Android vs iPhone

1s+0s

If I buy the app for one OS, why do I have to buy it again if I change phones? It seems buying the application, is buying the right to use the software. I paid my $9.99 for Android, now have an iPhone, and am told I have to buy it again. I'm not feeling that is fair. What do you think?

If I buy the app for one OS, why do I have to buy it again if I change phones? It seems buying the application, is buying the right to use the software. I paid my $9.99 for Android, now have an iPhone, and am told I have to buy it again. I'm not feeling that is fair. What do you think?

I think it is because it isn't "you" that buys the app, it's the "phone". New phone=new app.

I have just recently (3 weeks) started using the app. It would probably tick me off too, but what are ya gonna do.

I think it is because it isn't "you" that buys the app, it's the "phone". New phone=new app.

Android apps aren't tied to the device, they're tied to the Google account.

iPad/iPod/iPhone apps aren't tied to the device, they're tied to the iTunes Store account.

So if you buy the iPhone app today, when you get your iPhone 5 next fall it'll come right over, no re-purchase.

Similar story if you're using an Android device. If you connect your Google account to the new device, the app(s) will come along for the ride.

However, iTunes vs. Android Market are 2 separate entities, so if you have both an Apple device and and Android device, you'll have to purchase the app twice, once in the respective marketplace/store for each.

I paid for MS Office 2000, why should I have to pay again for MS office 2012?

You don't have to. You can keep using that old version of Office until you move up to a version of Windows that doesn't support it. You also don't have to constantly upgrade Windows, you can keep running what you've got until your hardware doesn't support it anymore.

But your analogy is pretty flawed because they're (mobile device vs. desktop app) completely different environments & software distribution models.

Edited by dakboy

I just moved to a new house. I bought a refrigerator when I moved in to my old house. The new house didn't come with a refrigerator. Now I have to buy a refrigerator for the new house. This is unfair. Someone should give me a free refrigerator each time I move in to new house. Oh wait, we are talking about software. That's completely different. Never mind. :ph34r:

I understand what you are talking about but this is an industry wide practice. The people you need to be talking to are the app store owners. They have more control over this than the software developers.

You don't have to. You can keep using that old version of Office until you move up to a version of Windows that doesn't support it. You also don't have to constantly upgrade Windows, you can keep running what you've got until your hardware doesn't support it anymore.

But your analogy is pretty flawed because they're (mobile device vs. desktop app) completely different environments & software distribution models.

And nobody forced the OP to go out and buy a new phone.

Android apps aren't tied to the device, they're tied to the Google account.

iPad/iPod/iPhone apps aren't tied to the device, they're tied to the iTunes Store account.

So if you buy the iPhone app today, when you get your iPhone 5 next fall it'll come right over, no re-purchase.

Similar story if you're using an Android device. If you connect your Google account to the new device, the app(s) will come along for the ride.

However, iTunes vs. Android Market are 2 separate entities, so if you have both an Apple device and and Android device, you'll have to purchase the app twice, once in the respective marketplace/store for each.

I'll agree with this above. Different platforms, of course. You'll just have to pay for it. I think the OP's issue for the most part is that the official Geocaching App is one of the most expensive for ANY devices Marketplace. I don't have either, I have Windows Phone. But the only thing I've personally seen that runs $10 bucks (and I may have missed something) is a "learn a foreign language" app. I'll bet 99% of the paid apps I've seen run under $5, half the price of the GC app.

It's only ten bucks, dude...skip Starbucks tomorrow.

Your analogy is flawed. MS Office 2012 has tons of updates/new features. As such you should pay an upgrade fee.

What is more accurate would be: I have this old slow computer with MS office 2000 on it. I bought a new computer that is faster and got rid of the old one. Why do I need to re-buy MS Office 2000? The answer is you dont, just re-install it.

The OP, however did something a bit different. They had a PC with MS office 2000 and bought a Mac. The PC version wont work on the Mac - you have to buy a new version for the Mac.

Ack - enough with the analogies. The long and short is the OP changed platforms - a new version is needed.

1330564591[/url]' post='4984693']

Technically, it is different software. While the out put of the software is basically the same, the nuts and bolts inside are differnt. Thinking that your buying the rights of the software isn't the whole story, you're also paying for development, which must be done seperately for iPhone and Android.

So unfortunately, You'll need to by it again.

BTW, who told you have to buy it again?

Is this somehow different from most other popular apps? If I buy Angry Birds for iPhone and change to an Android phone would I not have to re-purchase it?

No.

It's Free for ANDROID! :lol:

Wocka-wocka.

I don't own an iPhone, but don't all of their apps have to be purchased from their app store? I don't think that something you buy from their store would carry over to another product on another site (store).

Is this somehow different from most other popular apps? If I buy Angry Birds for iPhone and change to an Android phone would I not have to re-purchase it?

No.

It's Free for ANDROID! :lol:

Wocka-wocka.

I don't own an iPhone, but don't all of their apps have to be purchased from their app store? I don't think that something you buy from their store would carry over to another product on another site (store).

There's a pay version of Angry Birds for Android as well - it just has ads in it.

If you color completely inside the lines, all iOS apps must be purchased through Apple's store. If you jailbreak, there are other options available.

On Android, an easily-accessible checkbox toggles whether you can install apps from someplace other than Google's market. Once you've done that, you can use Amazon's appstore, or just install an APK you download from anywhere.