Log replacement

troutscott

Two options.

1. Post a NM log along with your find to notify the cache owner.

2. Replace it but email the CO and offer to send the log to them (most will say to chuck it).

Generally I'd do #1 but if it's a decent sized cache I'll put a new log in..and also post a NM.

Further to what has already been suggested, with a slight spin...

Three possibilities:

1. If you can't add or replace the log, then mention it in your find log and also create an NM (Needs Maint) log. If you have time, shoot a message to the CO too.
  2. If there's room to add a log book/sheet, just add it and mention it in your find log, and don't log an NM.
  3. If there isn't room to add a log sheet/book and you replace, mention it in your find log, don't post an NM, and email the CO about the old log.

Or just do what I do, throw the whole cache in the river and then start a rumor around town that Knowschad is pilfering caches.

Edited by Sky King 36

Not a dumb question at all. If anything, it shows you're interested in the hobby enough to care.

Nothing in the guidelines says you must do maintenance on a hide that's not yours. It's a personal choice.

We carry Rite-In-Rain strips in mini bags for replacement, giving the CO a little time to get out there for maintenance, but don't always use them.

If it's a well-done hide that just gets a lot of visits we will, but caches with no meaning/reason (to us, guardrail, lpc and the like) will just get a NM when we get home. Again, a personal choice.

If there's room, we leave the old log for the CO to pick up when he does that maintenance. If you take it, you're now responsible to send it to him if he wants it. Better to just leave it if possible.

Further to what has already been suggested, with a slight spin...

Three possibilities:

1. If you can't add or replace the log, then mention it in your find log and also create an NM (Needs Maint) log. If you have time, shoot a message to the CO too.
  2. If there's room to add a log book/sheet, just add it and mention it in your find log, and don't log an NM.
  3. If there isn't room to add a log sheet/book and you replace, mention it in your find log, don't post an NM, and email the CO about the old log.

Or just do what I do, throw the whole cache in the river and then start a rumor around town that Knowschad is pilfering caches.

Good advice, except the part about throwing the cache in the river. The nearest trash can will usually suffice and then you're not littering!

I don't usually hunt micros or nanos. It didn't even occur to me that there may not be room for another log.

I would never replace a logbook if it meant I had to remove the existing one. I would simply log a NM. I might insert a fresh logbook if I happened to have one along and there was room.

As a cache owner though I'm kind of particular about my logbooks, so would rather others simply log a NM and let me take care of it.

I would never replace a logbook if it meant I had to remove the existing one. I would simply log a NM. I might insert a fresh logbook if I happened to have one along and there was room.

As a cache owner though I'm kind of particular about my logbooks, so would rather others simply log a NM and let me take care of it.

As a general rule I will only take an old logbook with permission of the owner and then i always offer to mail it to them.

If there is room - feel free to add a new logbook/logsheet. Just leave the old one and note that it needs picked up.

This. If you do that on My cache I will replace the log and invite you to log a found it UNLESSI get there and the log isn't full. I don't really want anyone doing maintenance on my caches.

I remember that about you. You said something like this in a similar thread years ago. I was curious then and I'm curious now. Why don't you want a temporary logbook left in your caches?

this same topic is being discussed in an active thread called "dumb question". there is some good advice there. I am not sure what you should do with a micro or nano that doesn't have room for a new log but I believe the general consensus is to post NM and send a message to the owner.

If the cache will support a new log and you have one,just add it to the cache, leave the old one,post Needs Maintenance if you want to, and send a message to the owner.

Edit: SPEELENG

Edited by Trinity's Crew

I'd be pretty ticked off if you disposed of one of my cache logs without asking. I'd be pretty ticked off if you removed it from the cache period.

Us old-timers tend to have caches with enough space for a full logbook, and a replacement logbook.

Please don't remove the full logbook.

Thanks for leaving the replacement, though. :)

I'd be pretty ticked off if you disposed of one of my cache logs without asking. I'd be pretty ticked off if you removed it from the cache period.

I never suggested that. You didn't frame your response in a way that suggested you only opposed removal of your existing log. You only said you didn't like the idea of someone placing another log in your cache.

I already acknowledged that I hadn't considered situations involving a cache too small to handle a second log book. I can assure you I'd NEVER remove or throw away a log book.

Maybe I just misunderstood your posts. Do you oppose a replacement log if the original log is left in the cache in tact?

Edited by Trinity's Crew

Us old-timers tend to have caches with enough space for a full logbook, and a replacement logbook.

Please don't remove the full logbook.

Thanks for leaving the replacement, though. :)

+1 If you do add anew log, either say so in your online log or drop the CO an email.

Maybe I just misunderstood your posts. Do you oppose a replacement log if the original log is left in the cache in tact?

I'm thinking Briansnat was responding to the OP's question of "If you replace a log in someone else's cache can you just dispose of the old one?"

edit: typo

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm thinking Briansnat was responding to the OP's question of "If you replace a log in someone else's cache can you just dispose of the old one?"

edit: typo

In the other thread on this subject Brian posted this:

I remember that about you. You said something like this in a similar thread years ago. I was curious then and I'm curious now. Why don't you want a temporary logbook left in your caches?

I asked him about it and then got confused toggling between threads and assumed

I was reading his response to my question in the other thread.

Either that, or it's a vast conspiracy and the threads were manipulated to make me look stupid. Well, more stupid.

As a general rule I will only take an old logbook with permission of the owner and then i always offer to mail it to them.

If there is room - feel free to add a new logbook/logsheet. Just leave the old one and note that it needs picked up.

I agree.

The only time I have removed a log was from a friend's cache and I was going to see him 2 days later at an event. I don't think I would have removed it even though I knew him if I wasn't going to see him before he could get to the cache.

I feel if the CO is so picky about saving log sheet or log book, they should be keeping the cache maintenance from the get go.

What is very annoying is finding a nano thats so full and the CO been ignoring need maintenance log for 3 months or longer. In that case, I will disposed it. Sorry if I upset you but CO is to keep on top of things. I feel 3 months plenty of time unless its a high volume cache.

I owned plenty of freeway caches (high volume caches) and switch out the logsheet or booklog regularly.