Geocaching in Florida Any problems ?

Mirage29

I've been down in Florida for about 2 years (from Michigan) and have noticed that 9 out of 10 Geocaches are not even close to where CO's have them......and I mean off by 30 - 50 feet. My Michigan finds just the opposite 9 out of 10 GZ's have been right on. Anyone else have this problem or is it just me ?? Thanks for all of your responses.

I find that to be a problem with newbies...using a cell phone gps to hide a cache is worthless.... And I've also found using a cell phone to find a cache to be worthless...

Just do a search...narrow down whose caches to hunt by Premium Member Only, favorites points and more experienced cachers. I have only 12 hides and about 260 finds, but I double and triple check my coords, give decent clues, and update clues if people seem to have trouble.

Search Cachemedics caches in Palm Harbor/Tampa area if you like amazing urban/drive bys with cool hand made containers....or mine if you like parks, letterbox hybrids or bridges with cool views. ;)

I think FL has a lot of vacationers who use cell phones to make hides...and also the geography can make it difficult to give good clues.

9 out of 10 Geocaches are not even close to where CO's have them......and I mean off by 30 - 50 feet.

My husband and I were just in Saint Petersburg, FL last week and conpleted two "Power Runs" starting in Duette, FL (1 hr SE of ST Petes). I would say over 50% of the caches in the first run were off quite a bit. I didn't keep track of all of the ones that were off but did jot down the ones that were 30-50' off. We saw this on quite a few and then there were a large portion that were between 15-25' off. We had NO cell phone signal whatsoever so not sure if the CO used their phone to get the cords which would explain this problem. I had to start relying on instinct on where I thought the cache could be. Out of the 197 we searched for, we were able to find 192. I had wondered if the other 5 were maybe in a different spot than what the coords specified.

9 out of 10 Geocaches are not even close to where CO's have them......and I mean off by 30 - 50 feet.

My husband and I were just in Saint Petersburg, FL last week and conpleted two "Power Runs" starting in Duette, FL (1 hr SE of ST Petes). I would say over 50% of the caches in the first run were off quite a bit. I didn't keep track of all of the ones that were off but did jot down the ones that were 30-50' off. We saw this on quite a few and then there were a large portion that were between 15-25' off. We had NO cell phone signal whatsoever so not sure if the CO used their phone to get the cords which would explain this problem. I had to start relying on instinct on where I thought the cache could be. Out of the 197 we searched for, we were able to find 192. I had wondered if the other 5 were maybe in a different spot than what the coords specified.

Thank you both for responding. I cache with a Delorme PN40 and normally have no problem. I do appreciate both of you feedback !!! Good luck in your search !!!!!

Haven't notice problems like that here in the central part of Florida. Most hides are spot on (within 5') of where my GPSr takes me. A few are about 5-20', very rarely does one take me further than that. Could it be that 9 out of 10 caches that you search for are from the same person or group? If so, you might want to avoid hides from them.