New Cache Icons?

Amazingracer

Ok Im not trying to start anything here.

Why do the cache icons keep changing?

I like the old ones(3d blue/red ones) they matched the decor of the site and looked very nice, but what in thw orld is up with these new things? They look out of place and to me are an eye sore. IMHO.

So why the change?

Also why did the title (the text at the top of your browser ie. "New Cache Icons? - Powered by Infopop - Microsoft Internet Explorer") for the cache pages change? Because now hen you are looking up a bunch of caches, say planning a cache run, you have to guess what page is which becasue they ALL say the same thing.

I highly recommend that be changed back to the old way of displaying Waypoint and cache name.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose? icon_eek.gif

I third that. I came to the forums scratching my head, hoping for an explanation for the icon change. The old ones looked really nice, but these new ones look like something I'd make, and I'm no artist. While icons aren't really important enough to make a scene over, I'd love to at least hear the reason for the change, if we can't get the old ones back.

Think they changed them to match the new map icons.

A little change is good for the soul.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by Amazingracer:

Also why did the title (the text at the top of your browser ie. "New Cache Icons? - Powered by Infopop - Microsoft Internet Explorer") for the cache pages change? Because now hen you are looking up a bunch of caches, say planning a cache run, you have to guess what page is which becasue they ALL say the same thing.

I highly recommend that be changed back to the old way of displaying Waypoint and cache name.

I don't see it. I just checked a couple of pages, and they browser title is the waypoint ID, followed by the cache name and owner.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

There was a short hiccup today as I moved over some files to the server. The cache names are back.

Yeah, still tweaking the icons. They work well within the maps but not so much on the cache pages. Some didn't like the old designs, some like and don't like the new ones. I may "flip" them back to the old designs and research other alternatives.

smile.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Stupid question...

I could try to create some Icons; I am not bad since I do this fairly regularly for my job, If I created some, would you look at them or just reject them outright?

I don't know if I have the time, but I would try if there were a chance they would be looked at.

Let me know

DirtRunner

Your not first...But you could be next.

The only one I don't like is the ghost used for the Locationless and Virtuals...just a tad on the silly side.

Not that I've got any better ideas, though...but I'll think about it. The others look pretty good to me...and yes, one way or another I think it's a great idea to keep them consistant with the maps.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Gamma Ray Foil Heads:

Please oh please could there be a different icon for "micro" caches? I get all excited to see a new "traditional" cache only to find out it's a micro. Nothing against micros, just prefer to hunt for regular caches. Anyone else feel the same?

Hi!

When you have found some 100 - 200 caches, you will probably see that regular caches can be almost any size that is little big bigger than film canister (i.e. small regular) or little bit smaller than 5 gallon bucket (i.e large regular).

Jeremy what if you guys changed the cache icons on the map to old icons?

I dont know if that would work or what ever but that wouldve seen more logical than change the main icons to the map iconns, IMHO.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

The new icons are hideous. And an eyesore. They are hideous eyesores. Maybe they are fine for the maps but they just make the cache pages and the whole website experience a lot less enjoyable. Especially that stupid ghost. Gross. Please please please oh please change them back.

Thanks,

InkyCat

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Hi!

When you have found some 100 - 200 caches, you will probably see that regular caches can be almost any size that is little big bigger than film canister (i.e. small regular) or little bit smaller than 5 gallon bucket (i.e large regular).

Aye, Cap'n!! Well, I suppose you're right. In my neck of the woods we seem to have an abundance of micro caches that are Bison capsules/log only/no trade items. I just get a kick out of being able to trade items. So maybe I'll head over to the discussion of "Icons for MicroCaches". But first I might as well register my opinion on the New Cache Icons: Two Thumbs Up!

I'm looking for additional icons, well, just one really. I don't really care about the LOOK of the icons, only their function, except the virtual. That stupid ghost is going after Halloween, right? What does that have to do with the web page theme? They could be letters, as long as people knew what the letters meant, but many people would think those ... boring.

There are two questions: Do they convey the useful information? ("traditional"/regular, multi, MICRO (hint, hint), virtual, event, etc.) Do they fit in with the design theme of the geocaching.com web pages?

Also night caches, mini caches, locationless, water (boat or scuba req'd), photo (just a logbook and a camera in the cache), perhaps even ones that can be solved with map/compass, etc.

Maybe even the ability to combine applicable icons

(like a compass available, micro, water, night cache)

"I'm not Responsible... just ask my wife, She'll confirm it"

I assumed that the GHOST for virtual and locationless is because those types are no longer available... and therefore DEAD. As in they are no longer being approved.

No sarcasm intended, if you read any it was merely a perception issue.

Smile and the world wonders what you are up to.

There is a time and place for everything.

It's called 'college'