Leap Frog Day

Harry Dolphin

I have lots of empty days in my stats and I can't say filling them really interests me much. But you never know, it might become interesting sometime in the next four years. And there's a micro I hadn't rushed to get because, well, it's a micro, but it's walking distance from my office. So today I got it.

I'm planning on attending a Leap Day event this evening as well. There's been a winter weather advisory which sounded like it could have produced some nasty driving conditions so I went out this morning before work and found a cache on a puzzle cache that I had solved awhile back but saved it to find today if, for some reason I couldn't attend the event.

When I first checked the site this morning there were no new caches published nearby but about 15 minutes before I left a couple came up, including a puzzle cache. I gave a stab at the puzzle and thought I had a solution but the geochecker denied me. I just checked the site again and now there are about 5 new caches placed for todays event. I checked that puzzle cache and the CO had edited the puzzle to fix a number (which caused me to enter the wrong numbers into the geochecker). It also looks like there are 8 or so cachers out finding the new caches (isn't anyone working today?)

I'm not in the process of filling in my calendar, but I'm going to grab a cache today just in case I ever decide to do it. Don't want to have to wait another few years if I do decide to go for it.

It's mixed snow and rain right now and pretty nasty. I planned on bagging it after work so I packed a raincoat and a flashlight just in case.

Busy day today but managed time for 1 dnf and one successful puzzle completion. Tonight is an fm event followed by a couple of nightcaches. All in all a great day.

I remember the first time I saw a Calendar challenge, I figured I've been caching for awhile already... I must be getting close. Turned out not only was I over 100 days away but I hadn't even cached 365 days total yet. Stats and perception never gel for me :D

Never really thought about what days we were caching on, until a few weeks ago when CJ asked if we could stop since, "We never found a cache on this day."

- So one of us thinks it fun to keep track. :laughing:

She stopped at a railtrail hide on the way to my house today, "Just in case this crappy weather (snow/sleet) kept us from the event in Jersey."

- Apparently it adds this "day" to the cache calendar and presents a souvenir from Groundspeak. :rolleyes:

Hit the event in Hanover,NJ that was inside the REI store. Very cool.

She was looking for a new climbing harness and found one that fit well. I was lifting her by the belay loop and an employee noticed and asked if we wanted rope. (?) He unfurled a rope attached to the ceiling and CJ was able to hang just like we were outdoors. Cabela's is now in second place for her favorite stop. ;)

So all-in-all a happy Leap Frog day !

Last night we attended our first local event, and got to put some faces to several caching names we've seen over the last couple of years. And, I finally got to meet Sol Seeker, whose name I imediately recognised from the forums- what a sweetie! (Sol Seeker told me I need to post more, instead of lurking as I tend to do, so here I am). Then, two special night caches were published for the event, and we've never done a real night cache. So what does Momma do? I took our 8 year old out, past her bedtime, trapesing around unfamiliar woods, in the dark, WHILE SNOWING, with total strangers (who will forevermore be thought of as dear friends). Best night ever! When all was said and done we had logged 10 caches for the day, not many by forum standards, but a personal thecaswellfamily record. Yay! We'll be high on the whole experience for some time to come!

I was able to grab 13 or 14 physical caches, 2 stages of a 5/5 multi I've been working on, and an event cache. It was a spectacularly fun day, leap day or otherwise :lol:

Maybe it isn't just me, but I'm rather enjoying this angst free three that's basically just a bunch of geocachers describing the geocaching experiences on a specific day.

I'm tempted to pick some random day in the future, start a new thread just before "the new day" starts near the international date line, and ask people to post about their geocaching experience that day, then ask a moderator to close the thread 24 hours later.

asked a bunch of my friends to take the day off like 6 months ago so we could all finish off the calendar together and have an excuse to cache in an area we rarely hit. We probably got 300 combined finds to the total, and I used the excuse to finally host my 1st event, so was a good day.