Double Login

Cachier

quote:
Originally posted by damgiz:

I was having to log in twice, until I found the little box in the login screen which asks you to check it if you wish to login to the discussion group.

Even that doesn't seem to work all the time unfortunantly. It seems like sometimes OpenTopic doesn't have a problem, and others I have to refresh 2-4 times.

Iron Chef

I have checked the box as well and always seem to have to login twice before it knows I am here.

I have also noticed that sometimes it will forget I am still here and reset all the groups to no new messages long before I have read them all. Then I have to go in to each one and manually figur out which ones I haven't read yet.

I've been using a different browser for a lot of web stuff.

Specifically this one.

"The Off By One Web Browser -snip- with full HTML 3.2 support. "

It doesn't do java/script or much more of anything other than plain-Jane hypertext. What is it about this browser that won't allow me to log in here or anyplace else for that matter? (IE5.5 works just fine)

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

What is it about this browser that won't allow me to log in here or anyplace else for that matter? (IE5.5 works just fine)

I'm haven't had any experience with that browser, so I'm not sure exactly, but the logins on Geocaching.com are cookie based. So if you're having problems with logging in to Geocaching.com with a persistent cookie, then there's something funny with the way that browser handles cookies.

On the other hand, the forums need to get your login status from the Geocaching site; it doesn't maintain its own cookies. And there are only a few times when Geocaching.com posts your login status to the forums:

• When you log into Geocaching.com and select "Also login to the forums"
  • When you have a persistent cookie set (or active Geocaching.com session) and you use the http://www.geocaching.com/login/forums.asp link
  • You have a persistent cookie set (or active Geocaching.com session) and click Login from the forums (sometimes twice)

Let me know if this is helpful or not. I'd be happy to help you try to track down whatever is causing your login issues.

-Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

Let me know if this is helpful or not. I'd be happy to help you try to track down whatever is causing your login issues. -Elias

Thanks, I don't want to take your time away from whatever else in on your to-do list. Since IE works okay it isn't worth worrying about. This browser can utilize cookies (stored as memory resident rather than to disk).

I was just curious if this had to do with some form of script, HTML 4.0, or something else I can mentally point to.

This isn't the only site that gives me raspberries when I use that browser.

I still like the fact that there ain't-nuffin that can attack it, since it just displays hypertext. This site is safe and secure so the point is moot.

Get back to work on more important stuff (like reorganizing your sock drawer)

I use the AOL 7.0 browser (some variant of MSIE). While playing with the privacy settings the other night, I found, by moving to 'HIGH' privacy protection, it causes cookies to be rejected. I was unable to log onto the forum until I reset the privacy setting to medium high where cookies are accepted.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

I also use AOL. I auto-log in to Geocaching first then come to the forums. It says "Hello Crusso" so it recognizes me but when I try to reply to my first message it boots me back to the forum main page (still logged in) & I have to go back to the same message & post my reply. Wierd, huh?