I would love an added search option...

Choachy

After clicking on the advanced cache search option from the geocaching home page, I would love the option to filter for certain cache types. For example, seach for everything except virtual caches. Or search for only multi-caches. icon_confused.gif

I did a quick search for this in previous threads, and didnt come up with much like it...I apologize if its been brought up already.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

On the main Geocaching page, there should be a link on the right to "become a charter member." Becoming a charter member let's you set up up to 5 pocket queries: queries that are done directly off of the cache database where the results are e-mailed to you once a day at most (once a week, minimum).

You can receive the results in loc file format (for EasyGPS/ExpertGPS) or in GPX format (which ClayJar's and other's programs are designed to read). A few people are having problems with the GPX, but all of those problems will be worked out in no time, I'm sure.

On that pocket query, you can limit the caches to a proximity to a point, limit it to all caches in one state (max 500), or caches you found or not found, specific types of caches, etc., etc. But doing this on the pocket query side means that you won't actually have the caches that don't fit your criteria. If you want to just filter them, you need something like ClayJar's Watcher program (scan the Geocaching.com forum to find out more - I think the thread has something to do with "customized search").

The other benefits of being a charter member include unlimited number of caches on your watch list (only 100 for everyone else); Members Only caches (not that big of a deal) and other future features.

The best part of it, though is that your subscription helps support this wonderful site.

Read up on it here. I'll be adding a line about pocket queries and what they are to my FAQ today.

OT - you've got some really nice caches in your area. Ought to try a few to the Northwest, like Giving Tree, Rocky Mountain High, Tribute to the Cumberland Trail. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Thank you very much for the information. Ive been playing with easyGPS and Watcher quite a bit in the past 24 hours, trying to learn the programs. I ran into what you said about the gpx not working quite right. I intend to become a charter member, just havent gotten around to doing so. icon_wink.gif Doing a pocket query sounds useful enough.

OT Reply: I just happen to have rocky mountain high, and Tribute to Cumberland trail on my watch list. Ive been looking forward to getting to those soon!

After reading a reply I got on another thread from Clayjar about his Watcher program, I still think it would be useful for geocaching.com to have a refined search option to filter for cache types. This seems reasonable without needing 1 or 2 more third party apps. Not saying I wont be using easyGPS and Watcher, because I will, but a quick search filter from the webpage seems ideal.

Making this function a member only option would not be a problem, becuase Ive intended all along to become a charter member.

Any additional restrictions on a query (only virtuals, exclude virtuals, only multi's, certain range of terrain and/or difficulty, etc.) takes up server load (especially if they are run again and again for mining purposes).

One reason the pocket queries are e-mailed is that the load for these is taken up during the middle of the night in the US - when the servers are much more idle. These results are then e-mailed to your home computer where you can do all the querying and data mining you wish without impacting the server load.

===============

Back in the olden days, each cache page was dynamically linked to each user so that the page checked how many finds the user currently had when the page was loaded.

The server load was getting too cumbersome and the results took 30 seconds plus to get an answer back (sometimes even timing the server out if you had an übercacher in your area). To speed up the process, Jeremy decided to "cache" the cache pages, so that only when the page was significantly altered (changes by the user, a new log) would the page scroll all of the information to update everything.

That really helped the server load and consequently improved the response time on the cache pages.

timer tangent>

===============

If your suggested filter were implemented on the cache search page, I would be worried that the increase in server load would eventually be significant.

This type of filtering and querying is EXACTLY why Jeremy made pocket queries available.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I can respect that answer, as I manage several servers myself. Processing time == money. We dont want a lot of angry cachers out there, because the servers are slow to respond. I'd rather have reliability, too. icon_wink.gif

Maybe keep this in mind however, when the resources become available. icon_biggrin.gif

Not to totally take this off topic but I just have to say:

"Watcher! Watcher! Watcher!"

Watcher, coupled with my pocket queries, is an unbeatable combination. I pretty much use it exclusively at the moment.

But yeah, Watcher is a great data mining tool for pocket queries.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

The more I use it, the more I like it. And now that I finally know how to export, and load gpx files into it. I thought you could load from EasyGPS, files you created on your own, but I was incorrect.

I appreciate Watcher and all the work that has gone into it. Cant wait to see how it progresses.

I can ask this elsewhere if needed, but...

I know that Watcher is only about 6 weeks old, and still growing, but is there an FAQ out there on basic use from setting up the pocket query, and so on?

Choachy, I'm delighted that you, too, are now a Watcher fan!

I agree that it would help a lot if there were better explanations about GPX and the new software being developed. But there's hope! Just today, Markwell mentioned in another thread that he is updating his FAQ page to include a discussion of pocket queries. Also today, ClayJar mentioned that he would like to someday write some user documentation for Watcher. Both pieces would be welcome additions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

OK, I've been seeing so much raving about Watcher, I downloaded it. Now what? I opened one GPX file and it showed 0 out of 451 caches. I opened another one and I got an out of memory error. Is there any documentation on how to use it?

Feel free to Markwell me to the right place. Just, please, be gentle. icon_wink.gif

65614_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Just today, Markwell mentioned in another thread that he is updating his FAQ page to include a discussion of pocket queries.

Don't get your hopes up too much. I only included a cursory definition of pocket queries for those who have NO idea what they are. Here it is. I took it from a perspective that Criminal asked from over here.

If someone wants to give me some information that goes into further detail about GPX and XML, I'd be glad to put more info on a separate page on my FAQ. But even I don't know enough about it to be able to write out all the details.

Maybe I just need to interview CJ in his chatroom someday and put that interview up on the page.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

-edited for exteremly bad pre-coffee typing

[This message was edited by Markwell on January 29, 2003 at 08:59 AM.]