FTF Caches

mineraljim47

We have a man here in WV that sits in front of his computer and watches for FTF Caches to be placed.

He then runs out and finds them all he has 400 FTF believe it or not. I have as well as my wife hasbeen caching for 1 year now. And have never found a FTF . But we came close twice 2nd on one and 4th on another.

I do not appreciate any one hogging FTF and tearing up cache logs where he was not first to find.

My question is when is Groundspeak gonna step up and eliminate that kind of FTF folks.

What say you folks about this matter.

Personally I feel anyone who would rip up any log sheet like that doesn't have a place in this hobby/sport.

I agree but I sense some angst and maybe over exaggeration from the OP

Besides, if he was real serious he'd have instant notifications set up on his smart phone and be sitting in his car waiting for the caches to come out..

Edited by Roman!

Folks haven't had to sit in front of the computer looking for FTFs for some time. Instant notifications on smart phones are the rage for FTF hounds now.

If it appears someone's "hogging" FTFs, he apparently doesn't have much competition. That's all.

We have over three hundred FTFs ourselves and we're far from power-cachers.

Unless you're there when it's done, how do you know that this individual is tearing up cache logs when his FTF goal isn't met? Blaming someone without proof isn't playing nice.

We have a man here in WV that sits in front of his computer and watches for FTF Caches to be placed.

He then runs out and finds them all he has 400 FTF believe it or not. I have as well as my wife hasbeen caching for 1 year now. And have never found a FTF . But we came close twice 2nd on one and 4th on another.

I do not appreciate any one hogging FTF and tearing up cache logs where he was not first to find.

My question is when is Groundspeak gonna step up and eliminate that kind of FTF folks.

Only 400? He has barely started. Subasonic had over 1500 the last time he was here bragging about it. And your friend probably does not sit in front of the computer all day long, he probably had instant notification turned on and his cell phone rings when one is published. No doubt a smartphone that he also uses as his GPS. And what would you want Groundspeak to do about this? He found the cache and signed the log, sounds like a legitimate find to me. And do you know for a fact he tears up logs he is not FTF on? Did you watch him do it?

The issue of running like mad for an FTF (perfectly legitimate) and tearing up log sheets (absolutely inappropriate) are two completely different issues. Blurring them into a single problem as if they are interwoven isn't productive.

And it leads to this question... How would you suggest that Groundspeak notify YOU of new caches, in such a way that the other FTF hound is not also notified? Whether notifications are sent by text, e-mail, or, they just show up on the map with no fanfare... no matter how they show up, others are going to see them at the same time you do, and some of them, like the FTF chaser you mentioned, will be no exception. You are a premium member, have you looked at setting up notifications?

Rewording my post after a re-read of the OP...

Anyway...

"My question is when is Groundspeak gonna step up and eliminate that kind of FTF folks."

By doing, what exactly? Please be specific.

Edited by Sky King 36

That is being overly obsessed. But it's all in the FTF game. I have over 320 FTFs. Last Sunday I got 5 in one day and that was without looking at my computer. One I didn't even know it was there because I don't have letterboxes on my notifications. Someone asked if I found it. I was only a couple miles away on a country road. Two of them I was co FTF with someone I ran into while searching. Some had been sitting for hours. That day was just a lucky day for me.

well, if you have a nut or two or three, whatever in your area who loves FTFs, it will make you appreciate the ones you get even more. As Ric Flair would say, to be the man, you have the beat the man. To me, as long as they beat you fair and square, let them.

To me its not worth the stop light angst most of the time.

Edited by lamoracke

I had a long story about an FTF experience all drawn up, but dumped it when I realized that it wouldn't soothe the OP anyways.

I am sorry that you are faced with having such (as you put it) an FTF hound in your neck 'o the woods. I guess it just goes to show you that he who has the most at the end of the world, wins. From your post, if he does as you say it sounds like he is truly a part of the 'ME' society.

As nØØbs, we too were frustrated at the apparent inability to snatch up an FTF or two. To top that off, there are no 'FTF hounds' where we reside. Eventually we garnered a few, then came a point in time when it seemed that rush for the FTF was, well..... almost senseless. True, we had gathered a few more by that time. Now, we simply do not even try to get there right away. Oddly enough, after seeing new placements, waiting a week or so, we still manage one now and again. But we simply don't fly out the door to grab them anymore.

Maybe it's a matter of "we have enough". Perhaps it's just that it doesn't really matter. We find that geocaching is much more enjoyable if we aren't concerned about such things. But, that's us. I think we simply cleared that hurdle and being 3rd, 23rd or 123rd is pretty much the same as being 1st.

I do hope that you score your FTF sometime. Perhaps then you'll have it under your belt and then you can move along, 'hounds' not withstanding.

Edit: context

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

FTF will happen. Don't make it your "everything", or you're bound for more disappointment.

If you have PROOF that this cacher is the one "tearing up cache logs", then there is a possibility you can bring it to the attention of Groundspeak. Otherwise, get involved in your local geocaching community organization--or create one if it doesn't exist. Raise the bar, and raise awareness about guidelines, etiquette, etc.

Groundspeak will not likely get involved at all, at any level, if this is just about a "FTF Hog". The 1st person to find is, in actuality, no different from the 301st.

From there,

Would getting the ftf really make you feel good knowing that the ftf hound stepped back and just gave it to you?

Like most other important things in life :P , you have to work for ftfs sometimes. The cacher who is getting them probably isn't in front of his computer. I would bet that he is getting notified via his cellphone which just about anyone with premium membership and a cellphone can set up.

On your statement about tearing up logs,,, If this is true, then something does need to be done. Maybe start by emailing the owners of said caches what you are finding.

Groundspeak does not officially recognize FTF, even though they make our lives easier by letting us set up notifications. Therefore, I don't foresee them doing anything to help YOU get FTF and not somebody else. What would you like them to do? Notify you and nobody else?

"If you're not first, you're last" - Reese Bobby (Talladega Nights)

I say..."If you can't play with the big dogs then get off the porch" :laughing:

Unless you have instant notifications you have no chance against him. We only have 630 FTFs(got one today)but whos counting :laughing: . I say give up on the FTF race if you can't handle being beat. It happens A LOT in the race to FTF. It's ALL about timing. Good luck.

Oh and GS won't help you either. :laughing::anibad:

Groundspeak does not officially recognize FTF, even though they make our lives easier by letting us set up notifications. Therefore, I don't foresee them doing anything to help YOU get FTF and not somebody else. What would you like them to do? Notify you and nobody else?

"If you're not first, you're last" - Reese Bobby (Talladega Nights)

I was thinking of that same quote. :laughing: It's Ricky Bobby though.

I think you need to look at your priorities vs. his priorities with regards to this game. First of all - I read your profile - congratulations on your weight loss. Seriously - it seems like your goal is primarily about fitness. I think this is an EXCELLENT goal and one that you are by all appearances succeeding at. So I really don't think you have anything to feel bad about - you are clearly succeeding at one of your goals for this game. (Hopefully you are also having fun doing this.)

The fellow with 400 FTF's has more FTF than you have finds of any type. I'd bet that he finds a lot more caches than you do - FTF or otherwise. If a person's goal is to find lots of caches and to be FTF on lots of caches, there are ways to play this game to accomplish those goals. But I'll be honest - I think your personal fitness goal with this game is probably better, at least for you, so if I were you I would just be happy with your success, and not worry so much about what someone else is doing.

There are VERY few caches I've ever seen that merited a big race to FTF. There was a temporary cache in DFW that offered sometimes seriously BIG prizes for the FTF (I think the biggest was a $50-$100 gift certificate to a local restaurant), and the bragging rights were worth it too - because if you weren't FTF on the cache, it was then gone. The hides also tended to be wicked hard (and frequently violated lotsa current GS guidelines.) As you might expect, the competition over one of these was pretty fierce, and did not always bring out the best behavior in people. But other than something like that where there is a real prize at stake (I'd also count a few neat signature items in this category), I don't really care about FTF and don't see what the big deal is. It's neat if you get one, and I know some people enjoy the competition, but it doesn't seem to me to be worth the stress you are obviously feeling over it.

Still, I understand that some enjoy the competition for FTF, so if you are going to play the FTF game, be prepared to put a lot of time into it, because in my experience, it is not a slow paced, gentle type race. You either go for it or you don't. If you don't have the time or energy to put into it - don't be upset, just understand that this isn't going to be a part of the game that you will do well at. If you aren't willing or able to put in the effort to get there first, well, it is just going to be difficult for you.

Would getting the ftf really make you feel good knowing that the ftf hound stepped back and just gave it to you?
You bet. I feel just great when the local FTF hound backs off and lets others have a chance. He does that quite often as long as he's had his one for the month: apparently he has a string of at least one FTF every month going back a few years now. Of course, him backing off just means the second tier of about a dozen lesser hounds are in the hunt, so it's still a considerable challenge.

One thing we sometimes do is give the FTF hound a call and arrange to meet him for the FTF hunt. Normally he's at GZ by 6:30am, but he's willing to be lazy and get there at 7:30 if you ask him to wait for you.

One thing we sometimes do is give the FTF hound a call and arrange to meet him for the FTF hunt. Normally he's at GZ by 6:30am, but he's willing to be lazy and get there at 7:30 if you ask him to wait for you.

He waits until morning?! Around these parts, if you don't head out right away, no matter the time of day, you don't have a snowball's chance in a hot place. We have dozens of cachers that will go for FTFs, depending on the area. Many of us know where the other FTF hounds live, and therefore know how much of a chance we have based on where the cache comes out.

To the OP: If you really want to get a FTF, you're going to have to use notifications, preferably sending to a cell phone. That way, no matter where you are, you get notified the moment a cache is published. You'll also have to be prepared to get out of the house as quickly as possible. I keep things like my flashlight, pen, etc. near the door so I can grab them as I head out.

In five years we've managed to get 51 FTFs, I think. For the most part, we quit chasing them after #50; I just happened to be the first on our latest one. (So far I think I'm the only one, too. Lemme check -- yup.)

When I first got started, I had FTF fever. I'd wake up in the morning, see a cache or two had posted, and get out the door as soon as I could, only to find again and again that someone else had gotten there. Took me a few months to get our first FTF. I got frustrated at first, it seemed like the same folks were getting them over and over.

So I bet for every one of our FTFs that were in areas with a lot of cachers, there were at least two other new hides where someone else beat us to it. Several of our FTFs were simply in places where other folks just weren't able or willing to make the effort to go find them. Some were just a little ways outside of town, others required a bit more effort, like crawling through a lava cave in Iceland (not hard, but messy) or getting a flight to Iwo Jima (still not sure how I pulled that one off).

These days having instant notification go to the phone puts folks a leg up on the FTF race. I'm just too cheap to invest in a data plan that isn't crap -- I get enough internets at work and at home, I don't need it on the go. So I revised my attitude. If I happen to get more FTFs, swell. If I never get another one, that's fine, too. Plenty of other ways to have fun at this game.

I think others have offered great advice, especially Mr Benchmark

To beat an FTF hound you have to learn what they do. First you probably need a smart phone (my FTFs have increased a good deal since I got mine). Keep your geobag stocked in your car or by your door. Have your GPS handy.

I jump in the car and if I know the area well just punch in coords to my handheld at a stoplight. If I don't know where I'm going I have to punch in the coords to the nuvi first.

You quickly learn work schedules, where people live, and how fast they drive. This helps because if a cache comes out 1 mile from another FTF hound and it's a 10 mile drive for me I'm out of the game (unless I know they're at work).

FTF is a race and trust me it is way more fun when you are competing against someone rather than being the only person.

I don't think you can stop it but if people are willing to play there is always the "Curse of the FTF" approach.

Of course you have checked that he DID find them right? There have been cases of people simply logging them online then yelling at anyone who dares challenge them. To me not worth the effort at all. I have a few but that's mostly due to low competition in the area. I have my eye on two that have gone unclaimed for a while, but most are on mountain tops or mostly on mountain tops. I've recovered from my last one, and hope to do the one placed last summer first, since it's only a couple of miles from here... all uphill once you get through the valley part(s). The other one is further afield. Spring bear season coming doesn't help either, I hate hungry Grizzlies and black bears, and the cougars stay up all the time and are even hungrier it seems.

Maybe you could tell him about these ones waiting... and let nature take it's course. Oh wait, that was the snow in the avalanche chutes you have to cross.

Doug 7rxc

My question is how do you expect Groundspeak to stop it?

Your observation about him tearing up logs is beside the point.

Edited by Castle Mischief

FTF is a side game that a small segment of geocachers participate in. I'm not one of them, but as I've understood it FTF is a competition.

What kind of competition would it be if some of the more accomplished competitors stepped aside? If you were in a race would you really feel good about winning it if all of the fastest runners withdrew and let you win?

What kind of competition would it be if some of the more accomplished competitors stepped aside? If you were in a race would you really feel good about winning it if all of the fastest runners withdrew and let you win?

+1

I get that it can be frustrating. However, it is a competition and eventually a cache will be published that will be alot closer to your home than the other persons. They can only drive so fast.

If you want to get FTF, you need to have a way of being notified instantly when a cache is published. This will require premium membership and setting up a notification. For me, I don't have a smartphone, so I have set my email up to make a noise every time an email comes in. Alot of caches are published in the evenings when I"m home so this works great.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

You'll also have to be prepared to get out of the house as quickly as possible. I keep things like my flashlight, pen, etc. near the door so I can grab them as I head out.

Preparation is important. We have our big flashlights and headlamps by the front door. Also pens and extra batteries. All ready to go. I also have my USB cable plugged into my computer and ready to go so it's a quick and easy matter of plugging in my GPS rather than hunting for a cable. We can get out of the house in less than a minute.

<snip>

If you were in a race would you really feel good about winning it if all of the fastest runners withdrew and let you win?

Well, Yeah! Good Lord!! Are you suggesting that I have to compete on an equal playing field and let the best person win?? (Please note that I remained politically correct and didn't say "best man".)

there will always be obsessive compulsive types in every field, competitive or otherwise, that take it to the extreme. I suggest letting them, and relaxing and not worrying about it. :) Everything in moderation.

Edited by sholomar

A couple of weeks ago there were some new caches in an industrial park about a mile from my house. On a Saturday night I noticed them and for most of them, a few people had logged finds. But I found one with no finds logged on the website, so I went out first thing Sunday morning and found it. When I got there, four or five people had signed the log but hadn't posted the find on geocaching.com. I was pretty hacked off for a while in the end I don't really care. It would have been nice of them to let a body know.

We all have the same chance at being FTF. You as a premium member can get new caches sent to your phone, I can't. My choice when I don't pay the $30. We have one person here who is FTF 80% of the time. It just makes us appreciate out own even more. And while I'm at it, doesn't the fact that you want the FTF's make you just as bad as the "FTF hound" I'm happy just finding a cache or two when I go out, after all isn't that what is called-geocaching, not racing?

Back when I first started caching, I got bit by the FTF bug. In those days there were not that many caches or cachers in my area so I did get a few. There was a team who used to be hot and heavy with FTFs, met them at an event and for a while enjoyed the competition. After a while FTF became unimportant to both of us and I enjoy caching more now then ever.

When notifications came out I set that up but got bored with all the notices, stepped back and stopped trying for the FTF. I have got a few since and now they really mean something.

Now about tearing up the cache log :angry: I'm sure the CO and maybe the lilly pad would be interested. You would need proof and the only way I can see that happening is to place a cache, sign the log FTF with a fake name then stake the cache out and video the act. :laughing:

You are entirely correct, he should stand down for a week or two and let you and the others get some of the FTF's too.

Then next month your golf buddies should give you gimmees on all putts inside of 8 feet.

Your fishing pals should make sure you hook all the biggest bass.

The best pie maker in the county should take the summer off so your wife can win a few blue ribbons at the county fair.

The best pitcher in your son's little league should have to pitch with his opposite arm every other game this summer too to make it more fair.

Or everyone can carry on as they are, and if they want to 'win' something they can make it a higher priority in their lives and work to attain that which they desire. If you want more FTF's add the insta-notify feature, keep the geomobile gassed up, and be prepared to bolt out the door anytime that special ring tone goes off. Good luck.

You are entirely correct, he should stand down for a week or two and let you and the others get some of the FTF's too.

Then next month your golf buddies should give you gimmees on all putts inside of 8 feet.

<etc., etc. etc.>

Some people seem compelled to make everything into a competition. I guess if you view the world that way, letting somebody else have the FTF doesn't make sense. For those of us who don't see everything in life as a win/lose proposition, the notion of letting somebody have the experience of an empty log doesn't fit in with the above examples.

One that Karl Marx would endorse.

Perhaps a FTF union could be created. Create a team of cachers to sign everyone else's name in the logbook for a large co-ftf at every cache. That might slow him down. :P

<etc., etc. etc.>

Some people seem compelled to make everything into a competition. I guess if you view the world that way, letting somebody else have the FTF doesn't make sense. For those of us who don't see everything in life as a win/lose proposition, the notion of letting somebody have the experience of an empty log doesn't fit in with the above examples.

Can't imagine too many out there that go for ftfs just to see an empty log. Well, yes they do, but i figure it's mostly because an empty log means they beat out the other ftf wannabes. It is a friendly competition for most..

I would guess that for the majority of cachers,,, experiencing that empty log would not be as satisfying if they knew it was given to them.

This comes up pretty often, my opinion is that if it upsets you that much not to be FTF then you should probably find a different area of caching you enjoy. Or step up your game.

SS

FTF is just a side game with nothing more than slightly different versions of locally unwritten guidelines.

FTF and 2 quarters will get you a can of soda from the machine over on Main Street. Come to think of it - the 2 quarters work equally well.

heck around here you can't even buy a ftf. its like the same 3 people on every one.

I recently had a legit FTF deleted by the co - a mother/daughter team, because they got mad at me for "stealing" their TB motel idea - as though they came up with the orig tb motel idea themselves- ridiculous! I simply placed my tb motel before they did causing insane anger and nasty rude comments on the logs they left after they went out and found my tb motel. They then deleted my FTF on a tricky actually illegal type of hide of theirs, to get back at me, saying I was "led to it " by them. Not true. I simply asked for a hint from the mother. Their cache has now nerv archived. Apparently this is being talked about somewhere here on the forums but I don't know where or how to find it. Anyone seen it?

Also, I do have notification emails sent to me when new caches close to me are published, on my iPhone, but how or where do you tell it to text you or make it ring? Many thanks,

K

One way to get good ftf numbers is to specialize in one particular area of geocaching. Like only ftf'ing webcam caches, or perhaps 5/5 caches. Me, I only ftf event caches. I have over 400 ftf's at event caches, including most of the geowoodstock ones. Sometimes I'll show up and log them days before they happen just to beat the others! In fact I've already logged geowoodstock X, so you all can back off that one.

Can u do that?! That can't BR possible. I just went to my first event and you can't actually log it till your there and sign the log. I assume your joshing, since I'm a newbie. But seriously if anyone can point me in the correct forum above for my query I'd appreciate it.