Search Options

bunkerdave

Okay, I know Jeremy's got his hands full, and is getting all our wishes accomplished as quickly as possible.

I was just going through the always insufferable tedium of downloading waypoints into my GPS using Expert GPS, and frankly, I am quite tired of it. I NEED to be able to download ALL the waypoints for a selected area into my GPS with a minimum number of clicks. I also need to not look at all the caches I have found. BEEN there, DONE that. NEXT! Here's my list:

First, block out the caches I have found (and preferably those I have no desire to find, as well)

Second, give me a bulk download of ALL the caches I haven't found for a region, preferably one that I set.

Third, if possible, I would like to be able to screen out caches by type and difficulty level. The more search options, the better.

Here's how it should work:

I decide to put a few hundred caches in my GPS, so I go to Geocaching.com, and type in a ZIP code, and set the range to, say 100 miles. When I hit "GO" all the caches within 100 miles of the ZIP code that I HAVEN'T found pop up, nice and neat, and when I click the "select all" button, it actually selects all the caches within 100 miles that I haven't found. Not just one page, but ALL of them. Then I hit download to EasyGPS, and all those caches are sucked into Easy/Expert GPS in "one fell swoop." I go to Easy/Expert GPS, and there they are. Beautifully cleaned, pressed and wrapped, ready for delivery. I click "Send to GPS" and off they go, like little lemmings, into my Little Green Buddy. 2-3 minutes later, I hit the road, secure in the knowledge that my GPS is chock full of a few hundred (maybe) geocaches I have not been to, waiting for me.

Okay, I know I sound like I am complaining mightily. Actually, I am delighted with what has been done so far. One of the reasons I am so in favor of the memberships is that I know that the only thing keeping some of these features from becoming reality is that Jeremy only has 24 hours in a day. And has to work, like the rest of us. I REALLY want to see Jeremy go full time in Groundspeak, for purely selfish reasons. I am super excited to see what he will think of next, and the sooner he gets to it full time, the less waiting I have to do. So let's get to it! BUY MEMBERSHIPS. The suspense is KILLING me. (and I am sick of clicking the download button)

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by bunkerdave:

I was just going through the always insufferable tedium of downloading waypoints into my GPS using Expert GPS, and frankly, I am quite tired of it.

I NEED to be able to download ALL the waypoints for a selected area into my GPS with a minimum number of clicks.

you can say that again!... just not so long icon_wink.gif

Actually I would like to see your ideas on geocaching too.

No matter where you go... there you are!

quote:

I was just going through the always insufferable tedium of downloading waypoints into my GPS using Expert GPS, and frankly, I am quite tired of it.

I NEED to be able to download ALL the waypoints for a selected area into my GPS with a minimum number of clicks.

you can say that again!... just not so long icon_wink.gif

Actually I would like to see your ideas on geocaching too.

No matter where you go... there you are!

I'm planning on creating options that you can create, which will allow you to do a filter request.

For example:

. Create a file of caches in the state of that I haven't found yet, and include traditional caches and virtual caches only between the ranges of 1 and 4 stars difficulty and 1 to 3 stars terrain. Send me a copy on a weekly basis on Friday.

. Create a file of caches that contain travel bugs and email it to me on a daily basis.

. Send me a Palm file of cache descriptions for the above requests.

The site will then a) generate the loc file and :D email it to you when you want it. The window will probably be several hours in case of high traffic.

Jeremy

quote:

Question on MOCs: First, are there any yet, and second, how to search for them?

I've seen a few by painstakingly searching by state (since they show the most recent caches first). I was just curious to see how they list (didn't see anything special, I think some people were just trying it out).

Anyway, I'm sure that searching for them directly is on Jeremy's long to do list...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

And how do you convert an existing cache to a MOC (as apparently happened with GC209A)?

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

Click on edit your cache ... and you will find a check box to make it a subscription cache!

348_1002.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

. Create a file of caches in the state of that I haven't found yet, and include traditional caches and virtual caches only between the ranges of 1 and 4 stars difficulty and 1 to 3 stars terrain. Send me a copy on a weekly basis on Friday.

Add my vote to be able to download enmass caches for an entire state or user selected region that I haven't found yet.

quote:

I'm planning on creating options that you can create, which will allow you to do a filter request.

For example:

. Create a file of caches that contain travel bugs and email it to me on a daily basis.

The site will then a) generate the loc file and :D email it to you when you want it. The window will probably be several hours in case of high traffic.

Jeremy

Would I be able to download the file or would I have to wait for it in email? In other words is the email feature an option that I can get the waypoints automatically on a given day, or is it he only way to get say, all of Ontario in one batch?

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:

For example:

Jeremy

And there needs to be a filter for the caches that I mark as IGNORE or DON'T SHOW on My Cache Page/Nearest Geocache(s).