Down Loading Caches to my Garmin

MayDay1&2

Really quite new to this. I tried to download caches directly to my GPS. When I completed the download, it said it was saved, but its not on my GPS. Where might it have gone. Thanks for any help.

What model Garmin?

How did you download it?

How far is the cache away from where you are?

I am using an older Garmin etrex vista C. I am trying to download by using the SEND TO GPS button next to the cache information. The cache is in the same area of my manually loaded caches. These are 9 to 10 miles from my home. The manually loaded caches show right up. Thanks for any help. I'm somewhat computer challenged.

Really quite new to this. I tried to download caches directly to my GPS. When I completed the download, it said it was saved, but its not on my GPS. Where might it have gone. Thanks for any help.

What model Garmin?

How did you download it?

I am using an older Garmin etrex vista C. I am trying to download by using the SEND TO GPS button next to the cache information. The cache is in the same area of my manually loaded caches. These are 9 to 10 miles from my home. The manually loaded caches show right up. Thanks for any help. I'm somewhat computer challenged.

Don't download the cache info (gpx file) to your computer. On the cache page click on "send to MYGPS". You have to connect your eTrex with the usb cable to your computer ofcourse. A better way: become a premium member, set up a pocket query and download the resulting ZIP file, unzip and load the gpx file containg the caches in your PQ in Mapquest, upload the caches to your Garmin and your are done!

If your PQ contains the maximum caches your Garmin can hold, you have to delete the old caches from your eTrex before you can upload a new PQ.

What model Garmin?

How did you download it?

If you are using a Windows PC and you click on the SEND TO GPS button, another little window entitled "Garmin Communicator" should pop up. It should list your etrex and its serial number. You then click on the SAVE button in that window and the window will display a message that the GPX has been loaded on your machine.

If that's what is happening then I'm afraid I'm a loss as to what the problem is. I do recall that someone has said there is a setting that toggles between Show Found/Show Unfound. Might that be the problem?

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but I have the same problem.

I've read that the Mac "Send to GPS" plugin is broken. Not having a Mac I can't verify this for myself.

Does this mean there is currently no way to get a cache GPX file to a Garmin Dakota via a Mac?

I did a little bit of geocaching a year or two ago, but have been inactive since. At that time I remember it being possible even for basic members to download GPX files one by one directly to the Garmin Dakota using the "Send to GPS" feature. Should this still be the case, or is a premium membership required now?

I have since changed Macs and now use a newer OS (Mac OS X 10.6.8) and have also updated the software for the Dakota to the latest version. Today I thought it would be fun to download a cache file so I installed the Garmin Communicator plug-in into my new computer and then tried to send a file to my GPS (using Firefox) which didn't work. The buttons appeared and was clickable, and there was no error message shown, but the files did not download.

Any hope of getting this to work? Any ideas? (I have not yet tried using my old computer. Should try that of course, but it would be more convenient to use the same one I normally use nowadays.)

Thanks!

Edited by Ann!x

I've read that the Mac "Send to GPS" plugin is broken. Not having a Mac I can't verify this for myself.

Does this mean there is currently no way to get a cache GPX file to a Garmin Dakota via a Mac?

I did a little bit of geocaching a year or two ago, but have been inactive since. At that time I remember it being possible even for basic members to download GPX files one by one directly to the Garmin Dakota using the "Send to GPS" feature. Should this still be the case, or is a premium membership required now?

I have since changed Macs and now use a newer OS (Mac OS X 10.6.8) and have also updated the software for the Dakota to the latest version. Today I thought it would be fun to download a cache file so I installed the Garmin Communicator plug-in into my new computer and then tried to send a file to my GPS (using Firefox) which didn't work. The buttons appeared and was clickable, and there was no error message shown, but the files did not download.

Any hope of getting this to work? Any ideas? (I have not yet tried using my old computer. Should try that of course, but it would be more convenient to use the same one I normally use nowadays.)

Thanks!

Apparently the older version of Send to GPS will work just fine. The last time I tried it with a basic account, the GPX is sent over, but without all the goodies like description, hint and logs.

Check out this thread for how to install the older version of Send to GPS for OS X :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290028

If you're a premium member, you can also run a pocket query and copy the GPX over to the Dakota as well. It makes it easier to clean up old caches from the GPSr.

Edited by Chrysalides

Apparently the older version of Send to GPS will work just fine. The last time I tried it with a basic account, the GPX is sent over, but without all the goodies like description, hint and logs.

Check out this thread for how to install the older version of Send to GPS for OS X :

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290028

If you're a premium member, you can also run a pocket query and copy the GPX over to the Dakota as well. It makes it easier to clean up old caches from the GPSr.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

It worked fine! (I uninstalled the newer plugin first, and then had to agree to run in 32-bit mode but I hope the latter won't cause any problems.)

Maybe I'll upgrade to a premium account later if it turns out I'll keep on caching this time around.