Geocaching.com site update Feb 28th, 2012

OpinioNate

Read the last update's Release Notes

Just a quick update today:

Release Notes

• Implemented Leap Day souvenir to be awarded when cachers log a geocache as found on February 29th, 2012

• Added text to PM comparison page listing Challenge creation as a PM benefit

• Added Cache UP NB to list of API partner applications on /Live

• Added www.dosen-futter.com to list of geocoin manufacturers and resellers on /track/geocoin.aspx

KD0cp.png Geocaching Live API Beta

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues!

6Oy1t.jpgCache Up NB

Cache Up NB is a news and information site dedicated to geocaching in the Canadian province of New Brunswick. It provides a multitude of information about geocaching in the region, calendar of events, video, podcasts, and even live coverage of cachers out in the field. The site leverages the Live API to give users a glimpse at random caches from all over the New Brunswick region.

It would have been better if they had spent their precious resources in fixing the current map fiasco than worrying about a Leap Day souvenir coin -- but that's just MY opinion :blink:

I rather like the new maps, though the lack of scale has been a bit annoying. Also, with the Arial maps: If there's one white block, which will not load, it is the one your are looking at. :P Perhaps they can scout up a different vendor or sort out hosting.

It would have been better if they had spent their precious resources in fixing the current map fiasco than worrying about a Leap Day souvenir coin -- but that's just MY opinion :blink:

I rather like the new maps, though the lack of scale has been a bit annoying. Also, with the Arial maps: If there's one white block, which will not load, it is the one your are looking at. :P Perhaps they can scout up a different vendor or sort out hosting.

In Firefox you can use a GreaseMonkey script to add back the scale. GreaseMonkey: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/ Scale Script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/126456

I agree completely...the new maps are such a step backwards that I am seriously considering dropping my premium membership when it comes up in July. The souvenir icon is small potatoes by comparison, imho.

I agree completely...the new maps are such a step backwards that I am seriously considering dropping my premium membership when it comes up in July. The souvenir icon is small potatoes by comparison, imho.

Yes.. and I certainly hope they already know that.

In Firefox 10.0.2 after the update I notice the drop down menus work intermittently. After I post a find, they don't seem to work. But if I then click my name top right, they work on that page.

Let me know if that is clear enough.

Speaking of souvenirs, I never got mine for 11/11/11 and heard from a few other facebook users that they didn't either.

Speaking of souvenirs, I never got mine for 11/11/11 and heard from a few other facebook users that they didn't either.

That's because there wasn't one. What exactly is the geocaching-related significance of this date that you think there should have been a souvenir? The only reason there was a 10/10/10 one was because it was the 10th anniversary of geocaching.

That's because there wasn't one. What exactly is the geocaching-related significance of this date that you think there should have been a souvenir? The only reason there was a 10/10/10 one was because it was the 10th anniversary of geocaching.

Well, more specifically, it was during the 10th year of Geocaching and of Groundspeak, and it was the date of the last (or one of the last) Groundspeak global geocaching challenges, to break the record of the most accounts going geocaching that day.

Someone mentioned it on Facebook and I looked and didn't have one either. I guess there is no signifigance.:laughing:

Its my understanding that Google wanted $20,000 a week for GC.com to use their maps and thats why GC.com dropped them. The new maps definitely aren't as good as the old ones but for 20 grand a week I don't blame GC.com for dropping them.

Edited by Reno8
Geocaching.com seems to be going down the drain. Nothing works. Nobody responds.
Can you be more specific? Geocaching.com works just fine for me.

Besides the maps loading slow (which we all know about) I've had times where transitions from page to page, which used to be almost instantaneous, now sometimes take between 5-10 seconds to even begin loading. It doesn't matter which selection I make; every choice lags from what it used to be like. If I go from the home page to my profile, my profile to a PQ, a PQ preview to a selection in the PQ, etc.. They all take about 5 seconds to even begin loading. Map selections take even longer to both open and close when I click on the cache. Doesn't matter if I'm on my laptop (wifi) or Mac (directly wired in). Thought it might have been the computer, but all the other pages I go to load quickly with no lag.

The geocache program does not work since the new release yesterday. I really enjoy geocaching and can't do it without app working on my phone, it worked great till I updated it. I can't sign in, just force closes. I bought this app and the membership, it will all be wasted till it is fixed. I have a Motorola Dext android phone.

CC

Edited by cottage crew

The geocache program does not work since the new release yesterday. I really enjoy geocaching and can't do it without app working on my phone, it worked great till I updated it. I can't sign in, just force closes. I bought this app and the membership, it will all be wasted till it is fixed. I have a Motorola Dext android phone.

CC

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Pocket Query maps seem to have stopped being interactive. I don’t get the popup with details and can’t open the cache page when clicking the cache icon on the map. This worked earlier today. Same results on IE, FF, Chrome; XP and Win7

Hmm. I just tried it and got the same thing. It did the same thing briefly a day or two ago, and seems to be happening again. They did apply a hotfix today, so maybe something in there broke it.

CC

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?

Pocket Query maps seem to have stopped being interactive. I don’t get the popup with details and can’t open the cache page when clicking the cache icon on the map. This worked earlier today. Same results on IE, FF, Chrome; XP and Win7

Hmm. I just tried it and got the same thing. It did the same thing briefly a day or two ago, and seems to be happening again. They did apply a hotfix today, so maybe something in there broke it.

cottage crew, please email contact@geocaching.com for personalized technical help. The forums are not the best place for troubleshooting individual account issues but are instead better suited to sitewide/global issues. I have not yet heard of anyone experiencing the issues that you are reporting with the latest Android release.

In Firefox 10.0.2 after the update I notice the drop down menus work intermittently. After I post a find, they don't seem to work. But if I then click my name top right, they work on that page.

Let me know if that is clear enough.

Doesn't work on 3.6.25 either

We also did not get a Souvenir for 11/11/11. Altough we have one found at this day...

It is not that we really need it, but if there is a Souvenir for this day, we would really like to get it...

Franz

Edit: We also use Firefox, actual 10.0.2...

Edited by massafranz