Last edit marks on cache logs.

ryanharris

It might be just me but it bugs me when a cache log has been edited 3 or 4 times and the "last edit" tags take up half the page your looking at. I searched for a similer topic and found one from June 1, 02. It explaing how to delete your own tags. Maybe a request should be made to remove this feature or make it so only the last tag is shown. I vote to remove it. Wy do we need to know when a log was edited?

Just being anal,

Ryan

I agree... it does tend to ugly up a log, even if there is only one of those "edited" things added to it. Often times people don't realize that they can delete the previous edit tags, so they end up with 3 or 4 of them on one log.

I'm not sure why it would matter to many folks, if/when a log was edited. *shrug*

If it is easy to remove, I'd be all for it... but it isn't something so annoying that I'd expect anyone to go out of their way to code around. But yeah, I wouldn't miss those "last edit" tags at all.

geobanana.gif

The NEW Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

I'm not sure why it would matter to many folks, if/when a log was edited. *shrug*

I don't see the point to this, either ... least ways not in the cache logs. icon_frown.gif

I realize there's the (slim?) chance on these forums for anyone who gets themselves into a flame war to worry that some pervious poster will modify his/her comments and therefore change the tone of a thread, etc., so just maybe there's some merit to Edit notations here. icon_rolleyes.gif

But on the cache logs??? Come on!!! Think about it.

Edit messages on cache logs have ablsolutely no practical usefulness when you consider it's so easy for a cacher to delete and subsequently post a new log, or for the cache owner to delete anyone's log completely at will.

The most annoying aspect is after a long day of caching, posting your logs and then discovering the inevitable typos and errors, or wanting to add something else you overlooked, then ending up with that crappy-looking Last Edit notation. In my opinion it only adds needless clutter (much like that other new growing source of "clutter" at the bottom of all cache pages). icon_mad.gif

If this "feature" is so badly needed, at least allow a grace period of an hour or so. This way logs can be corrected or modified by the cacher without triggering the silly notation. As it now stands, if I make errors in my log I simpy delete it and post a new one! This, of course, avoids the Edit notation but also causes additional cache log notification e-mails to be sent out. So, this is better?!?! icon_eek.gif

Cheers ... icon_smile.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on November 17, 2002 at 05:37 AM.]

Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I don't mind the "Last edit" line ... in fact, I will often edit a log so that the "last edit" line functions as a time stamp.QUOTE]

icon_confused.gif Ummm ... wouldn't it be simpler to just type "10:40 AM" or whatever in your log?!

I do know it's a lot harder for me to compose a relatively error-free or complete log on the first attempt, especially when my fingers are typically 5 minutes behind my thoughts. icon_smile.gif

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

icon_confused.gif Ummm ... wouldn't it be simpler to just type "10:40 AM" or whatever in your log?!

Try thinking of it this way, Rich ... "Official (time)Stamp of Approval." icon_wink.gif

On a slightly more serious note ... I used to include the time I found a cache in my logs on those days I did several caches, but I received several negative e-mails about it. I was informed that I was being "braggy and boastful." Sucked the fun right out of it for me.

quote:

I used to include the time I found a cache in my logs on those days I did several caches, but I received several negative e-mails about it. I was informed that I was being "braggy and boastful." Sucked the fun right out of it for me.

*shrug* If it works for you, do it anyway. In fact, I've often thought it might be convenient to have an option for a time-of-find when logging caches. It looks a little awkward when the log of the first finder turns out to be the second or third log on the page because he (or she icon_cool.gif) couldn't get to the website right away. No, it's not a big deal, but that might be a nice enhancement.

Zhanna

quote:

You would think so, and it would make the log more readable and less cluttered.

quote:

I do know it's a lot harder for me to compose a relatively error-free or complete log on the first attempt, especially when my fingers are typically 5 minutes behind my thoughts. icon_smile.gif

Just try powering up with some oatmeal or caramels first. Anyway, I think you do pretty well. icon_wink.gif

Zh.

quote:

... I used to include the time I found a cache in my logs on those days I did several caches, but I received several negative e-mails about it. I was informed that I was being "braggy and boastful."

Howdy, BP! Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't understand the point. What exactly does having an "official" Last Edit notation as a time stamp indicate, other than having a purely personal meaning?

One feature I'd love to see is a place to enter the time of my find on the cache log form, in the same manner that the date is entered. The default could be blank, therefore optional. On many occassions I felt it would be nice to know when other cachers were at the site that day. For example, I've wondered if I had just missed running into someone I know or had wanted to meet. Oh, and I find it interesting to know who are the earlybirds! I don't think it's boastful at all. In a practical sense it's part of the history of the cache. I typically put the time of my visit in the logbook, but usually forget to add it to my Web log. I think having a time slot on the log entry form and a standard display format on all logs would be very useful.

icon_smile.gif Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

[This message was edited by Rich in NEPA on November 18, 2002 at 10:18 AM.]

quote:

Howdy, BP! Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't understand the point. What exactly does having an "official" Last Edit notation as a time stamp indicate, other than having a purely personal meaning?

Nothing, really ... the only thing it does is stamp the official site time on it. It is of dubious value ... but I really like the idea you and Zhanna both suggested:

quote:
Rich:

One feature I'd love to see is a place to enter the time of my find on the cache log form, in the same manner that the date is entered. The default could be blank, therefore optional.

quote:
Zhanna:

I've often thought it might be convenient to have an option for a time-of-find when logging caches.

Obviously, great minds think alike!!

quote:

... but I really like the idea you and Zhanna both suggested:

Yes, and we hadn't even discussed it beforehand... at least not in quite a while.

quote:

Obviously, great minds think alike!!

Most of the time, I prefer to say that great minds think differently, if you know what I mean. But in this case, I'll agree with you. icon_wink.gif And I'll take that as a compliment!

Zh.

My first sentence of each find log is the date and time, even though the system puts the date next to your log.

When I first started it never occured to me to note the time, I was just happy to find a cache. Then we I started reading other people's logs, I saw they were more specific than mine.

This got me thinking that the logs look more professional and in fact if geocaching was a job instead of a game, I'm sure the boss would require this information. So I started including it in my logs and the majority have this information. I've forgotten to note the time on some virtuals because there is no actual log book.

The nice part is when you see another log after yours stating that you beat them to the new cache by x number of minutes. icon_smile.gif

quote:

One feature I'd love to see is a place to enter the time of my find on the cache log form, in the same manner that the date is entered.

No, No, No! Time is the enemy! I don't even wear a watch anymore! Who needs deadlines? Who needs appointments? We need to outlaw time? Get rid of time and then ask your doctor for a prognosis. Take as long as you like. Exams - Time, put your pencil down. Mortgage lender - I'm sorry you have run out of time. What would have happened at OK coral if Noon never came? No. We don't want time. But then, I'm not as young as you.

Zeolites unite!

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

No, No, No! Time is the enemy! I don't even wear a watch anymore! Who needs deadlines?

Sounds cool, what time does your group meet?

icon_biggrin.gif

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy & The Beast:

Zeolites unite!

I had no idea that zeolites were not united.

Zeolites unite is a truism that refers to the catalytic synthesis of gasoline from grain alcohol. A process invented by the Germans in WWII.

Now we know why tequila tastes that way.

Now I need to find a new signature line..

perhaps Anthracites burn!

Oh, more brain work... my head hurts.

Thanks cashew nut for outing me... a closet chemist.

quote:

I used to include the time I found a cache in my logs on those days I did several caches, but I received several negative e-mails about it. I was informed that I was being "braggy and boastful." Sucked the fun right out of it for me.

I sure hope that whomever sent you those negative emails doesn't start reading my logs. I'll get spammed to death! My logs always start out something like this:

quote:
#413 Found this one while...

The reason I put the number of caches I've found is so I can keep track of them. I keep small logbooks with all of my cache log data, but I once lost one of them on the way to a cache, and had a heck of a time reconstructing the info - especially for days when I'd had multiple finds. Nobody has given me any feedback - positive or negative - about the practice.

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I sure hope that whomever sent you those negative emails doesn't start reading my logs. I'll get spammed to death! My logs always start out something like this:

#413 Found this one while...

My "found it" logs all start off with "Find # xxx." Strangely, the people who were offended by the times appearing in my posts had nothing to say about the find number. Perhaps so many people do it that they realized it was for record keeping. Or perhaps they had done enough kvetching for one day, and will get back to me about it eventually. icon_wink.gif