eTrex and Rechargable batteries

ScoutDadNC

So why the different setting for different battery types?

Different types of batteries have different discharge rates. Selecting the proper setting allows for a more accurate battery meter.

So the meter information isnt from measuring voltage, but more by power on time? is that possibly why mine pops a 'low battery' message then 10-20 seconds later turns off? ( I would like for a few minute warning not few seconds)

So why the different setting for different battery types?

Different types of batteries have different discharge rates. Selecting the proper setting allows for a more accurate battery meter.

So the meter information isnt from measuring voltage, but more by power on time? is that possibly why mine pops a 'low battery' message then 10-20 seconds later turns off? ( I would like for a few minute warning not few seconds)

Probably. If you're using NiHM batteries, they have a fairly flat output 'til near the end.

alkaline-vs-nimh.jpg

Personally, I just carry another pair of charged NiMHs in my geo-bag.

My old batteries would fail after about ten charges.

Are you serious? I use a La Crosse BC900 with Maha Powerex 2700mAh batteries. I get over 30 hours battery life in my eTrex 20 with track on. And after several years of service, they still work as good as the day I got them. You can use the "refresh" feature to eliminate the memory if that becomes an issue.

I know there are folks that know far more about batteries and chargers than I do, but I just know mine works and provides outstanding battery life.

What charger do you recommend? SLow? Fast? Brand? My old batteries would fail after about ten charges. Thanks Alan2.

If you are using a "fast" charger, that is your problem. They tend to cook batteries. Something like the bc900 mentioned previously not only will recharge your batteries, but many other helpful features as well like conditioning and cycling.

By far the most popular, and frankly the best, battery out there right now are the Eneloops. They hold their charges for a year (they are low discharge) and take a lot of abuse for a very low investment.

My old batteries would fail after about ten charges.
Are you serious? I use a La Crosse BC900 with Maha Powerex 2700mAh batteries. I get over 30 hours battery life in my eTrex 20 with track on. And after several years of service, they still work as good as the day I got them. You can use the "refresh" feature to eliminate the memory if that becomes an issue. I know there are folks that know far more about batteries and chargers than I do, but I just know mine works and provides outstanding battery life.

I have the same charger with Eneloops and have had the same experience; they have more power (last longer) than regular batteries and after several years of use (50+ recharges at a guess) they are about the same as new.

What charger do you recommend? SLow? Fast? Brand? My old batteries would fail after about ten charges. Thanks Alan2.
If you are using a "fast" charger, that is your problem. They tend to cook batteries. Something like the bc900 mentioned previously not only will recharge your batteries, but many other helpful features as well like conditioning and cycling.By far the most popular, and frankly the best, battery out there right now are the Eneloops. They hold their charges for a year (they are low discharge) and take a lot of abuse for a very low investment.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my charger and batteries. The BC900 is expensive but is highly recommend and will treat your batteries well thereby paying for itself many times over.

Eneloops are by far the best out there right now in my experience. I've not tried all of the others but have used La Crosse Tech and Powerex and both didn't last many charges. Also, Eneloops will hold their charge MUCH longer, something like 80-90% over a year while the others loss it in only weeks.