Scooters

snownomi

Motorcycle, not a scooter but the issues are similar, such as 6noisyhikers pointed out, leaving it at trail heads. The MPGs are great but you need to decide in advance what to take with you, as opposed to having a car trunk with different caching gear just in case. The boots I wear for hiking are not necessarily the safest for riding, and I certainly can't hike in my riding boots. But it is great on a nice day. It is great for urban caching when you can park very close to the cache and not have to wander far from the bike. Great too when you have that one cache you are after a distance away. Ride there, get the cache, and then enjoy the ride back.

Might not be using my bike nearly as much this year for caching. Just got a new car that gets twice the mpg as my old car, which is also almost as much as my bike. Doubt it gets anything close to a scooter though. Your mpg must be well over 60, 75? Enjoy that this season if gas prices stay high (or go higher).

edit: Adding this since it seems to be where the thread is headed (Aussie dry.gif )

Scooter2.jpg

Edited by majormajor42

I had a Big Ruckus Honda Scooter that I used to look for caches. We would trailer it to a Park with our Roadtrek RV and the the wife and I would ride it around looking for caches. I will be 87 in a couple of months and had open heart surgery last year so I gave the Scooter to my Grandson in Jackson, Wy and the van to my Granddaughter. Both are very happy. Now we use either the Land Cruiser or the T5 Scion to geocache. Mostly the Scion as it get twice the MPG over the LC. We did enjoy the scooter when we used it.

Like MajorMajor42, I also commute by motorcycle quite often.

In my case, it is a KLR-650 dual purpose, which is capable of both street driving and woods riding. Before I blew out the sole, my footgear of choice for these jaunts were my snake boots, as they added a bit of protection for both riding and hiking. Now I have to resort to an old pair of Rocky combet boots, till I can scrape up enough $$$ to buy new snake boots. Most everything I might need for caching goes into my CamelBak, so I don't need a trunk. One thing that gets me odd looks is my hiking staff. I wedge it into the rack, and it pokes way out the back. I haven't given much thought to theft at trailheads. I have a pretty stout cable I run through the tires, and of course the handlebars get locked to the side, so thieves wouldn't be able to just roll it away. The bike weighs 350 pounds empty, so I reckon a couple strong people could pick it up and set it in a truck bed.

93162265-21f7-40d3-b276-5ea0d4934ecb.jpg?rnd=0.08458674

Do you mean mobility scooters

or "bike" scooters?

Could even be one of these scooters

razor-scooter.jpg

I just took one of these to four caches yesterday, I kid you not. Unfortunately, she was not my passenger. :blink:

It once belonged to the now 17 yr. old daughter. I'll bet I've found about 30 caches on it the past two years. Yes, I look like an idiot, I'm 6' 195 lbs. But who cares? Not me, apparently.

I just took one of these to four caches yesterday, I kid you not. Unfortunately, she was not my passenger. :blink:

It once belonged to the now 17 yr. old daughter. I'll bet I've found about 30 caches on it the past two years. Yes, I look like an idiot, I'm 6' 195 lbs. But who cares? Not me, apparently.

On a paved trail, like a bike trail, it would be perfect. Rollerblades are cumbersome because you have to bring off trail footwear with you, but a Razor scooter, you can pick it up and fold it and be on the hunt in seconds. I have been thinking about trying my daughter's razor, instead of my bicycle, on a nearby powertrail.

We're both Harley riders.

Started young with a couple of Benelli mini bikes. Never cared for the position/feel of a scooter. Maybe the design changes today would be different. Guess I could rent one and see.

Did have a Motobecane moped in the service that I rode around in more than the TR4. That would be fun to play with while caching.

- Wouldn't dare leave it parked at a biker rally though. :laughing:

We're both Harley riders.

Started young with a couple of Benelli mini bikes. Never cared for the position/feel of a scooter. Maybe the design changes today would be different.

I didn't like the feel of the standard scooter either so I got one of these, which rides more like a bike (complete with pedals). Then the company immediately went out of business <_< Too bad. I've had it for almost three years and it still runs great.

green-world-electric-vehicles-inc-vancouver-bc.jpg

Do you mean mobility scooters

or "bike" scooters?

Could even be one of these scooters

Whatever works :)

I found my first two caches when I was living in San Antonio, where I rode my Genuine Buddy scooter nearly year-round.

42563.jpg

Now I have a big scooter (Suzuki Burgman 400):

2006_suzuki_burgman_400-400-400.jpg

...but I live near Seattle so the scoot gets to sleep a few months in the garage every year. I do take it caching though. I'm actually planning to take it up to the San Juan Islands for some caching this summer. Cheaper on gas AND on the ferry toll!

Now I have a big scooter (Suzuki Burgman 400):

2006_suzuki_burgman_400-400-400.jpg

...but I live near Seattle so the scoot gets to sleep a few months in the garage every year. I do take it caching though. I'm actually planning to take it up to the San Juan Islands for some caching this summer. Cheaper on gas AND on the ferry toll!

Those bigger scooters like the one shown above are extremely common in Rome. They're certain much bigger than my traditional notion of a scooter. In fact, they're bigger that quite a few cars in Rome.

9a29275e-cdc8-478e-bc4b-eef6239f24d6.jpgYup i sure do! Almost very day! Geo-ruck

I've seen something like that around Santa Cruz, CA, a couple times. What look like a mini-bike with off-road tires. Thought it was a Honda, but nothing which comes up in searches looks anything like what I saw. Looked perfect for going down fairly level trails.

9a29275e-cdc8-478e-bc4b-eef6239f24d6.jpgYup i sure do! Almost very day! Geo-ruck

I've seen something like that around Santa Cruz, CA, a couple times. What look like a mini-bike with off-road tires. Thought it was a Honda, but nothing which comes up in searches looks anything like what I saw. Looked perfect for going down fairly level trails.

My father used to have a Honda that meets the "looks like a mini bike with fat tires". It was very rugged, low geared. The tires were very fat and "knobby". I don't recall what size engine it had but I rode it once and it had enough power to get the rear wheel "loose" on dirt. It would be quite good for not so level trails as well. It fact, it looked like it could go almost anywhere (though it was not "street legal").