What do YOU have in your 'caching kit'?

Flo&LouLou

I am new to caching, but a seasoned walker, and I seem to refine what I take out each time, based on what I wish I'd had with me on the last trip.....

Very interested to hear suggestions - serious or otherwise.

LouLou's Walking Wisdom #1: Always Carry a Fiver in Your Hat.

(It used to be a tenner, but times are hard!! :laughing: )

Forceps, needle-nosed tweezers, magnifying glass, multitool, spare logs, spare micros, plasters, paper hankies, KFC wipes, string, sticky tape, compass, magnets, pencil, pencil sharpener, biro, gel pen, felt tip pen, spare batteries for PDA, mirror, torch, money, British Slug Survey membership card, UV torch, waterproof for PDA, red flashing light, whistle. All in my camo caching shoulder bag.

When caching on the bike, all the above plus various things for on-the-track bike repairs.

At night, the above plus head torch, portable lighthouse.

In the car - you wouldn't believe what I carry.

I carry a small flashlight, mini multi-tool, horseshoe nail (better than tweezers!), spare batteries (common to GPS & flashlight), whistle ('cos you never know), a couple of spare log sheets and a small plastic bag. All this fits (just!) in an old spectacle pouch.

I take other gear, dependent on weather conditions, in a lightweight backpack.

So far I've not had to use most of it, but if I need it - I know I've got it covered!!

GPS, with a spare battery if I'm expecting it to be an all-day event or longer.

A pencil for signing logs.

Some money so I can either buy something to eat/drink or if it all goes pear-shaped I can get a taxi home.

I usually cache by bike so I've also got a multi tool and assorted bike-related bits with me.

Finally any travel bugs I've got that I'm expecting to be able to dump.

Spare batteries, notebook, spare pens, swiss army penknife (with tweezers), paper towels (for mopping up blood from cuts and grazes) - came in very handy once when I walked face first into some hanging brambles ... there was blood everywhere. I'm not sure what the muggles would have thought if I continued walking in the state I was in!!. Hand gel for eating sarnies half way round after rummaging in the undergrowth, snacks (cereal bars), torch, OS Map (just in case the GPSr packs up), small amount of cash. I like the whistle and mirror idea so I might have to adopt those too.

Cheers

Mike

The normal essentials; batteries, torches, pens, pencils, wet wipes and napkins, spare logs and a notebook. A couple of spare 35mm film containers. Swag.

Couple of ready caches of different sizes incase I find a good spot.

Maps, bus and ferry timetables. Tide table. Spare t-shirt, swim shoes. Bandana, wooly hat. Snacks

Water

Did I mention pens?!

Spare batteries, notebook, spare pens, swiss army penknife (with tweezers), paper towels (for mopping up blood from cuts and grazes) - came in very handy once when I walked face first into some hanging brambles ... there was blood everywhere. I'm not sure what the muggles would have thought if I continued walking in the state I was in!!. Hand gel for eating sarnies half way round after rummaging in the undergrowth, snacks (cereal bars), torch, OS Map (just in case the GPSr packs up), small amount of cash. I like the whistle and mirror idea so I might have to adopt those too.

Cheers

Mike

The whistle is not only for emergency "Here I am" use. I've also used it as an animal-deterrent. A quick blast on an Acme Thunderer makes cows, etc, take a couple of steps back. The mirror not only lets me look in places I couldn't otherwise look (such as the far side of crinkly fences), it also lets me look in places that I could look but only if I get down on hands and knees, and although for many people getting down on hands and knees is no big deal, I can tell you that with my current dodgy thigh, it's nice not to have to.

drsolly said:

The whistle is not only for emergency "Here I am" use. I've also used it as an animal-deterrent. A quick blast on an Acme Thunderer makes cows, etc, take a couple of steps back. The mirror not only lets me look in places I couldn't otherwise look (such as the far side of crinkly fences), it also lets me look in places that I could look but only if I get down on hands and knees, and although for many people getting down on hands and knees is no big deal, I can tell you that with my current dodgy thigh, it's nice not to have to.

Well, that's really convinced me now. I've had a couple of run ins with our four legged mooing friends in the past and whilst waving my trekking pole about helps, a whistle would be just the job.

Thanks

Mike

The following items are in my bagpack:

• Reserve 35mm cannisters
  • Log books (different sizes)
  • plastic bags
  • rubber bands
  • pencils
  • 2 pens
  • a mini toolbox with tweezers, pincer, nippers, ... even mini screwdrivers
  • camera and different lenses
  • pocket knife (big ;-))
  • binoculars
  • sunglasses

Looks a lot but it's doable. Oh yeah ... and to the side of the backpack I have my walking stick / pricker.

If I'm in the car cache and dashing:

GPS and Bic pen (has handy bit on lid which helps on tricky log extractions).

If leaving the car for a short walk, or don't have the car at all:

GPS, pen, mobile, wallet and car keys, if relevant.

If going for a longer walk:

Rucksack with GPS clipped onto handy D hook thingie, pen(s), spare batteries, sustenance, water, spare clothing, depending on the time of year, sometimes, but not necessarily camera, Compeed, my Magnetic North TB (which lives in the rucksack) and my Leki poles.

In the car, there are more wet wipes, water, some spare log books and tupperware (which I invariably forget to put in the rucksack), spare batteries, spare pens, boots, wellies, head torch (currently without relevant batteries) and even my other trackables (which I then forget to take to the events!).

:ph34r:

well as i am a virgin geo nutt , only done 8 so far, i have ordered some geo cards to leave in the med and larger finds .

250 from vista print £7 .

just learning so i have allready twigged you need plasters wet wipes in van for buttie time towel etc.

carring pen and pencil gps on i phone and my old garmin i used for off roading (landrover days) i few years ago

looking forward to meeting a few local cashers soon ,,,?

cheers paul

so far the walking pole from walmart has been my best investment.. good for spiderwebs, random branches and brush, checking ledges I can't reach.

Second on my list is flushable saline wipes for face and hands to feel fresh on the drive home. And then tweezers.

(IN THE RUCKSACK)

GPS

i-pod

Spare batteries for GPS

Pen

Pencil

OS map (Explorer if I have it, Landranger if I don't)

Heavy duty rigger Gloves

Latex gloves

Afterbite

Anthisan

Antiseptic cream

Bottled water

Camera

Screwdriver

Forehead torch

Maglite torch

Scissors

Tweezers

Mirror

Tissues

Wet wipes

Anti-bacterial hand gel

Paper

Paracetamol

Ibuprofen

Sticking plasters

Spare 35mm film pots

Spare logs

Spare "Congratulations you've found it" notes

Plastic bag

Any trackables I've picked up which need moving on

(In the winter, when I'm going by bus) extra jumper for the bus ride home

Old mobile phone without any sim card in it (for pretending I'm on the phone when I have to loiter)

2-way radio (when I'm caching with a friend)

Spare batteries for the radios

(IN THE CAR)

Walking stick

Spare socks

Long-sleeved anorak

Bottled water

I'm very new so still adding - bear in mind too I'm largely urban caching, and I rely on public transport and foot power to get to caches.

I carry mobile phone (GPS, internet and camera), MP3 player, drink, plasters, umbrella, paper towels for water-logged caches, tweezers, spare logs (varying sizes), swag and any TB/GC's, pencil and pen, antibacterial hand-wipes, note book, a magic wand (in place of a stick for rooting around places), spare nano cache in case I accidently lose someone else's, and I always make sure I have change in case I get too far out and have to get a bus home.