What is with GC site?

DeerChaser & Company

quote:
Originally posted by bebubo:

I just answered the other note on the poll above...I am in the Seattle area and it is dead slow here...today has been the worst day and the past four days have been slow ...

Bob

Yep, I agree with Bob things are getting worse. Probably the server load or something. Positive spin on this is that more and more people are getting into geocaching, but something needs to be done to speed things up.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

Positive spin on this is that more and more people are getting into geocaching, but something needs to be done to speed things up.

And also add into it that the weather is finally getter nicer in many areas. So more people are probably becoming active.

It's been pretty slow for me in the UK since Good Friday. That was the worst day, but it's still slow today.

It could be a heavier load than usual due to Easter - more people out there caching. And as someone else said, the weather's warming up (well, here it was warming up until yesterday!).

Bill

I think the key here is:

With anything that is popular on the Internet - demands are very dynamic, and fluctuate wildly. Doing Internet infrastructure for a living, I'm sympathetic to the Geocaching.com support team. As more people are introduced to caching (I'm a newbie myself, and have already turned SEVERAL others on to the fun), we can expect some pretty "bursty" growth, and resulting congestion, server overload, and general slowness.

The best thing each of us can do: Become a premium member, and if you can afford it, offer additional support: Time, money, constructive feedback. At a minimum - let's be patient, and understanding when things "get slow".

Also, when experiencing slow-downs, or timeouts: Try to consider the type of activity you're performing on the site, and it's potential impact. Everything just looks like a link in the browser - but some tasks are FAR more computationally intensive to the backend databases and applications which access them. Try to "tread lightly" - and avoid the temptation to just keep mashing "reload". ;-)

Just hid my first cache - now time to go out and find a couple...

We're working hard to get a better back-end design for our ever increasing geocaching growth. We've essentially doubled traffic in the last 3-4 months.

In the meantime, if you're trying to do nearest cache searches, log out first since less personalization means faster searches. I've been working on a more efficient search page since it is 99% of the speed problems we're having. Since cache pages are now cached the pages are faster to load but database hungry items cause slowdowns.

Easter is a pretty busy day for Geocaching.com - lots of families going out on cache hunts.

I recommend for the more hard-core folks to rely more on Pocket Queries. I may consider an alternative web site for premium members that will run faster in busy times.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

It has helped a lot. I didn't experience any problems, and did not get frustrated. Thank you for the reboot.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

I saw that according to Netcraft, the www.geocaching.com server is being rebooted about once a week. Are there issues with stability/reliability using Windows? I know that the site's pretty dependant on Windows-proprietary technology (.NET, MapPoint), but has the possibility of switching to a more established and reliable web platform been considered? The various *nix flavors have a proven track record of working exceptionally well in a web server role. The PHP team is also working on .NET support.

Converting where/when I can... [icon_wink.gif]

--

Random fortune:

sigimage.php

As an IT professional, I have to second Cruzin's suggestion. I've cringed at hitting .asp pages, which I know are querying SQL Servers. Based on my experience at a Fortune 500 company doing Internet Infrastructure, I've had to fight a CONSTANT battle against this platform, deployed for Internet-facing applications. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Microsoft-hater: In fact, I'm even an MCSE. It's just that MS has a place (desktop, perhaps file/print and some backoffice stuff like Exchange - but hey, I even argue this point with my colleagues who are responsible for such decisions). It's just not really suited to Internet deployment - and I can tell you why (actually, it's a long list, so maybe I shouldn't start). In a word - just THINK about all the stuff a typical MS operating system has to "do" - from GUI interface right down to every service imaginable. And they're ALL very, VERY tightly coupled (inter-dependent).

At any rate - it's all really a moot point, since I'm sure Jeremy and team are fairly well entrenched in the .NET camp. While I win the battles on technical merit, I virtually never manage to actually convert the masses - who are convinced that the application they just drag-n-dropped together in Visual Studio should be Internet facing. icon_biggrin.gif

So, I'm sure there's no shortage of folks who could offer up services, ranging from infrastructure design, firewalls, web/application/database server expertise - all in support of an environment that would SMOKE on the same hardware in use today (assuming a dedicated server that could be re-installed w/ Linux, Apache, MySQL). We use a lot of Solaris, Java app servers and Oracle at work - but honestly, I'm starting to convince people that the open-source alternatives can provide comparable reliability and performance on lower-cost Intel hardware platforms.

But alas - I'm TOTALLY thrilled with the outstanding job done by Jeremy, and the most excellent functionality of the site as it exists today. I'm not complaining, at all - just supporting the notion that there are solid, FREE, high-performance solutions for all tiers of a web application infrastructure. We'll probably need that .NET support from PHP before be can convince Jeremy, though...

icon_cool.gif

Much thanks to the whole community,

Billy

Can't seem to post any new topics, and others I've talked to are having same problem. I am pretty sure Jamie Z is the one that broke it again! icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Speaking of which database implementation can handle the type of traffic we are going through, do any of the 'experts' have an opinion on HTML/OS? http://www.aestiva.com

First, Yes, I know that nobody has ever heard of it, even though it was first introduced in 1995.

Second, Yes, THEY know that too. They developed this type of web based database to combat the problems experienced with implementing a SQL solution. Most people who have gotten past the "I learned SQL and Cold Fusion, and nobody's gonna make me change" mindset and actually taken this for a spin have not looked back. I am curious to hear some feedback from people here who wouldn't mind comparing it to what they use. The site (above) gives a lot of information, and they have an 800 number to give you a free one hour demo on the phone and online to answer any technical questions that you can come up with. Please go look before you just spout off an answer.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

Day later and still no new topics. It looks like they are getting submitted, if you search the forums you can find the new topics, but you get an error if you try to read them.

What has me rolling on the floor laughing is so few people have even seemed to notice! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess there really ISN'T anything new to talk about?

Markwell, good luck with Hydee, she's a real cutie. Besides, just LOOK at the tongue in that avatar. Need I say more? icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Day later and still no new topics. It looks like they are getting submitted, if you search the forums you can find the new topics, but you get an error if you try to read them.

What has me rolling on the floor laughing is so few people have even seemed to notice! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess there really ISN'T anything new to talk about?

You know, this REALLY sucks. I've actually had to fill my time with productive activities at work instead of just reading the forums.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."