Trouble Loading PQ into GSAK - HELP PLEASE

AtlantaGal

Okay, normally I select one of my pre-made Pocket Queries for download. In this case "Surfside". Once I receive the email, I click on the attachment and export the opened zip file contents (usually just a single .gpx file) to a folder on my HD called GPS. My GSAK is configured to load all .gpx files in this folder. For some reason, I'm getting an error message along the lines of... (see image below)

GSAKerror.jpg

I have no idea why this process all of a sudden wouldn't work. I've been importing PQs this way for years.

Can someone help me?

I found the answer through the GGA forums and the help of another Georgia cacher. Groundspeak changed some beginning code in the GPX files and older programs have issues reading the file as a result. I got a tool through GSAK that takes out that code so the file can be read. I think the issue will be repaired by the mid-March Groundspeak update. So it's only a temporary extra step for those of us who use older versions of GSAK.

Go to http://www.geocaching.com/account/default.aspx

At the bottom of the page is "Your preferences" Click on Change.

At the bottom of the new page is GPX Version Preferences. Choose the version you want (probably 1.0) and click on Save Changes. When I tried this (way back when v 1.01 first came out) I had to log out, then log in, then change the setting about 3 times before it took. That issue should be fixed now, just letting you know just in case.

Now with that preference changed, you no longer need to run any special programs to allow your software to read the .gpx file.

Edit to add: BTW, you don't need to first extract the file from the .zip archive. GSAK will do that automatically (unless you have a really, really old version of GSAK)

Edited by TomToad