Souvenirs with only a time component.

Glenn

It seems that the original concept for souvenirs was tied to a place, sometimes containing an additional time component. Now there are a couple that contain a time component without the place component. For example the 10/10/10 souvenir and the leap year souvenir.

How far should this be taken? There is currently a call for an end of the Mayan calendar (aka end of days) and an 11/11/11 souvenir. There have been calls for Christmas and New Years souvenirs. There was even a call for a retroactive 9/9/9 souvenir. Every day on the calendar is a special day for someone somewhere. Some days even have multiple special designations. This could get really messy. So where would you draw the time in the sand, or calendar, in this case.

Edited by Glenn

I thought the last word was that Souvenir development was on hold so it's kind of a moot point.

But... seeing as how it's a little picture that sits on your profile and really doesn't do any harm (or good) I don't really see how it matters. I do wish that there were more Souvenirs (beyond the individual State Souvenirs) that weren't limited to the geographical area surrounding Seattle, Wa.

I thought the last word was that Souvenir development was on hold so it's kind of a moot point.

But... seeing as how it's a little picture that sits on your profile and really doesn't do any harm (or good) I don't really see how it matters. I do wish that there were more Souvenirs (beyond the individual State Souvenirs) that weren't limited to the geographical area surrounding Seattle, Wa.

I'm not sure what you mean by the development being on hold because Groundspeak is currently publicizing the Leap Day Souvenir. That doesn't sound like it is on hold to me. Assuming that the development is on hold that doesn't mean that it will stay on hold forever. I agree that this topic is relevant to those who find souvenirs interesting.

There are actually three different types of souvenirs.

There are souvenirs based on a specific region. A region may be a Country (though there are not many countries currently represented), or a "State/Province". Currently all U.S. States and Canadian Provinces, as well as all of the "States" (also called Länders or Bundeslands) in Germany. Souvenirs are awarded when one has logged a "Found It" or "Attended Event" withing the geographic bounds of the region. When new regions have been added, it was also awarded to those that retroactively qualified for the souvenir (had a previous find or attended an event).

The second type of souvenir is an "Event" souvenir. These are only for "mega" events such as the annual geowoodstock events and a few other large and regional events. A souvenir is awarded when an "Attended Event" log is posted for one of the mega events for which a souvenir was created.

The third type of souvenir is a "Special" souvenir. These are souvenirs that have been created for a few specific caches/locations such as Groundspeak HQ, the original stash container, Lost and Found Celebration event, logging a find or attended log on 10/10/10 (or the International Geocaching Day), or one of several geocaching related activities (all occurred in the Seattle area). The Leap Day souvenir will almost certainly fall into this category.

Since Groundspeak put Souvenirs on the backburner in February 2011 the only new souvenirs have been the International Geocaching Day souvenir and a few "Event" souvenirs (i.e. the last Geowoodstock Event).

This page has a list of souvenirs as of August 2011

The only date-specific souvenirs at this time are the 10/10/10, International Geocaching Day, and leap day. The rationale behind each is:

10/10/10: This was only done because 2010 was the 10th anniversary of Geocaching. In the case of 9/9/9, or 11/11/11, they don't have any significance beyond the numbers.

IGD: Groundspeak appears to want to make this day an annual event, and chose to commemorate it with a souvenir. Presumably this souvenir will be applied each year to those that don't already have it.

Leap day: Since this rare day only comes around every few years, and with the increasing number of fill-the-calendar challenge caches, this particular day has enough significance in Geocaching to warrant a souvenir.

As far as the other proposals you mentioned, the "end of days" souvenir was purely a joke, and I don't think anyone seriously expects that souvenir to be created. I don't foresee any other date-specific souvenirs unless they are somehow directly related to Geocaching or a Geocaching-related accomplishment.

I'm not sure what you mean by the development being on hold because Groundspeak is currently publicizing the Leap Day Souvenir. That doesn't sound like it is on hold to me. Assuming that the development is on hold that doesn't mean that it will stay on hold forever. I agree that this topic is relevant to those who find souvenirs interesting.

They are publicizing it now... they created it a while ago. I'd have to hunt it down, but there was a thread about making an 11/11/11 Souvenir a little while ago and the lackey that responded said that the Leap Year Souvenir would be out and that it was the last for a bit as development was on hold so that higher priority projects (maps) could be worked on. I may have mangled some of this information, but that's how I remember it.