When to DNF?

Bloodheart

Just wondering - when do YOU log a DNF?

Say you have a cache that's in a tricky place or that you suspect may have gone walkies then a DNF makes sense, but do you ALWAYS post when you DNF - whether it be too dark, too many muggles, or you just couldn't see it (high % when you're a newbie like me). What do YOU personally do?

If I reach ground zero and search for the cache, then I log either a Find or a DNF.

If I don't reach ground zero, or if I reach ground zero but don't search for the cache for some reason, then I might log a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note, as long as there's a story to tell.

If we actually search for the cache and don't find it we log a DNF. If we go back and don't find it we will log another <b>IF</b> it will add something to the cache page, i.e. information other cachers or the CO can use, amusing story, etc. If it's just a matter of "we still didn't find it" we probably won't.

I usually log a DNF when I get to GZ, search pretty well but don't find it. Once in a while I wait to log it if I think I've overlooked something obvious and I plan to come back and look again. I think I log a relatively high number of DNFs but I haven't paid attention to the stats, and there are about 5 of them then I ought to log but haven't.

If I reach ground zero and search for the cache, then I log either a Find or a DNF.

If I don't reach ground zero, or if I reach ground zero but don't search for the cache for some reason, then I might log a DNS (Did Not Search) as a Note, as long as there's a story to tell.

Agreed.

Same here

This is a very good and concise description of when I log a DNF. Others will disagree. They are wrong. :antenna:

Good topic.

Yesterday we were in a hurry for an event and stopped on the way to find a cache right outside the event building. Didn't find it and we were almost late, so we hit it up afterwards and found it. I entered a DNF while waiting in my seat for the event to begin and then changed it to Found after with the whole story in the log. If I had come back another day I wold have entered a second log entry.

Today we went for one after several other successes, but there were potty issues, it started raining hard again, the area was a swamp, and between the whining and the low bloodsugar we got close to GZ but not close enough to effect a search. I'm waffling bc we were close enough that if we wanted poopy pants :0 or other problems we could have made the find. So I think I'll not log this one until we actually Look for it.

It all seems like splitting hairs, but what matters is good friends, good times, a story to tell, and hopefully a find. I prefer to err on the side of logging DNFs, but this is one example where I'm going to let lack of effort and time win.

I entered a DNF while waiting in my seat for the event to begin and then changed it to Found after with the whole story in the log. If I had come back another day I wold have entered a second log entry.

The most important thing is the log, some kind of log. You attempted it, but were prevented for a reason, and someone may benefit from that log.

Some people justify no DNF, and not even a note, as when "there are muggles" that prevent a discrete search. "Too big of a crowd around, they were busy opening of some kind of camouflaged ammo can and raiding its contents. So I can't be bothered to log anything". :ph34r:

On the other hand, I don't do a whole string of meaningless DNFs to clog up the page, since it's not all about me. "Car still won't start, trying plug wires", or whatever.

Edited by kunarion

i only log a DNF after searching multiple times. I dont like to post them unless i think the cache might be missing.

It's such valuable info to me as a finder or hider, I really wish you WOULD log a DNF when you Did Not Find, no excuses. It's a courtesy to the Cache Owner, and to the cachers who arrive after you. But to each his own.

Edited by kunarion

i only log a DNF after searching multiple times. I dont like to post them unless i think the cache might be missing.

It's such valuable info to me as a finder or hider, I really wish you WOULD log a DNF when you Did Not Find, no excuses. It's a courtesy to the Cache Owner, and to the cachers who arrive after you. But to each his own.

i dont understand that. if i log a DNF when ive only missed it and it is in fact where it should be, how is that any use to someone? i would think it would be more of a nuisance to worry if its there or not when someone just didnt see it.

i dont understand that. if i log a DNF when ive only missed it and it is in fact where it should be, how is that any use to someone?
If nothing else, it lets others (both the owner and future seekers) know that others were unable to find it.

Some caches are found by pretty much everyone who searches for them. Others are found by some and not found by others. Others are found by very few of the people who search for them. It can be helpful to know which are which.

To me the value of seeing a DNF as the CO (which, bte I am not, yet) is to know you've done a good job of hiding it. You want people to find it, but you also don't want it to be so obvious that there's no hunt. If everyone just says found it tftc I would wonder if it was too easy.

of course that depends somewhat on the difficulty ratings.

To me the value of seeing a DNF as the CO (which, bte I am not, yet) is to know you've done a good job of hiding it. You want people to find it, but you also don't want it to be so obvious that there's no hunt. If everyone just says found it tftc I would wonder if it was too easy.

of course that depends somewhat on the difficulty ratings.

I want my caches too easy (yet invisible to non-cachers) -- maybe I'll make an evil cache, but not yet. If someone decides to hunt mine and doesn't find it, it may be something I could address. Too many muggles, too much mud or poison ivy, loose or jumpy coords, whatever. Someone expected they'd be able to find it, but did not, and I need to know that.

i dont understand that. if i log a DNF when ive only missed it and it is in fact where it should be, how is that any use to someone? i would think it would be more of a nuisance to worry if its there or not when someone just didnt see it.

A DNF is for when you've looked for a cache but only missed it aka Did Not Find it. If you are sure that the cache itself is missing then you would notify the CO by making a Needs Maintenance log entry.

If the cache is indeed missing and you don't log a DNF it will delay the pattern of DNFs that most cache owners look for before they decide to make a maint visit. If the cache is actually there it may tell that CO that perhaps his difficulty rating is off and needs to be adjusted. If he rated it a 1 and it is taking people several trips, it might be time to adjust it upward. Similarly if searchers see nothing but smileys among the logs they'll assume its an easy find regardless of the rating. They may give up if they can't find it quickly, assuming it is missing. On the other hand if they see DNFs sprinkled among the logs they will know that it isn't a slam dunk easy find and put more effort into the search.

If you log a DNF and then come back a few weeks later and find it, do you post a new log and say you have "found it" or do you edit your DNF log?

Most people enter a new log for the find. That DNF is not only your personal history, but part of the history of the cache.

ok that all makes it alot more clear. i didnt realize that the DNF was meant as a personal history thing. i thought it was meant as a warning sign to the CO. i guess its both. i will be using it much more often now.

Good for you! We've logged a few DNFs on our last outings, all it means is that we didn't find the cache on that day. One is a bit of a devil we've heard, but we'll get it. The DNFs serve as a tool for the caches we want to go back and get - I would never remember otherwise. We've been back to one many times..and logged a DNF on each failed attempt. Got it in the end, a really sneaky hide. But fun!

Well, being new...

At first I wasn't logging either, didn;t know about that. Then I decided until I got my act together, I wouldn't log them. Noob syndrome and all.

Now, (and I only have 7 finds and still a noob) I will log DNF if I actually get to GZ and do any searching but don't find.

If I am prevented from searching due to muggles, light, snow, rain, dropped my cellphone down a culvert, suddenly realize I have to go to the bathroom, then no, not a DNF.

My criteria is if I start a search, I log something, either a find or dnf.

If I don't actually search, even if I reached GZ, no log because I didn't do anything worth logging and making anyone read it.

The exception to the above is if I find something critical or important at/near GZ such as construction, a bulldozer, tree recently fell, building burnt to the ground etc, then, yea, its worth an informational log post.

So, basically, if I find something important, I report it. If I actually start searching, I log something. I don't waste anyone's log time posting unless I have something to report. Ie, I don't want to spam the logs.

Hopefully I am on the right track. Still learning myself.