Rappel to a cache?

T.D.M.22

You are messing about in the throne room of the mountain gods; please be respectful to them, and skip the bold colors.

Bergheil.

What he said. Keep it neutral on the colors out of respect for the hills.

Also, do it. I've rappelled to a few caches now. Enjoyed every one of them, too.

3b3016f1-7854-4f3f-a5ff-1c6ae896f3bc.jpg

There is rappelling cache in So. AZ. It is (I think) GCZ3PD "Handicapper General" I haven't tried it yet, and really probably never will, but it looks like those who have really enjoyed the challenge.

Yeah, I want to go to that cache sometime. Was scheduled to go last year but the forest closed due to extreme fire danger the week of the trip. :mad:

I've found three other caches where ropes were needed.

Edited by Corfman Clan

I want to make a cache that you need to rappel down to. I'm thinking bright colors like neon pink and safety orange on an ammo can, just to tease whoever is looking for it. The only thing is I don't think there are any "extreme" caches around here. Is it a good idea or is it too far?

As a retired climber who has done too many rappels to count, I agree with the urging of others to keep the colors neutral. Minimizing the visual impact of any hardware left behind has been a standard among climbers for about two decades now. Some additional considerations:

1. Rock quality - rappels over "rotten rock" can cause substantial rockfall, endangering both the person on rappel, and anyone who happens to be below them.

2. Availability of solid natural anchors.

3. Potential problems with rope retrieval.

4. Fall lines.

But the 3 most important considerations are safety, safety, and safety! Have fun!

I want to make a cache that you need to rappel down to. I'm thinking bright colors like neon pink and safety orange on an ammo can, just to tease whoever is looking for it. The only thing is I don't think there are any "extreme" caches around here. Is it a good idea or is it too far?

As a retired climber who has done too many rappels to count, I agree with the urging of others to keep the colors neutral. Minimizing the visual impact of any hardware left behind has been a standard among climbers for about two decades now. Some additional considerations:

1. Rock quality - rappels over "rotten rock" can cause substantial rockfall, endangering both the person on rappel, and anyone who happens to be below them.

2. Availability of solid natural anchors.

3. Potential problems with rope retrieval.

4. Fall lines.

But the 3 most important considerations are safety, safety, and safety! Have fun!

You could have at least mentioned safety. Common out there!

My avitar is a picture of myself rappelling to a cave on a 150' cliff to hide GC1D7GO If you look close you can see the ammo can hanging from my harness. I will say that caches of this nature don't get found very often, but when they do the logs are very rewarding and people will go out of their way to take on the challenge.

Mine didn't get it's first find for almost a year and has only racked up 20 finds in 3 1/2 years. But, the experiences and photos shared by finders have been fantastic. One group even did an awesome

My advise is to be very up front about what is required so potential finders will show up prepared. You'll also want to be very clear about reinforcing safety and not encouraging people to take risks that are outside of their capabilities. You are welcome to use the disclaimer from my cache page if you want.

e9b4e33c-7aa9-4172-b089-35b49ce74689.jpg

One should make sure that if the rap is a one way in/out that people know that for sure!

Over the years there have been many instances (especially with poorly trained people) where they sometimes didn't register the fact that rappelling is a one direction trip. Sometimes you have to come out via the rope as well. Not even a hope of climbing via the rock etc. Too many take a quickie instruction on 'how-to' as part of some other course (confidence or something to say you did type) but fail to notice the work and thought involved in anchoring, protecting the rope, and as said the unidirectional aspect.

You would have to consider an exit strategy here, possibly the best would be rap in, keep rappellng to exit the site. There are of course ways to go back up the rope, but not everyone gets that training as well (it's hard work too!).

Another point would be to indicate the drop lengths clearly and from what point if possible. No way that many will have the skills to deal with errors in figuring that out. They should of course, but as I said many courses don't actually tell people that or they don't 'get it'.

It's not a problem of being safe or not safe, that's just the nature of the task required. But it is all about preparation.

Matching equipment and training to the task, and then executing it well. I look at it from the SAR viewpoint, based on much experience going up and down rope, rock and ice. Your local SAR might have a few comments on the project as well if asked.

At least they would know what they might be in for, and have that scenario written. Many of us are also Geocachers, so don't give away your secrets lightly though.

Edit: I see most don't believe in helmets either...

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Is it a good idea or is it too far?

It's too far. Nobody would EVER do a cache that extreme ;)

http://coord.info/GC177JW

cliff_hanger, mind if I ask your reasoning for renewing the same event over and over rather than publishing new events? Not criticizing it or against it, just curious.

1) Photos: Attendees, past and future, like to see the photos. I'm not interested in moving the photos or links to new pages. And if I did, they really wouldn't have anything to do with the 'new' event.

2) We like to see how many people we've cycled through this. Since we've held this event 8 or 9 times thus far, it's easier to see it all in one place.

3) IMO, you 'attend' an event rather than 'find' it. You can only 'find' a cache once. It's not unusual to handle events that way around here. I can cite "Cliffsides and Grapevines" and "Wings and Beer (and Pizza, too)" among others as events that are recycled or, in the case of "Wings and Beer" are never temporarily disabled - just have new dates posted.

4) Much easier for me just to change the date and press the "reactivate" button.

Edited by cliff_hanger