Verizon + Iphone = Possible?

D&L1109

Hi All,

First time on the forums so be easy on me! Been searching the web/forums for hours on this topic and get various answers, so I thought I'd post here and see what the masses say! It has been a while since I've went geocaching...and when I mean a while, I mean years! I'm trying to get my wife more involved in the process and planning time is the greatest killer for us. So when I got a new Iphone4s I figured I could download an app that would cut down on the planning time in order to enjoy the hunt even more! The problem is I have Verizon service. I've heard the Groundspeak app doesn't work on Verizon. All the posts I've read seem to be fairly old (1 - 2 yrs) so I was wondering if there is some app out there that actually will work under Verizon's service? I have a feeling its Verizon and not the apps that is causing the problem, but figured there should be a workaround by now! Or is this a lost cause and should go back to keying in my coordinates on my GPS device one number at a time after spending a few hours planning a trip to a location and jotting down clues and coordinates?

So basically I want to use my Iphone4s on Verizon to geocache and would like more information on this topic. Sorry if I'm blabbing about some dead topic, I just cannot find any updated information or opinions on this.

Thanks in advance for your responses! And happy hunting!

D

The app and the iphone work fantastically for geocaching, on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and any other network that carries the iphone. The only limitations are signal and battery life, generally speaking.

Start with a full battery, keep a charger in the car, charge every chance you get, and cache away. Even if you do lose signal, you can still cache with the iphone if you save cache info for offline use and/or if you are on the hunt, have the navigate to cache screen open, and don't close it again. I ran into that Saturday. Caching in a ravine I lost service. ZERO BARS! Luckily my screen was still up and I was able to go right to the cache without service. The navigation was quite accurate still and the blue dot put me right where I needed to be.