Add SUPER Premium membership option

oaknest

Since Groundspeak proves again and again they are unable or unwilling to provide useful maps with the current pricing structure, I would be willing to pay $100 per year or $20 per month or whatever it takes to get maps that are useful, have quick updates when I move the map or zoom in/out, have scales on the maps, are able to provide useful satellite images, etc.

In other words, provide maps like Groundspeak had two years ago.

I consider my time valuable and I am wasting so many hours trying to plan trips with these lousy maps that I'm willing to open my checkbook wider if given the option.

i am willing to pay more too but heck $100 is too steep even for my willingness lol

I know it sounds like a lot, but when you figure $2 per week, and I waste a least a couple hours per week waiting for the new maps to update plus the time and effort going back and forth between these maps and Google satellite maps trying to figure out how to get to some caches, a dollar an hour of avoided frustration isn't bad...

Gee, why didn't anyone think of that before?

For the record, I'd rather not pay more for maps I hardly ever used.

Well, how nice for you. But since you have three times as many forum posts as found geocaches, you have a different priority for how to use this hobby than I do. I personally enjoy finding caches a lot more than hanging around forums.

Who cares how many forum posts and found caches anyone has, they're just numbers.

Anyway, back on topic...

I do not think it is necessary to have a new level of memberships just because of these so called silly maps, I like them. They have more detail and can be edited by anyone, which I think is great. If you don't like them, get a greasemonkey script, or use another mapping program.

Who cares how many forum posts and found caches anyone has, they're just numbers.

Anyway, back on topic...

I do not think it is necessary to have a new level of memberships just because of these so called silly maps, I like them. They have more detail and can be edited by anyone, which I think is great. If you don't like them, get a greasemonkey script, or use another mapping program.

[edit] Apparently I was too critical in some of my posts on this topic, so after learning of some great mapping tools outside of the Groundspeak web site, I am no longer complaining about the new maps.

Edited by oaknest

Just my opinion... but I wouldn't consider another level of membership based soley on 'better maps'. I dont mind putting in a bit of 'preparation time' prior to caching trips. To me its all part of the game.... working with, and making the best of, what we've got! Making it too easy just aint fun!!

As I said "Just my opinion".

In the very first years of geocaching there weren't even Google maps to talk about. People had to plan longer then we do now. But isn't that what it's all about? Planning and searching untill victory is ours! Untill we can dig up the treasure and leave our mark!

Don't get me wrong. I also love te Google maps but right now I have even learned new things by editing those OpenStreetMaps. I enjoy doing it. For me personaly geocaching is all the things that comes with it. Having fun searching for the stash but also searching to make it more fun. Not just trying to go as fast as possible and try to log for over 40 caches a day.

Edited by RHCV

Just my opinion... but I wouldn't consider another level of membership based soley on 'better maps'. I dont mind putting in a bit of 'preparation time' prior to caching trips. To me its all part of the game.... working with, and making the best of, what we've got! Making it too easy just aint fun!!

The challenge of geocaching SHOULD be figuring out where that tricky cache is hidden, or getting to that 3+ star terrain cache, or finding the 50th cache of the day, or figuring out the solution to that interesting puzzle you've been working on.

The biggest challenge shouldn't be getting the basic functionality of maps to work in the "preparation time".

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm not asking users like you to pay extra for maps. I just want the option available for users with more demanding map needs than you have.

I know numbers aren't important. But I'm REALLY tired of users like you with 20 finds since these new maps were implemented telling me these new maps are just fine. If they're so great, I'd like to see you plan a major geocaching trip with hundreds of cacheson your list, then you can tell me how great they are.

Just looking at a satellite view to see you I can physically get to a cache from the closest road, or looking at a map scale to see if I have to walk 500 feet or 2500 feet are all major challenges. When I do finally get the satellite view to come up and move the map sideways a little, then all I see is a checkerboard.

And I'm tired of hearing of various work-arounds available to get around all the problems with these "silly" maps. I developed a library of shortcuts to get around all the limitations of the Beta Maps, but they've all been sabotaged with these maps so they no longer work. I shouldn't have to get a new library of work-arounds for every new map version that Groundspeak comes up with. Just give me maps that work so I can get on with geocaching.

I have never used the visual tools, like the maps on this site, for my trip planning or cache raid runs. There are far better tools available for that purpose. No work a rounds or other limitations. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate you work flow. The maps on the site are ancillary at best.

The challenge of geocaching SHOULD be figuring out where that tricky cache is hidden, or getting to that 3+ star terrain cache, or finding the 50th cache of the day, or figuring out the solution to that interesting puzzle you've been working on.

The biggest challenge shouldn't be getting the basic functionality of maps to work in the "preparation time".

You first statement is correct. Your second statement does not support the first statement.

Edited by jholly

I have never used the visual tools, like the maps on this site, for my trip planning or cache raid runs. There are far better tools available for that purpose. No work a rounds or other limitations. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate you work flow. The maps on the site are ancillary at best.

Thank you. I've looked around and found some great GSAK macros that I wish I'd found earlier.

Apparently I'd been too reliant on Groundspeak to provide what I'd needed.

Any suggestions on other tools you found useful?

Regardingly of what I said before about those new maps I find it a pitty that an organisation like Groundspeak can't do more for their loyal members. I can't see behind the curtains of the financial side of GC.com, but not being able to provide us with the google maps isn't really an option. If you see with how many payable members we are, and still growing each day, I find it hard to believe that it isn't possible.

However ... I work with Firefox as browser and with Greasemonkey to back me up when it's nessecary, so I have the luxury of having those so wanted Google maps back. It's even possible with te Chrome browser. For almost every problem now on GC.com there's a solution with Greasemonkey. ;-)

Thank you. I've looked around and found some great GSAK macros that I wish I'd found earlier.

Streets and trips, don't leave home without it.

I use GSAK to load my Nuvi 550 and our two 60CSx and then export the data to Streets & Trips which I use to select my route. I then print out the maps with about 5 or 6 caches per page. Helps me keep oriented.

I use GSAK to load my Nuvi 550 and our two 60CSx and then export the data to Streets & Trips which I use to select my route. I then print out the maps with about 5 or 6 caches per page. Helps me keep oriented.

I go a step farther, I put the stop number from S&T into the user sort column in GSAK and then when I export to my Nuvi I have a marco that runs for each waypoint and prepends the number to the cache GC # and name. Makes coorelating between the map and the Nuvi a snap.

I say NO to the SUPER Premium idea. The maps worked fine for me this weekend while caching in the desert. I use the maps all the time while caching and I didn't have any problems. I don't like the new maps but I will adjust to whatever GS throws out there.
I'm confused. I understand not wanting to pay extra for the Google maps. I don't want to pay extra for them myself.

But why object to letting others pay extra for Super Premium membership that includes the Google maps?

Since Groundspeak proves again and again they are unable or unwilling to provide useful maps with the current pricing structure, I would be willing to pay $100 per year or $20 per month or whatever it takes to get maps that are useful, have quick updates when I move the map or zoom in/out, have scales on the maps, are able to provide useful satellite images, etc.

I consider my time valuable and I am wasting so many hours trying to plan trips with these lousy maps that I'm willing to open my checkbook wider if given the option.

I'm sorry, but it's not a big deal for me. I'm rather so fed up with all the postings about the new maps. I just starting using greasemonkey script and move on.

Oh great just what we need here Cell Phone type Pricing.

They start that here and it won't take long to pee off most members.

It won't take long where you will pay $50 to be a member, they you will have to pay $10 a month to see caches within 50 miles of your home, then another $10 a month to see the ones over 50 miles, then there will be a $10 a month charge to actually get the co-ords of those caches to show up. Then a $10 charge to see the co-ords of the caches over 50 miles from home. There will be an addition $10 a month charge for all these features for ever 50 miles from home after that. $10 a month to down load those caches for every 50 miles from home.

Yup that's the ticket cell phone type pricing.

Premium memberships could have add-ons (similar to data and unlimited texting in phones) where a Premium Member could have the option (for, say 5$ extra) to use the Google Maps.

And only people who want to pay the extra to use it, get to use it.

Oh great just what we need here Cell Phone type Pricing.

They start that here and it won't take long to pee off most members.

It won't take long where you will pay $50 to be a member, they you will have to pay $10 a month to see caches within 50 miles of your home, then another $10 a month to see the ones over 50 miles, then there will be a $10 a month charge to actually get the co-ords of those caches to show up. Then a $10 charge to see the co-ords of the caches over 50 miles from home. There will be an addition $10 a month charge for all these features for ever 50 miles from home after that. $10 a month to down load those caches for every 50 miles from home.

Yup that's the ticket cell phone type pricing.

Premium memberships could have add-ons (similar to data and unlimited texting in phones) where a Premium Member could have the option (for, say 5$ extra) to use the Google Maps.

And only people who want to pay the extra to use it, get to use it.

Maybe we shouldn't compare it to that type of pricing..... All I want is to do keep paying the same amount for the same services, and not Google maps. People who want the old maps can pay extra for it, and people who have easily adjusted to the new ones don't have to.

I'm not jazzed about paying more, but I second the motion to ditch the ssssslllllooooowwww Mapquest maps. Google or Bing maps would be a lot better and faster.

Sure Google or Bing would be better, but they would cost a whole lot more. You get to choose faster and really expensive or slower and free.

Sign me up, I'm for it!!

Double the price. I won't even notice. Go from 9 cents/day to 18 cents/day. (At 50 cents/day I would notice.)

Unfortunately no one posting here knows how many premium members gc.com has, so we have no idea how much the price would have to go up to retain Google Maps, or at least Google Satellite View (which seems to be the main issue). We know the total cost, but not how many premium members it would have to be divided across. And of course even GS doesn't know how many of us would pay for direct GSV access.

Yeah, use Firefox instead of Opera, install Greasemonkey, install another script ... no, I don't want a lot of workarounds. I want it to be easier, not harder.

Edward

I say NO to the SUPER Premium idea. The maps worked fine for me this weekend while caching in the desert. I use the maps all the time while caching and I didn't have any problems. I don't like the new maps but I will adjust to whatever GS throws out there.
I'm confused. I understand not wanting to pay extra for the Google maps. I don't want to pay extra for them myself.

But why object to letting others pay extra for Super Premium membership that includes the Google maps?

but... because!.. then that person would be a SUPER Premium Member, and I'd only be a Premium Member! That's not fair to us Premium Members...!

/snark