Newbie/Android Advice Please

RayArt01

Hi,

I am totally new to this site and to Geocaching (I've not found my first one yet). Also new to Android phone. Can you please advise me on choice of app to get started with? There seem to be a few and I wonder which will be best for a complete beginner? Many thanks, Ray

I am also new to Geocaching, but I love using my Android to cache. The best one I have found is c:geo. It is a free app on the market. I have also downloaded GPS Status to get a more accurate GPS point. So far it has taken me right to the cache. You can also log your find right at the location with your phone. It will give you a smiley face immediately so you won't backtrack.

Thanks for all the info. I downloaded c:geo onto my phone but when i tried to use it there were no cache locations showing on the map. did a search on the net and found others saying that the "live map" no longer works. Is that correct or am i doing something wrong? should i try another app? thanks, ray

I have also downloaded GPS Status to get a more accurate GPS point.

GPS Status won't give you a more accurate fix. It just displays what it receives from the GPS, just like any other app (including c:geo) does.

GPS Status actually will help your GPS calibration. Open it, tap the menu button and look at the options.

Also, it will improve your fix by doing the old calibration trick of spinning in a few slow circles. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/13552-how-calibrate-your-gps-google-maps-more-accurate-location.html

I've verified this with my old droid which was showing me that I was almost a mile a way from where I was actually standing. GPS Status download and the steps at the link above got me to single and low double digit accuracy.

Hi,

I am totally new to this site and to Geocaching (I've not found my first one yet). Also new to Android phone. Can you please advise me on choice of app to get started with? There seem to be a few and I wonder which will be best for a complete beginner? Many thanks, Ray

I think the official geocaching app is generally a great app, especially for a beginner. If you stick with this new hobby, it will be worth the cost. till then, sure, go with the free ones.

Just to throw in my 2 cents for future new cachers. I've used c:geo, the official app, and now neongeo. Although c:geo is good, it's a little clunky and not quite as polished. In some cases, it just wouldn't load caches for me.

The official app is decent as well, but it always took fairly long to open and would show an accuracy of about 400ft typically. Finally, neongeo is plain awesome in function, interface, and speed. The ability to manage trackables and pocket queries is amazing, not to mention the ability to see where other cachers are (of course, using the same app). Combine it with Pocket Query Creator and it is a powerful duo.

I've not looked into Cachesense yet, but it looks pretty good as well.