COPY TAGS

EXMAN

when we buy a travel bug we get an 'extra' tag with it.

i've always assumed it was like a PROXY that could be released if the origional went missing.......BUT

i've found that MANY people aren't sure what it's for......

and i'm thinking the reason for this is the 'potentialy misunderstood' wording on it. do they even ALL say the same thing?

i sent a couple of them out as a re-release unaware that they say

"Please Keep Me". seems like a poor choice of words for travelers that often go missing.

any thoughts?

i've always assumed it was like a PROXY that could be released if the origional went missing.......BUT

and i'm thinking the reason for this is the 'potentialy misunderstood' wording on it. do they even ALL say the same thing?

"Please Keep Me". seems like a poor choice of words for travelers that often go missing.

any thoughts?

A re-released TB is not a proxy.

Yes, the copy tag can be confusing. The problem is with the tag not the bug.

Where do you see "Please Keep Me" on any bug?

bd

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

AFAIC the copy tags were never meant to be replacements for re-releasing a lost TB. They were meant to be kept by the owner - as physical souvenir(?) of the actual TB that's out there. Just like the military dog tags, they also always come in pairs.

AFAIC the copy tags were never meant to be replacements for re-releasing a lost TB. They were meant to be kept by the owner - as physical souvenir(?) of the actual TB that's out there. Just like the military dog tags, they also always come in pairs.

you're probably correct there.

but they do make a good re-release tag

much better than keeping it for a souvenir

my reasoning behind starting this thread is.......

we need to inform Travel Bug tag owners that the COPY TAG is perfect for a re-release.

there are way to many idle tracking numbers out there and way to many people that don't know that they can do a re-release.

any thoughts?

The original ones say "Do not keep me!", yet they're gone. Is there any text that could make any difference?

Edited by kunarion

it sure takes the fun out of a cool part of the game.

The part that you think tb can't be re-released? Or that gc.com no longer provides a usable copy tag?

bd

"I" know it can be re-released.

but too many people out there arein the dark.

and gc .com does provide a usable copy tag, but the wording on it keeps people from using it.

the "SAD" part that i was refering to is the fact that all of our travelers disappear.

"Keep me!" on the tag is just about as confusing a matter as anyone could have come up with.

Whose brainchild was that one?

Certainly not very well thought-out.

I think it's very well thought out. Groundspeak would rather like to see you buy a new tag than re-use an old one. The wording achieves exactly that.

"Keep me!" on the tag is just about as confusing a matter as anyone could have come up with.

I think it's very well thought out. Groundspeak would rather like to see you buy a new tag than re-use an old one. The wording achieves exactly that.

+1

And then there's that suspicious wording on each travelers page.

"I'm Collectable"

Which just begs, Please take and Keep Me !

Well.... Isn't that what it means?

BTW, not "on each" page. It is defaulted that way, the owner should change it, if they do not want it "collected".

to dfx: You are right. I was thinking rather one-way (MY way, not the Groundspeak way). :blink:

And then there's that suspicious wording on each travelers page.

"I'm Collectable"

Which just begs, Please take and Keep Me !

Well.... Isn't that what it means?

BTW, not "on each" page. It is defaulted that way, the owner should change it, if they do not want it "collected"

Yes, and keep an eagle-eye on the TB pages for any NEW confusion specially added by GS which invites Trackables to be stolen.

I've already seen posts around here "The Trackable says 'collectible preference not selected', so I was keeping the Trackable just in case I can 'collect' it!" People who can justify keeping an item imprinted "Do not keep me!" can invent many creative ways to swipe your bug. One way as mentioned, is to steal it, then wait to see if you SUGGEST they stole it, so they can then act all offended "well NOW I get to do as I wish with your bug!". Classy!

Edited by kunarion

we need to inform Travel Bug tag owners that the COPY TAG is perfect for a re-release.

there are way to many idle tracking numbers out there and way to many people that don't know that they can do a re-release.

My solution has been to immediately transfer the TB tracking information over to an imprinted dog tag. It's the dog tag that then gets attached to an item, and not the original Travel Bug tag itself.

The imprinted tags normally sell at a discount on multiples, and I can have three made for less than a dollar apiece, giving me one to release and two for re-release later on.

Of course, should all three go missing, I can always have additional dog tags imprinted and re-released ad infinitum using the information on the original Travel Bug tag (which I've kept).

My first example:

9bff5322-499b-48ed-ba55-676f3b50bf0a.jpg

The text I've had imprinted on to the dog tag reads (within the 14 characters-per-line limitation (including spaces), and where ###### is the unique tracking code):

- TRAVEL BUG -

GEOCACHING.COM

-- ###### --

PLEASE KEEP ME

MOVING ALONG!!

--am

My solution has been to immediately transfer the TB tracking information over to an imprinted dog tag. It's the dog tag that then gets attached to an item, and not the original Travel Bug tag itself.

The imprinted tags normally sell at a discount on multiples, and I can have three made for less than a dollar apiece, giving me one to release and two for re-release later on.

Of course, should all three go missing, I can always have additional dog tags imprinted and re-released ad infinitum using the information on the original Travel Bug tag (which I've kept).

My first example:

9bff5322-499b-48ed-ba55-676f3b50bf0a.jpg

The text I've had imprinted on to the dog tag reads (within the 14 characters-per-line limitation (including spaces), and where ###### is the unique tracking code):

- TRAVEL BUG -

GEOCACHING.COM

-- ###### --

PLEASE KEEP ME

MOVING ALONG!!

--am

I'd like more info on the dog tag copies.

I don't know what more I could tell you. There are literally thousands of places online that will do custom imprinting of dog tags for you. Even shopping malls will sometimes have a vendor kiosk that will prepare them for you while you wait.

Google "custom dog tags" for the online resources. Some take PayPal, others credit cards only. The online ordering forms are simple to understand and easy to fill out, and the tags will usually arrive within a week or so after you complete your payment.

Easy-peasy.

I don't know what more I could tell you. There are literally thousands of places online that will do custom imprinting of dog tags for you. Even shopping malls will sometimes have a vendor kiosk that will prepare them for you while you wait.

Google "custom dog tags" for the online resources. Some take PayPal, others credit cards only. The online ordering forms are simple to understand and easy to fill out, and the tags will usually arrive within a week or so after you complete your payment.

Easy-peasy.

But UNDER a BUCK?

But UNDER a BUCK?

Yes, under a dollar apiece if you shop around and if you buy multiples (same text) at the same time (buy bulk, in other words).

Remember, these aren't Travel Bugs. They're cheap-o aluminum dog tag blanks that are then punch-pressed with the text you give them. You take the Travel Bug information-- the tag you pay $5 for-- and then transfer it to the dog tags. You still have to buy a Travel Bug (once). You can't get around that. But if you're going to send its info out into the wild, where it stands a reasonable chance of disappearing forever, and you plan to re-release the same Travel Bug code again once that eventuality comes to pass (like what you were indicating you'd do with the "COPY" Travel Bug tag), then why not plan accordingly?

With the dog tags, I'm forever able to re-release the same Travel Bug info every time it disappears. They're durable, reasonably attractive (complete with color options), approximate the size of a Travel Bug and are relatively inexpensive to create if purchased in multiples. (Even without purchasing multiples, they're far less expensive than buying new Travel Bugs each time you want to re-release a themed traveler.)

Could be but I've spent enough time debating this with the ol' anti-proxy coin crowd. You get them to them to stop believing in magic and we'll pick this up again later.

cachers that enjoy finding and logging Trackables are fine with "proxys".

the only people that are disappointed finding a "proxy" are COIN THIEVES.

and if we add the word (PROXY) to the coins 'name' it should deter THIEVES.

That is not ture!!

it's not true that the word (PROXY) will deter coin thieves?

shurely you don't mind finding a proxy.

you realisticaly can't understand why someone would not want to put their beautiful $12 coin out there to be stolen by some THIEF. THIEVES that search the cache inventory lists daily, looking for a coin that will temporarily fulfill thier craving for someone elses property.

That is not ture!!

you realisticaly can't understand why someone would not want to put their beautiful $12 coin out there to be stolen by some THIEF. THIEVES that search the cache inventory lists daily, looking for a coin that will temporarily fulfill thier craving for someone elses property.

No it's not ture that only thieves are disappointed in finding a "proxy". I will not move a proxy. And in converstaion lots of cachers are disapointed with proxies.

I also don't belive that mass number of missing coins are due to thieves. Of the over 95 Soaring for a cache geocoin that I have release to the wild most have gone missing are because of new cacher or non-cacher, first time out and find it and never log back in.

That is not ture!!

No it's not ture that only thieves are disappointed in finding a "proxy". I will not move a proxy. And in converstaion lots of cachers are disapointed with proxies.

I also don't belive that mass number of missing coins are due to thieves. Of the over 95 Soaring for a cache geocoin that I have release to the wild most have gone missing are because of new cacher or non-cacher, first time out and find it and never log back in.

well.......there's NO doubt in MY mind that there ARE coin thieves out there.

but bottom line, it doesn't matter WHY our coins disappear.

the fact that they DO disappear is something we have to live with, and one way to deal with it is to just KEEP our coins and send out a PROXY.

so if you'd prefer to not move MY proxy, fine with me , but don't DESTROY it just because you don't like proxies.

and explain this.......

why would you not move a proxy, but you'd move a metal tag with a piece of fake dog poop attached to it.

or a stuffed animal or even just the metal tag with nothin attached.

the fact that they DO disappear is something we have to live with, and one way to deal with it is to just KEEP our coins and send out a PROXY.

so if you'd prefer to not move MY proxy, fine with me , but don't DESTROY it just because you don't like proxies.

and explain this.......

why would you not move a proxy, but you'd move a metal tag with a piece of fake dog poop attached to it.

I read and I read and I read again this thread. After doing so, I must ask.... are there some that argue for the sake of arguing? Even at that, actually creating an argument where none existed in the first place.

Because I read this statement: "but don't DESTROY it just because you don't like proxies.", I did all of that extra re-reading to see just where in the world it originated. Strangely enough, it originates in the quoted post itself. Nobody said anything about destroying a proxy. Just why in the world would you decide to interject that somebody said or implied that they would?

I understand your fervor regarding trackables, and I agree with much of what you say -- not all -- but a lot of it.

But, to stomp around and imply that people say things that they didn't is just a bit on the dark side, wouldn't you say?

ADD: I don't believe that any person should feel required or compelled to justify why they would rather move fake doggie poo or the like and not a proxy, be it yours or that of another. It just sounds like you are trying to start another argument.

That is not ture!!

and explain this.......

I have never said that I would DESTROY any proxy - I don't know where you got that. I said I would not move it.

I will move a TB because that what a TB is. A geocoin is a coin not a bit paper.

and explain this.......

I read and I read and I read again this thread. After doing so, I must ask.... are there some that argue for the sake of arguing? Even at that, actually creating an argument where none existed in the first place.

Because I read this statement: "but don't DESTROY it just because you don't like proxies.", I did all of that extra re-reading to see just where in the world it originated. Strangely enough, it originates in the quoted post itself. Nobody said anything about destroying a proxy. Just why in the world would you decide to interject that somebody said or implied that they would?

I understand your fervor regarding trackables, and I agree with much of what you say -- not all -- but a lot of it.

But, to stomp around and imply that people say things that they didn't is just a bit on the dark side, wouldn't you say?

ADD: I don't believe that any person should feel required or compelled to justify why they would rather move fake doggie poo or the like and not a proxy, be it yours or that of another. It just sounds like you are trying to start another argument.

no comment.

don't want to provoke you any further.

That is not ture!!

and explain this.......

I have never said that I would DESTROY any proxy - I don't know where you got that. I said I would not move it.

I will move a TB because that what a TB is. A geocoin is a coin not a bit paper.

you're right,you never did say it, and my bad for writing that in a way that implied that you had.

it was meant to be directed at those that feel so strongly about proxies that they would destroy them out of spite.

any thoughts?

scratch it off before sending the copy off.

any thoughts?

scratch it off before sending the copy off.

of course...........

our argument is that it has no business being there in the first place.

any thoughts?

"Please Keep Me" is *only* on the copy tag.

a regular tb tag has "Do not keep me, I am a travel bug. help me travel from cache to cache"