Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

It would really useful if it was possible to filter out 'my finds' and 'my hides" beyond zoom level 11, perhaps something you may be able to consider for the future.

You can already do that by clicking on "My finds" or "My hides" under "Filter caches" in the left-hand panel

That doesn't work at zoom level 11, or less, which is the point Stompy was making.

On 1/15/2018 at 1:24 PM, -Mark- said:

Is it just me? The small maps on the listing pages won't show any cache icons, if the cache has another waypoint (e.g. cache and parking).

We've noticed this as well. We're also finding that additional waypoints aren't displayed when we view the larger map.

Don't know how important this is, but the symbols on the menu pallet for the "Enable location info", "Goto home location" and "Config options" have disappeared on my browser. The functions still work, there's just no icons there. The other two icons ("Hide icons" and "Route tool") are still present.

I'm using GME v0.8.2 on Chrome 67.0.3396.99

Capture.PNG

Edited by alan666notb
added image
On 01/07/2018 at 11:07 AM, alan666notb said:

the symbols on the menu pallet for the "Enable location info", "Goto home location" and "Config options" have disappeared

+1. I'm using GME 0.8.2 on Firefox - and the same problem was in 0.8.0, I updated earlier today to see if that would fix the issue.

Nigel

On 1. 7. 2018 at 12:07 PM, alan666notb said:

Don't know how important this is, but the symbols on the menu pallet for the "Enable location info", "Goto home location" and "Config options" have disappeared on my browser. The functions still work, there's just no icons there. The other two icons ("Hide icons" and "Route tool") are still present.

Capture.PNG

The icon file  https://www.geocaching.com/map/css/themes/images/icons-18-black.png is missing.

• Upvote 2
On 1. 7. 2018 at 12:07 PM, alan666notb said:

Capture.PNG

Hello, I have same problem. I report this problem here

By the way, for anyone wondering, GME works fine on the 'browse' map, not at all on the new 'search  'map.

Pretty much the only reason I log into GC.com is to use GME, other tools do everything else I need far better as far as cache sorting/selecting/logging etc are concerned.

If it wasn't for the excellent combination of GME and GSAK (and, of course, a trusty GPS) my caching walk planning would be far less efficient and easy, and Groundspeak would not be collecting a premium payment from me for their contribution ....  PQs 

• Helpful 1

December 31st 2019....

It looks like the latest changes made by geocaching.com have affected the map display on all cache listing pages. If the Bing Maps key has been applied to get OS maps then the small map on a cache page listing no longer shows up in OS format.

Selecting the "View Larger Map" does however produce a map in OS format.

The suggestion is that a tweak is needed to the javascrip in this GME Map enhance script maybe?

Any suggestions please?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Arnos99 said:

Blocking the URL cookiebot.com  will solve the problem.

I rather hoped this simple fix would work, but it doesn't for me using Firefox. When I click on the down-arrow next to my name at the top of a listing page, I no longer see GME as a menu option. Greasemonkey says the GME script is enabled for the listings pages, so something is blocking it.

I blocked cookiebot.com first using the Firefox add-on Block Site, then I added a redirect to 127.0.0.1 for it to my Windows Hosts file as well, but neither seem to have had any effect.

Nigel

Well the small map on the cache page is still not showing in OS format despite the recommended change to the cookie (and Yes we are using the same uBlock Origin version).

The small map was useful as it showed how exactly where caches were located....and in OS format rather than Openstreetmap.....

I realise that the larger map IS showing OK in OS format and thus its just a nuisance that this latest change has spoilt what we had before with the smaller map...... maybe someone else knows how to fix it?

13 hours ago, Arnos99 said:

I´m using the add-on uBlock Origin 1.24.2 and put the url from cookiebot.com in "My Filter"

I can confirm this worked for me. Why the other blocking options didn't, I don't know, but adding "cookiebot.com" (without the quotes) in the My Filters tab and clicking on Apply Changes resulted in an immediate fix - didn't even need to restart the browser, just had to refresh the listing page I had open.

Many thanks for the fix.

Nigel

On 1/2/2020 at 3:26 AM, Arnos99 said:

For me its working and GME is shown as a menu option.
I´m using the add-on uBlock Origin 1.24.2 and put the url from cookiebot.com in "My Filter"

Changing the Windows host file is not necessary.

Please to say this worked for me!  I did try another blocking extension first that did not. 

As soon I added "cookiebot.com" in the "My Filters" tab in the uBlock Origin extension, the GME option reappeared in menu under the down arrow.  Just had to paste in the "Bing Key" statement, "Add" and bingo!  the little stack of papers appeared in the rubbish map with OS mapping as an option.

Thanks for spreading the knowledge people....

Ever grateful!

Bernie

Edited by Sue and Bernie
Added a bit!
On 1/5/2020 at 8:50 PM, Sue and Bernie said:

Please to say this worked for me!  I did try another blocking extension first that did not. 

As soon I added "cookiebot.com" in the "My Filters" tab in the uBlock Origin extension, the GME option reappeared in menu under the down arrow.  Just had to paste in the "Bing Key" statement, "Add" and bingo!  the little stack of papers appeared in the rubbish map with OS mapping as an option.

Thanks for spreading the knowledge people....

Every grateful!

Bernie

Yes indeed, working for me in Firefox 66.0.3 - the small map in listing page is back to my favourite one.

Is this still possible? I reset my laptop yesterday as it was so slow and now I don't seem able to get the OS maps back. I have put Chrome back on and installed TamperMonkey and GME. Thunderforest maps etc are there but there is no gear icon and as I am by no means an IT expert I have no idea if there is a way round it.

Edited by longwhatton34

I have relented and installed Firefox, Greasemonkey and GME. Everything works except the location data on gallery images, which is missing where it used to be present. I have no idea how I activated it before, or whether it will work after GS's map updates from last year. The main thing is the return of the OS maps, even if I can't use Chrome.

16 hours ago, longwhatton34 said:

Everything works except the location data on gallery images, which is missing where it used to be present.

This is because the display of EXIF data from photos was never part of the GME add-on. It was provided by the project-GC web browser extension, details of which can be found here: 
https://project-gc.com/Home/UserScript

Since inception, the project-GC add-on has gone through many changes with certain features being removed or diluted over time. Display of co-ords from the EXIF data (where present) is one of the things I've seen evolve significantly. While it was originally found on the main cache page, these days it's now only on the gallery page - and of course only present where a photo originally contained such metadata. While the current list of features given by project-GC themselves, doesn't mention EXIF data specifically, it may be included under the somewhat vague "Add links to Project-GC gallery where suitable":

Features of the script:

• Add to Virtual GPS straight from Geocaching.com.
  • Add challenge checkers to Geocaching.com automatically.
  • Make copy friendly GC-Code and geocache page link.
  • Add link to the PGC Live map from geocache pages.
  • Duplicate latest logs to the top.
  • Add a reverse geocoded address below the coordinates of a geocache.
  • Remove the UTM coordinates.
  • Add favorite point data from Project-GC.
  • Add links to Profile stats after every geocachers name.
  • Tidy up Geocaching.com a bit. Most focus has been on the geocache page.
  • Collapse download links.
  • Add links to Project-GC gallery where suitable.
  • Add links to map bookmark lists.
  • Automatically decrypt hints.
  • Add elevation data after geocache coordinates.
  • Remove disclaimer from geocache pages.

From time to time, some of the features stop working. For example, at the moment, hints are not automatically being decrypted and that's been a problem for a while. I suggest you install the extension, go to a gallery page with  photos that you know include co-ords within the EXIF data and see if they are displayed on screen, on that page. You don't need to be a paying project-GC customer to view it.

• Upvote 1

That would explain it. I always thought it was part of GME as I expected the Project-GC extension to be just a link to the dashboard. I have both installed so that makes sense.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:48 AM, mellers said:

This is because the display of EXIF data from photos was never part of the GME add-on. It was provided by the project-GC web browser extension, details of which can be found here: 

Since inception, the project-GC add-on has gone through many changes with certain features being removed or diluted over time. Display of co-ords from the EXIF data (where present) is one of the things I've seen evolve significantly. While it was originally found on the main cache page, these days it's now only on the gallery page - and of course only present where a photo originally contained such metadata. While the current list of features given by project-GC themselves, doesn't mention EXIF data specifically, it may be included under the somewhat vague "Add links to Project-GC gallery where suitable":

Features of the script:

From time to time, some of the features stop working. For example, at the moment, hints are not automatically being decrypted and that's been a problem for a while. I suggest you install the extension, go to a gallery page with  photos that you know include co-ords within the EXIF data and see if they are displayed on screen, on that page. You don't need to be a paying project-GC customer to view it.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:48 AM, mellers said:

Features of the script:

We had a tampermonkey update but this didn't affect our maps. We did see a change earlier today when loading pages which seemed to affect cookies and coincided with our OS maps disappearing. (An update by Groundspeak?) We reinstalled OS maps successfully using the method suggested on a previous post.

14 hours ago, wendykmj said:

Longwhatton34

What you need to do is just click the blank white box on the left of the width:7.9km    .... this should pop up the boxes where you can add your Bing key again to get the OS maps back.

Good ;uck

Brilliant wendykmj!  That was so simple and the OS maps which had gone AWOL came back straight away.  Yet again I was glad I had saved the Bing key as a word docx so I can just cut and paste without re-typing.  Where there's a will . . . . . .

On 5/31/2020 at 8:12 PM, wendykmj said:

Longwhatton34

What you need to do is just click the blank white box on the left of the width:7.9km    .... this should pop up the boxes where you can add your Bing key again to get the OS maps back.

Good ;uck

I know what to do but as I said above I can't select it. Is there another way to paste the Bing key?

1 hour ago, longwhatton34 said:

I know what to do but as I said above I can't select it. Is there another way to paste the Bing key?

If you click on the down arrow at the top right of your screen, then select Geocaching Map Enhancements, then Manage Maps, you can paste the Bing key into the Map Source.

10 minutes ago, RJx2 said:

If you click on the down arrow at the top right of your screen, then select Geocaching Map Enhancements, then Manage Maps, you can paste the Bing key into the Map Source.

Nothing happens when I left-click on GME from the drop-down but if I right-click and open in a new tab or window the Map Source window appears for about half a second and then disappears again.

5 hours ago, longwhatton34 said:

Nothing happens when I left-click on GME from the drop-down but if I right-click and open in a new tab or window the Map Source window appears for about half a second and then disappears again.

Try opening up a map with GME enabled, the URL will look something like this:

Then change the URL to this (just change everything after the # sign)

This brings up the config box (works on Firefox...), note you have to do this while displaying a GME map, otherwise the config page will flash up and disappear as you found when right clicking the config link earlier.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, MartyBartfast said:

Try opening up a map with GME enabled, the URL will look something like this:

Then change the URL to this (just change everything after the # sign)

This brings up the config box (works on Firefox...), note you have to do this while displaying a GME map, otherwise the config page will flash up and disappear as you found when right clicking the config link earlier.

Thanks, that's fixed it until the next time it goes. I've never had issues with it before so it must be something in the update.

OK, I am old and thick, but I am obviously doing something wrong and illumination would be welcome.

I copy my map key from Bing and paste it into the Mapsource box on the GME drop down but I cannot add it as it says it needs to be a valid JSON (?) expression.

What more do I need to do please?

(As you have guessed since my last post I also have lost OS Maps - using Chrome with Tampermonkey.)

JSON string as follows (replace xxxxx's with your key)

{"alt":"Ordnance Survey","tileUrl":"https://t{s}.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}.png?g=3440&productSet=mmOS&key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "subdomains": "0123", "minZoom":10, "maxZoom": 17, "attribution":"Ordnance Survey imagery from <a href='https://www.bing.com/maps/'>Bing Maps</a>", "name":"osbing"}

1 hour ago, JimJinks said:

JSON string as follows (replace xxxxx's with your key)

{"alt":"Ordnance Survey","tileUrl":"https://t{s}.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}.png?g=3440&productSet=mmOS&key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "subdomains": "0123", "minZoom":10, "maxZoom": 17, "attribution":"Ordnance Survey imagery from <a href='https://www.bing.com/maps/'>Bing Maps</a>", "name":"osbing"}

That is mega awesome JimJinks, Sir,  Very many thanks, DaveD -it worked :):):)

12 hours ago, simplysup said:

Am I right in thinking there's been an update to the cache listings page? The GME options no longer appear on the small map view (still working OK on the main map).

Nigel

I agree, it no longers shows the OS map as default..... once again things h=get changed for no apprent reason....Why??

8 hours ago, wendykmj said:

Have deleted ALL cookies and it still does not work.... why do they make changes WITHOUT full  user testing?

The thing is, Wendy, GME isn't an official part of the geocaching website. It's an add-on which jri kindly created for all of us who love it... and it sits on top of the official site. Like thousands of other geocaching add-ons do.

The 'they' you mention (who make the changes) don't - and won't - test for compatibility with every possible add-on out there, because it's not part of their job to do that (and wouldn't be practical or possible). GME is not part of their company, their business or their web site and is simply something extra we use and have because we find it useful (and brilliant).

• Upvote 1

Mellers, Yes we know that GME is an add on and not part of the main Geocaching software..

But surely GCHQ should "inform" interested parties, who have enhanced the functionality of the mapping such as GME for their customers benefit BEFORE they release new updates?

It only takes a phone call or email these days to let others (such as those that have enhanced the GME) know what has been planned and when it might get released...

It seems that changes are sprung on us... CUSTOMERS!!  ......yes we are paying customers and from reading other changes made in the latest release this is not the only issue people have raised...i.e the Sorting issue.

Having worked in the IT industry for well over 40 years I would not dare release any software without prior testing alongside the CUSTOMER!!

Rant over....

• Helpful 1