Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

I've now released a bugfix update: GME v0.7.3.2. Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey ought to auto-update in due course, but if you are impatient or installed a modified version, you might need to get it directly from https://openuserjs.org/users/JRI/scripts

Hopefully this will fix the current problems, but I've not done much testing, so let me know if there are other issues. This version should remove all trace of Mapquest from GME, and set OSM to be the default map.

The reason the changes to the website broke GME so badly was that Groundspeak now include Google Maps as an option even when you have Leaflet Maps selected in your Map Preferences. As both map engines are loaded at the same time, GME couldn't work out which you were using, and quit because it assumed you had the wrong one. I've now disabled this test, so GME should work fine again when your preference is Leaflet. As before, it won't work when Google is selected as your preferred mapping engine, but as my Premium membership lapsed some while ago, I can no longer test quite how gracefully it fails (or not). If any PM knows enough Javascript to give me a reliable test, let me know!

I've now released a bugfix update: GME v0.7.3.2. Greasemonkey / Tampermonkey ought to auto-update in due course, but if you are impatient or installed a modified version, you might need to get it directly from https://openuserjs.org/users/JRI/scripts

Hopefully this will fix the current problems, but I've not done much testing, so let me know if there are other issues. This version should remove all trace of Mapquest from GME, and set OSM to be the default map.

The reason the changes to the website broke GME so badly was that Groundspeak now include Google Maps as an option even when you have Leaflet Maps selected in your Map Preferences. As both map engines are loaded at the same time, GME couldn't work out which you were using, and quit because it assumed you had the wrong one. I've now disabled this test, so GME should work fine again when your preference is Leaflet. As before, it won't work when Google is selected as your preferred mapping engine, but as my Premium membership lapsed some while ago, I can no longer test quite how gracefully it fails (or not). If any PM knows enough Javascript to give me a reliable test, let me know!

Obviously I had cracked this a while back as Chrome works nicely with the OS Mapping - but I've moved (back) to Firefox and had to "learn" how to do it again, along with recovering my key from the Bing Maps Centre.

Got the key, copied the script, inserted my rediscovered key, copied the revised script into the box to the left of "Add", click the "Add" button and bingo! OS Mapping nicely in FF as well as in Chrome.

Thank you JRI, I used to do machine code back in the days of Zilog Z80 microprocessor in the mighty Sinclair Spectrum (All Hail Rodney Zaks) but now with bus-pass in hand and State Pension imminent, it's all too difficult!

Suddenly I am not seeing the GME Menu on the map page. Also there are two of the 'rop-down' map selection icons at the top right of the map page.

Using latest Version of Firefox.

Happens on all our PCs.

Has there been a recent GC web page change that has broken things?.

I got the same problem, since the last weekend and refreshing the page, doesn't fix it for me :(

Edited by Arnos99

Sort of got the menu back.

Upgraded Firefox to 48.0.2.

Did this: http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme_trouble.htm#resetconfig - Be very careful, that will also loose your Bing Key, so copy it beforehand and copy any other settings you have

I now have the menu back. Of course, could be a co-incident.

However, as soon as I add gccomment I'll loose the menu again. Map Enhancements never worked with 'gc little helper', now also not with gccomment.

Any clever person out there that has a clue where the problem might lie, other than gc fiddling with their maps again?

OK, I've fixed the first part of the problem (no GME icons). For the desperate, a somewhat-working version of the script is available on GitHub at https://github.com/JRInge/userscripts/raw/GME-Development/GeocachingMapEnhancements/Geocaching_Map_Enhancements.user.js

If you do try the GitHub version, it may break the auto-update in Greasemonkey. Be sure to re-install the "official" version when I announce it here.

I still need to fix the extra map selection icon, and I was going to do some work to the cache page maps too. Unfortunately I'm just getting "500 - Server Error" from the website right now, which probably means it's overloaded again. As I can't do any more testing at the moment, I'm going to go out caching instead.

The geocaching maps page keeps locking up my Firefox.

I get a pop up "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding", pressing 'continue' or 'stop script' makes no difference, haven't tried 'Debug script'. It usually appears while scrolling the map. It freezes Firefox completely - the only way out is to fire up the task manager and kill Firefox.

It started happening a few days ago, coinciding with all the other high-jinks with double menus, missing options etc.

I think most of these problems are caused by Groundspeak's server issues. From what I figured out yesterday, the symptoms with GME are caused by GME trying to modify the map page before all the scripts from the geocaching.com servers have loaded and run properly. I can work around the issues to an extent by building more checking into the GME script, but it's hard to test and figure out what needs fixing: if the server is running too well, everything works fine and I can't see a problem. If it's too bad, then I get the 500 error and nothing works!

The same problems are probably also behind the issue where the map page loads, but clicking on a cache icon doesn't do anything. Whenever you move the mouse over a map tile, there is a request to the server to ask whether any caches are in the area, which has to be answered before you can click on the icon. After you've clicked, there's another request to fetch the information about the cache. Overloaded servers can break the website at any of these stages.

I think most of these problems are caused by Groundspeak's server issues. From what I figured out yesterday, the symptoms with GME are caused by GME trying to modify the map page before all the scripts from the geocaching.com servers have loaded and run properly. I can work around the issues to an extent by building more checking into the GME script, but it's hard to test and figure out what needs fixing: if the server is running too well, everything works fine and I can't see a problem. If it's too bad, then I get the 500 error and nothing works!

The same problems are probably also behind the issue where the map page loads, but clicking on a cache icon doesn't do anything. Whenever you move the mouse over a map tile, there is a request to the server to ask whether any caches are in the area, which has to be answered before you can click on the icon. After you've clicked, there's another request to fetch the information about the cache. Overloaded servers can break the website at any of these stages.

Sounds about right to me as I've had very few issues on chrome when GC.com is running smoothly but find the GME menus etc missing when they overload, which sadly is far too frequently.

As for clicking on cache icons, that has always seemed very poor to me and needs lots of zooming in and out to get the icons active. Absolutely nothing to do with GME though, just Geocaching.com's servers and systems.

Hi,

I'm also getting this error, and my friends are too. We all use FF (latest version) and GME (latest version) Get dobble maps, and script error, and then the whole browser freezes and have to be killed and restarted. And I can see it is a dobble map, because it first loads the Google Map, and then the GME map comes over the Google map.

14224876_10157486715225374_9025565011256454790_n.jpg?oh=805f968a37a9e4457c8e237db917f6b0&oe=587CEC0A

And script error:

14225599_10157488506835374_8461589882276279097_n.jpg?oh=b6702f18125d8df552e972b6efe5968d&oe=5848E216

Please help me fix this. Geocaching is uesless without GME.

Edited by Snicker666

OK, I've fixed the first part of the problem (no GME icons). For the desperate, a somewhat-working version of the script is available on GitHub at https://github.com/JRInge/userscripts/raw/GME-Development/GeocachingMapEnhancements/Geocaching_Map_Enhancements.user.js

Use the version mentioned by jri above, that'll do the job until this is fixed in the next release. :antenna:

Edited by SpeedCore

Use the version mentioned by jri above, that'll do the job until this is fixed in the next release. :antenna:

Sorry, the issue is still there after I installed the new script. (Same version nr also?)

It was working fine this morning but now it isn't - I just get a blank screen with no caches. Fixed by disabling the GME script.

Possibly caused by slow website now that the US has woken up to go caching on a Sunday?

Odd. I reinstalled the script using jri's link above and it started working again, even though I'd used that link to install the latest fix only a few days ago.

I had a meeting in London today and used some of the time on the train to finish fixing GME. Strangely, the dodgy 3G internet signal in the Wiltshire countryside gave just what I needed for testing how the script reacted to slow website load times! The result is on Github at https://github.com/JRInge/userscripts/raw/GME-Development/GeocachingMapEnhancements/Geocaching_Map_Enhancements.user.js (same link as before).

It would be great if anyone could be a victim volunteer for testing, and let me know how well it works, as I haven't had a chance to do much testing. In particular, I've not really tried out how the script works on pages other than the main maps page (i.e. trackable maps, cache listings, cache placement, etc.).

If it all seems to be working, in a few days I'll post the update on OpenUserJs.org, which should auto-update people who haven't manually installed the Github version.

I've just done a quick test on the main map, cache, trackable and placement pages and they all seemed to work well.

Thanks for all the hard work on the maps.

Just out of interest, does anyone know of a script (if it's possible) which will toggle all caches on the map off and on - usually the first thing I do when I go to the map is switch off all icons, zoom out, to find a place I want, zoom in on it and then enable all the icons. I regularly use the map for work and planning walks and I often just hide all the icons.

Edited by duncanhoyle

I've just done a quick test on the main map, cache, trackable and placement pages and they all seemed to work well.

Thanks for all the hard work on the maps.

Just out of interest, does anyone know of a script (if it's possible) which will toggle all caches on the map off and on - usually the first thing I do when I go to the map is switch off all icons, zoom out, to find a place I want, zoom in on it and then enable all the icons. I regularly use the map for work and planning walks and I often just hide all the icons.

Glad GME's working for you again.

And yes, GME should already have the feature you want! If you turn on the 'I' tool and click on the map, there should be a link to hide cache icons (and turn then on again).

It may or not be related to the automatic update of the GME script today but when I do a search for caches via the Play button then select Filters and enter something like Church Micro in the selection box I get the required number of caches returned BUT then when I select Map these Geocaches I get a full screen (OS map style) showing ALL caches i.e not just those in the Filter???

I am sure this feature was working yesterday.....

Is it related to the GME script please or is it yet another issue with the Groundspeak staff playing with the maps again??

It may or not be related to the automatic update of the GME script today but when I do a search for caches via the Play button then select Filters and enter something like Church Micro in the selection box I get the required number of caches returned BUT then when I select Map these Geocaches I get a full screen (OS map style) showing ALL caches i.e not just those in the Filter???

Is it related to the GME script please or is it yet another issue with the Groundspeak staff playing with the maps again??

I only got that problem with the GC little helper script, when I deactivate it, everything is fine. GME is working for me.

OK here is what I have just done.

1. On another PC where I had not installed the latest 7.3.3 version of the GME script I tested the Filter process and maps and it all works OK.

2. I then updated that PC with the latest GME script 7.3.3 and tried the Filter process again and sure enough this time the map shows ALL geocaches not just those in the Filter... so there is an issue with the 7.3.3 version of the script.

I have to assume that there is some sort of bug in the latest script?

I am now about to regress the script on the original Laptop back to 7.3.2 to see if that proves it works once again on the old version.

I do not know what else to do other than report the problems I have found today.

I've had a look at this, and it's not related to GME. I switched off Greasemonkey, so I was just using the plain website, with no scripts, then did a filtered search. When I clicked the "Map These Geocaches" button, it worked about 50% of the time, showing just the four caches from my search. The rest of the time, the four caches appeared, then disappeared to be replaced by the normal, unfiltered map.

An intermittent fault like this implies that either its another overloading problem, similar to the issues GME was having, or that some of Groundspeak's servers are configured differently to others, and it's pot luck which you get.

I've had a look at this, and it's not related to GME. I switched off Greasemonkey, so I was just using the plain website, with no scripts, then did a filtered search. When I clicked the "Map These Geocaches" button, it worked about 50% of the time, showing just the four caches from my search. The rest of the time, the four caches appeared, then disappeared to be replaced by the normal, unfiltered map.

An intermittent fault like this implies that either its another overloading problem, similar to the issues GME was having, or that some of Groundspeak's servers are configured differently to others, and it's pot luck which you get.

Thanks, however I must report that using version 7.3.2 of the script everything works fine EVERYTIME but if I upgrade to version 7.3.3 then the map issue I reported occurs EVERYTIME ..... and on several PCs so I dont quite understand the logic you offer?

So for the moment I have to stay with version 7.3.2

Confusing to say the least.

I've noticed for a while now that the link to open Magic Map (using the 'i' button menu option) wasn't showing all relevant layers. It seemed as though SSSI and Forestry Commission weren't shown and they're the 2 main ones which crop up in my area. To fix this I've taken the URL options from the link on the Wiki and changed the GME script locally. I noticed that the original GME URL options were using numerical references for what to display. The Wiki link (which opens the Benchmarking page) uses more easily readable names for each layer.

If you want to try it modify line 2125 of the script to read:

magic = ", <a target='magic' title='Show MAGIC map of environmentally sensitive areas' href='http://magic.defra.gov.uk/MagicMap.aspx?srs=WGS84&startscale=" + (Math.cos(control._map.getCenter().lat * L.LatLng.DEG_TO_RAD) * 684090188 * Math.abs(b.getSouthWest().lng - b.getSouthEast().lng)) / control._map.getSize().x +	"&chosenLayers=lnrPIndex,lnrIndex,nnrPIndex,nnrIndex,nnrscoPIndex,nnrscoIndex,nnrwalPIndex,nnrwalIndex,sssiPIndex,sssiIndex,sssiscoPIndex,sssiscoIndex,sssiwalPIndex,sssiwalIndex,moncPIndex,moncIndex,rspbgbPIndex,rspbgbIndex,fclegbIndex,backdropDIndex,backdropIndex,europeIndex,vmlIndex,25kIndex,50kIndex,250kIndex,miniscaleIndex,vmlBWIndex,25kBWIndex,50kBWIndex,250kBWIndex,miniscaleBWIndex,baseIndex&box=" + b.toBBoxString().replace(/,/g,":") + "'>MAGIC</a>";

It seems as though the MAGIC site is running incredibly slowly. I don't think it's caused by the link I've just posted as the link from the Wiki seems to be slow as well.

NOTE: if you're trying to paste the above change into the script in a standard Firefox based browser you may run into an annoying safety feature which prohibits pasting. To get round the problem edit externally or use the following fix

I've noticed for a while now that the link to open Magic Map (using the 'i' button menu option) wasn't showing all relevant layers. It seemed as though SSSI and Forestry Commission weren't shown and they're the 2 main ones which crop up in my area. To fix this I've taken the URL options from the link on the Wiki and changed the GME script locally. I noticed that the original GME URL options were using numerical references for what to display. The Wiki link (which opens the Benchmarking page) uses more easily readable names for each layer.

Thanks for sharing this. I'll build it in to the next release of the script.