Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Hi,

I love the GME, and it's mostly working for me, but..

As of v0.7.0, display of corrected coordinates in GME should be working without the need for a workaround. If you visit the listing page for a cache that you have correctted the coordinates for, or that has additional waypoints, these should be displayed on the second map on the cache page, just above the logs. You should be able to click either the "View Larger Map" link above that map, or the "Geocaching.com Map" link at the top of the list of online maps, to see those waypoints on the main map. By this, I mean the full-screen map at http://www.geocaching.com/map

I've upgraded to 0.7.0 using Chrome. The corrected coordinates in the larger map still don't work for me. (They used to before the last Groundspeak change some weeks ago).

I'll also explain the drag'n'drop function that worked around showing corrected coordinates. It isn't necessary as a workaround any more, but it's still very useful. At the top of each cache listing, there is an icon showing the cache type, just to the left of the title. When GME is running, this should appear with a box around it, and when you move the mouse over it, the cursor should change to show that you can drag it. This icon can be dragged onto any of the maps that have been enhanced by GME, to display all the waypoints for that cache (including corrected ones). If you have the main map page open in another tab, you can drag the icon there. If you have another cache listing page open, you can drag the icon onto the larger of the two maps on the listing page, so you can see two nearby caches together on one listing page. This should also work on the TB tracking maps, and the planning map that shows free spaces for hiding caches. You should even be able to drag the icon into other programs, e.g. a text editor, to see the waypoint information in .LOC format.

That sounds cool but it doesn't work for me either. I can drop the icon; it creates a file called "download" in my download directory.

At the top of each cache listing, there is an icon showing the cache type, just to the left of the title. When GME is running, this should appear with a box around it, and when you move the mouse over it, the cursor should change to show that you can drag it. This icon can be dragged onto any of the maps that have been enhanced by GME, to display all the waypoints for that cache (including corrected ones).

You should even be able to drag the icon into other programs, e.g. a text editor, to see the waypoint information in .LOC format.

That sounds cool but it doesn't work for me either. I can drop the icon; it creates a file called "download" in my download directory.

To see the waypoints on the map, you need to drop the icon onto the map itself, rather than somewhere random on the web page.

That said, if you rename that "download" file to something with a .LOC extension (e.g. "waypoints.loc"), you ought to be able to import it into mapping / GPS software (or convert it using GPSbabel if your app doesn't understand .LOC files). You can also give it a .TXT extension to get it to open in Notepad if you just want to see what data is inside.

I've upgraded to 0.7.0 using Chrome. The corrected coordinates in the larger map still don't work for me. (They used to before the last Groundspeak change some weeks ago).

Could you let me know the GC-code of the cache(s) you're trying to display? Also, on the cache page, please would you right-click on the "View Larger Map" link and copy and paste the link address too. Probably best to send the info in a personal message via my profile though, as that address could contain the corrected coordinates and give away the cache location!

NB The map page isn't intended to automatically display corrected coordinates for every cache. You have to click through from the cache listing, using the View Larger Map link, or use the drag'n'drop technique discussed previously.

Thank you! That's all much clearer! Unfortunately, I installed the latest version and the script isn't functioning at all. I don't get the map options panel that used to slide out from the left. I just uninstalled and reinstalled, and it's still not appearing. The script is enabled. :(

Erm... dunno. But I've re-written my troubleshooting guide for GME, which might help. Links for documentation are as follows:

At the top of each cache listing, there is an icon showing the cache type, just to the left of the title. When GME is running, this should appear with a box around it, and when you move the mouse over it, the cursor should change to show that you can drag it. This icon can be dragged onto any of the maps that have been enhanced by GME, to display all the waypoints for that cache (including corrected ones).

You should even be able to drag the icon into other programs, e.g. a text editor, to see the waypoint information in .LOC format.

To see the waypoints on the map, you need to drop the icon onto the map itself, rather than somewhere random on the web page.

That said, if you rename that "download" file to something with a .LOC extension (e.g. "waypoints.loc"), you ought to be able to import it into mapping / GPS software (or convert it using GPSbabel if your app doesn't understand .LOC files). You can also give it a .TXT extension to get it to open in Notepad if you just want to see what data is inside.

Thanks for the help. I had 2 versions of GME installed. An old one (109145.js) and the new 0.7.0 version. The old one was still running. Removing it from my Chrome extensions fixed it; I now see the corrected coordinates on the larger map as before. (For the one selected cache).

back to normal, well as long I don't try to use GClh with it

I'm running GClh together with GCComment and GME without problems, but I remember that I had to reorder the sequence of the GM Scripts (Manage user scripts, right-click, Run sooner/later) to:

GClh

GCComment

GME

I'm noticing that "SEARCH" no longer works, I have to turn off GME and refresh the browser to use the GC.com search.

It works for me! Enhanced searching was one of the things that was broken by the recent website update, but should have been fixed in GME v0.7.0. If you have already updated, it could be that you still have an old version installed too. I will shortly update the troubleshooting pages to cover this possibility.

I have noticed that searching by GC-code is still broken - I will fix this in the next update.

If the above doesn't help, you will have to give me some more clues: What are you trying to search for? Which search page are you using (geocaching.com/map or geocaching.com/seek)? Which browser are you using?

I'm noticing that "SEARCH" no longer works, I have to turn off GME and refresh the browser to use the GC.com search.

It works for me!

I can confirm that Search doesn't work if GME is enabled. Typing anything into the search box and clicking on the magnifier icon does nothing at all.

After disabling GME (and refreshing the page) Search works as normal.

I'm running GME v0.7.0.

It works for me!

I can confirm that Search doesn't work if GME is enabled. Typing anything into the search box and clicking on the magnifier icon does nothing at all.

After disabling GME (and refreshing the page) Search works as normal.

I'm running GME v0.7.0.

As I said before, I need more clues! Searching from the map in GME v0.7.0 works fine for me in Firefox, Chrome (with & without Tampermonkey) and Opera Classic, with the exception of searching by GC-code (and I've got a fix for that ready for the next release). If it's not working for you, I need to know what you are searching for (different search terms work in different ways), which browser you are using (they have different restrictions), and whether any error messages appear in the browser console. It's also helpful to know if you are using any other scripts at the same time.

By the way, rather than disabling GME totally, you can just turn off GME's enhanced search function from the "Other" tab in GME's configuration screen.

I need more clues!

No matter what text I enter in the Search field, absolutely nothing happens for me. Here's what I see in the FF Console:

[17:50:25.287] Greasemonkey access violation: unsafeWindow cannot call GM_xmlhttpRequest.
[17:50:25.286] "GME: New JSONP"

It works for me! Enhanced searching was one of the things that was broken by the recent website update, but should have been fixed in GME v0.7.0. If you have already updated, it could be that you still have an old version installed too. I will shortly update the troubleshooting pages to cover this possibility.

I have noticed that searching by GC-code is still broken - I will fix this in the next update.

If the above doesn't help, you will have to give me some more clues: What are you trying to search for? Which search page are you using (geocaching.com/map or geocaching.com/seek)? Which browser are you using?

Thanks, I was on 6.9.2 which was the last version that automatically updated. I tried updating in manually after you replied to my problem by search for updates via Firefox add ons but that failed. I then clicked on the link for usersripts.org on the greasemonkey user scripts page but the site was down and the only way of getting onto it was with this url http://userscripts.org:8080 but 0.6.9.2 was the last update.. I then clicked on the download link above and it took me to a new site with version 7 which I installed and it now works. It looks like userscripts has been down for some time and perhaps you have changed hosting sites. Any way all working now, hopefully the automatic updates will recommence.

Thanks great script and invaluable.

Problem with Chrome! I restarted Chrome this morning and a message came along the lines of "You have installed an extension which did not come from the Chrome Web Store so we've disabled it". Clicking on Extensions shows GME grayed out you are unable to enable it. The message box says "Extensions that have been disabled are grayed out and you won't be able to re-enable them". And they are right - you cannot! I've poked around but cannot see a way to override it. The only option is to delete it, which I did, and re-install by dragging across. Success! However, when I restart Chrome is disables it again so I have to keep re-installing GME!

The Chrome version is 35.0.1916.114 m (the latest).

Any idea how I override this?

Regards

Colin

At the top of each cache listing, there is an icon showing the cache type, just to the left of the title. When GME is running, this should appear with a box around it, and when you move the mouse over it, the cursor should change to show that you can drag it. This icon can be dragged onto any of the maps that have been enhanced by GME, to display all the waypoints for that cache (including corrected ones)

I tried this when it was first published, and it worked. Now I actually want to use it for real, and it doesn't work, I just get a downloaded file.

I'm using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m & GME v0.7.0

I have the cache page with the corrected listings open in one tab (the correction is visible on the small map on that page), and the main GC.com map open in another tab. I grab the icon next to the cache title on the listing page, and drag it onto the tab with the map ... Chrome then switches to that tab, and I ensure I drag the icon onto the map itself. Result is a notification that I've downloaded a file, and a complete absence of any corrected location on the main map. What am I doing wrong ?

NB when I did have it working last week, I ended up with too many things on the main map. Is there any way to selectively remove the ones you don't want other than closing the map down and starting over ?

Thanks for the enhancement BTW, having OS maps overlaid with cache locations is unspeakably brilliant !

I can confirm. In last version 0.7.0 searching for names is working once again. FF 29.0.1

I have one question. It is possible, that GME will be working with offline maps on HDD? How can I adjust configuration string?

I have downloaded maps - png tiles.

Thanks

Thanks, I was on 6.9.2 which was the last version that automatically updated. I tried updating in manually after you replied to my problem by search for updates via Firefox add ons but that failed. I then clicked on the link for usersripts.org on the greasemonkey user scripts page but the site was down and the only way of getting onto it was with this url http://userscripts.org:8080 but 0.6.9.2 was the last update.. I then clicked on the download link above and it took me to a new site with version 7 which I installed and it now works. It looks like userscripts has been down for some time and perhaps you have changed hosting sites. Any way all working now, hopefully the automatic updates will recommence.

Unfortunately it looks like userscripts.org is down long-term, so I am going to be using OpenUserJS.org from now on. Although I can still get onto USO using port 8080, I can't edit the script or the information there any more, so I can't automatically divert users across to new versions of GME. Bizarrely though, the install counter on userscripts.org has started working again, just when everything else has failed!

As far as I know, OpenUserJS should support automatic updates - but we'll have to see what happens when I do the first update! Either way, I will try to keep the documentation at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm up to date with the best information about downloading and installation.

I can confirm. In last version 0.7.0 searching for names is working once again. FF 29.0.1

I have one question. It is possible, that GME will be working with offline maps on HDD? How can I adjust configuration string?

I have downloaded maps - png tiles.

Glad to hear the search function is working for you too. Unfortunately, GME can't easily work with offline maps. This is because of security restrictions built into web browsers to stop websites linking to your local files.

In theory though, if you have got copies of the map tiles stored on your local machine, you should be able to set up a local webserver and point GME at that. I can't really advise on how to configure this, because it depends on how you have stored and named the map tiles, and how your local webserver is configured. However, the information on this page should let you figure out what you need: http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme_config.htm

One thing that GME won't be able to do is access offline maps stored in sqlite files (even via a local webserver). It needs access to the raw files, and hasn't got the logic to find them in a database or archive file.

At the top of each cache listing, there is an icon showing the cache type, just to the left of the title. When GME is running, this should appear with a box around it, and when you move the mouse over it, the cursor should change to show that you can drag it. This icon can be dragged onto any of the maps that have been enhanced by GME, to display all the waypoints for that cache (including corrected ones)

I tried this when it was first published, and it worked. Now I actually want to use it for real, and it doesn't work, I just get a downloaded file.

I'm using Chrome Version 35.0.1916.114 m & GME v0.7.0

This still works in Firefox, but I've verified that I now get the same problem in Chrome v35. I'll add it to the list of things to fix. At least it looks like I can pin it down to one area of code.

NB when I did have it working last week, I ended up with too many things on the main map. Is there any way to selectively remove the ones you don't want other than closing the map down and starting over ?

For things like markers and routes that you've drawn on the map, you can mostly click on them to get an option to remove them again. There isn't a way to do this for objects that you've dragged and dropped onto the map. It's on the to-do list, but not a priority at the moment.

Problem with Chrome! I restarted Chrome this morning and a message came along the lines of "You have installed an extension which did not come from the Chrome Web Store so we've disabled it". Clicking on Extensions shows GME grayed out you are unable to enable it. The message box says "Extensions that have been disabled are grayed out and you won't be able to re-enable them". And they are right - you cannot! I've poked around but cannot see a way to override it. The only option is to delete it, which I did, and re-install by dragging across. Success! However, when I restart Chrome is disables it again so I have to keep re-installing GME!

I'm not sure what's causing this. In the latest Chrome update, Google have started automatically disabling extensions that don't come from the Chrome Store. However, installation by dragging and dropping the script into the chrome://extensions window still works fine for me, and the extension is still there after quitting and restarting.

Potential workarounds could be to enable developer mode in chrome://extensions, or to install Tampermonkey from the Chrome store and to use that to install GME. Let me know if you have any luck!

I'm not sure what's causing this. In the latest Chrome update, Google have started automatically disabling extensions that don't come from the Chrome Store. However, installation by dragging and dropping the script into the chrome://extensions window still works fine for me, and the extension is still there after quitting and restarting.

Potential workarounds could be to enable developer mode in chrome://extensions, or to install Tampermonkey from the Chrome store and to use that to install GME. Let me know if you have any luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried enabling Developer mode (as I'd read somewhere that this stopped the disabling) but it is still disabling them. I currently install GME by dragging onto the Extentions page; I'll try the Tapermonkey later and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried enabling Developer mode (as I'd read somewhere that this stopped the disabling) but it is still disabling them. I currently install GME by dragging onto the Extentions page; I'll try the Tapermonkey later and see if it makes any difference.

Loading via Tapermonkey has cured the problem - :)

I've been having a problem trying to view PQs on a map when GME is enabled. Sometimes it works OK and other times it seems to pause for a fraction of a second after I've clicked on the 'map this location' button, then displays all the caches without any filtering. It works fine when I turn off GME, but it would be nice to be able to see the caches on the OS map. I'm using Chrome and GME 7.0. Has anyone else had this problem?

I can confirm. In last version 0.7.0 searching for names is working once again

So I seem to be the only one for whom Search isn't working even with 0.7.0

If Configure, Other, Enhance Search is on, clicking on the Search icon or pressing Enter with any Search string specified does nothing, except the following message in the Console:

[19:57:25.096] Greasemonkey access violation: unsafeWindow cannot call GM_xmlhttpRequest.
[19:57:25.095] "GME: New JSONP"

Any ideas what might be wrong?

It's not working for me either. I looked up a new cache this evening and had it centered on my screen. I used the search feature in GME to search for it by name. The reply was "Sorry, no results found for Wizard's Hat". I'm using Firefox 29.0.1 and the latest update to GME.

If Configure, Other, Enhance Search is on, clicking on the Search icon or pressing Enter with any Search string specified does nothing, except the following message in the Console:

[19:57:25.096] Greasemonkey access violation: unsafeWindow cannot call GM_xmlhttpRequest.

Erm. Not really.

The "New JSONP" message tells me that you have successfully installed the new version, and that your browser (Firefox?) claims to support the GM_xmlhttpRequest function. Greasemonkey (and similar extensions for other browsers) provide this function to allow userscripts to request data from other servers. Normally, the Same Origin Policy means that scripts on web pages can only request data from the servers that they came from. GME used to use JSONP to get search results, photos and height information from elsewhere than Geocaching.com. When Geocaching.com started using HTTPS connections for the map, it was no longer possible to fetch JSONP data from non-HTTPS servers, and I switched GME to using GM_xmlhttpRequest, if available.

The "access violation" message tells me that for you, GM_xmlhttpRequest isn't working. For security reasons, only userscripts are allowed to use this function, not ordinary javascript running on a web page. GME is a userscript, so should be able to use the function fine, but it does also insert some scripts into the web page which run with lower security privileges. They would generate that error message if they tried to use it, but the script is designed so that this shouldn't be a problem.

However, I haven't been able to replicate the error using GME on any of my browsers, and I don't understand why you're getting different results to everyone else.

One possibility is that you have other scripting or security add-ons installed that affect how GME runs. Another is that you are using different software versions which behave differently. You haven't answered my question as to which browser and userscript manager you are using. Knowing that would help start to identify the problem. It would also help if you checked that you have the latest updates.

It's not working for me either. I looked up a new cache this evening and had it centered on my screen. I used the search feature in GME to search for it by name. The reply was "Sorry, no results found for Wizard's Hat". I'm using Firefox 29.0.1 and the latest update to GME.

Sorry, that is actually working. It's just that the search box on the map page looks for locations, not cache names.

The message you saw means that the script successfully performed a search, but couldn't find a place called "Wizard's Hat" in either the Geonames database, or whatever location service Geocaching.com uses (I think they swap between several).

What the GME enhanced search on the map page is supposed to do is this:

• Checks the Geonames database for the place you searched for, and gives you a list of possibilities (normally you don't get options). The search is prioritised by the country you are looking at on the map, so if you are browsing US caches and search for York, the first hit is in Lower Manhattan. If you do the same in the UK, you get the original city of York top of the list.
  • Lets you search by GC-code (broken in v0.7.0, but will be fixed in the next release).
  • Lets you jump directly to lat / lon coordinates entered in various formats.
  • Lets you jump directly to British Ordnance Survey grid references.
  • Lets you zoom in and out by typing something like "z 10" to go to a particular zoom level, rather than having to keep clicking the zoom button.
  • Lets you plot a precise point on the map, by typing a "p" then the coordinates (e.g. "p N51 23.123, W2 35.678").

If you want to search for a cache using a keyword in the title, you need to use the Seek a Cache page. This normally gives you the option of a "Name starts with..." search. GME adds in a custom Google keyword search, plus geographic searches centred on freeform coordinates, OS grid references, or the location reported by your browser's Geolocation function.

You haven't answered my question as to which browser and userscript manager you are using. Knowing that would help start to identify the problem. It would also help if you checked that you have the latest updates.

Sorry I didn't notice until now. I'm using

• Firefox 24.5.0 ESR; can't upgrade, as I must stay on ESR channel
  • Greasemonkey 1.15; seems to be latest version
  • GME 0.7.0; seems to be latest version

I've set up a new FF Profile with Greasemonkey as the only enabled extension, and GME its only user script, but am getting the same Search behaviour as mentioned.

Any debugging I could do? Do you know of any other Greasemonkey user script that uses "GM_xmlhttpRequest" so maybe I could test, whether it works in a different context?

Sorry I didn't notice until now. I'm using

• Firefox 24.5.0 ESR; can't upgrade, as I must stay on ESR channel
  • Greasemonkey 1.15; seems to be latest version
  • GME 0.7.0; seems to be latest version

I've set up a new FF Profile with Greasemonkey as the only enabled extension, and GME its only user script, but am getting the same Search behaviour as mentioned.

Any debugging I could do? Do you know of any other Greasemonkey user script that uses "GM_xmlhttpRequest" so maybe I could test, whether it works in a different context?

I tried installing FF24 ESR and started getting similar behaviour to you, albeit without the access violation messages. The Search function stopped working, as did Panoramio photos and spot heights, which also use GM_xmlhttpRequest. I guess something has changed in the internals of Firefox. However, I've now been able to come up with a fix that seems to work. I will put this into the next release (hopefully this weekend).

If you can't wait, you could try editing the script. The GM_xmlhttpRequest() function call has to be wrapped in a setTimeout() function as below:

365: 	setTimeout(function() { GM_xmlhttpRequest({
. . .
379:	}); }, 0);

try editing the script. The GM_xmlhttpRequest() function call has to be wrapped in a setTimeout() function

Thanks, this patch makes Search work again for me (except for GC-Code searches, of course).

I believe the docs say, Enhanced Search will search for locations within the current country (only). I'm seeing GeoNames search results for US while viewing an Austria map, though.

try editing the script. The GM_xmlhttpRequest() function call has to be wrapped in a setTimeout() function

Thanks, this patch makes Search work again for me (except for GC-Code searches, of course).

I believe the docs say, Enhanced Search will search for locations within the current country (only). I'm seeing GeoNames search results for US while viewing an Austria map, though.

I'm glad the patch works. The GeoNames search biases towards the country you are looking at, but if there aren't many local places in the database with a similar name, you will still get hits from other countries. The search also prioritizes by size of settlement.Often you get hits from the US because America was settled by immigrants from all over Europe, and they tended to be unoriginal in choosing place names!

If the place you are interested in isn't in the Geonames database, you can always add it in!

Powered up my laptop this afternoon only to find that the F*sc*sts at Google have removed GME from my extensions. I have told them in no uncertain terms what I feel about their monopolistic policies and am now searching for a web browser that will accept GME and then some new less intrusive ISP for my emails. They now what they can do with their Google +

Can anyone point me in the direction of a less megalomaniacal web browser provider. I am running Windows Vista home whilst my laptop totters on.Thanks in anticipation of some good news.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a less megalomaniacal web browser provider. I am running Windows Vista home whilst my laptop totters on.Thanks in anticipation of some good news.

Opera 12 - it's easier to install the script as well, although there is a wee little settings tweak you'll need to make. Vista should cope with it - given it's a bit old now.

It does need to be the 12 version though.

As soon as I moved away from the geocaching site the GME was removed by Google Chrome, but I checked and even without GME I can still get OS Maps and the blue line for amended co-ords. So my limited needs seem to be catered for. Panic over, but I am still not happy with Google Chrome's high handed attitude. They blithely dump all sorts of things I don't want, Google + and endless requests for a mobile phone number ( not everyone has one)and friends' email addresses, but then dictate what you can add to help enhance your browsing.

Opera 12 - it's easier to install the script as well, although there is a wee little settings tweak you'll need to make. Vista should cope with it - given it's a bit old now.

It does need to be the 12 version though.

Many thanks, I will certainly look into it. :)

Has anyone any info on when a "authorised" version of GME might be available? I really miss it "just being there". I have found away round it for now which isn't too bad. I have a shortcut for the Chrome Extensions tab on the bookmak bar and a copy of GME on the desktop. I just delete the installed version of GME, drag and drop the new one and off I go.

The search for place names has stopped working again? Firefox user. Bloody frustrating this is.

Sadly I must concur. Firefox 30, Greasemonkey 1.15 and GME 0.7.0

Can't even blame it on Groundspeak this time: the behaviour of one of Geonames' web services has changed that GME was using for the search function. I'll have a fix out shortly... In the meantime, use GME's configuration screen to disable Enhanced Search, and you should be able to use the standard functions as normal.

The search for place names has stopped working again? Firefox user. Bloody frustrating this is.

Sadly I must concur. Firefox 30, Greasemonkey 1.15 and GME 0.7.0

Can't even blame it on Groundspeak this time: the behaviour of one of Geonames' web services has changed that GME was using for the search function. I'll have a fix out shortly... In the meantime, use GME's configuration screen to disable Enhanced Search, and you should be able to use the standard functions as normal.

Done and place name searching is working again. Thanks.

I've released another bugfix update for GME:

v0.7.0.1

• FIX: Search by GC-code fixed (but only works in browsers that support GM_xmlhttpRequest)
  • FIX: Enhanced placename search (works in more browsers, adapted to change in Geonames webservice)
  • IMPROVED: Click-through from cache pages to display waypoints and corrected coordinates on the map page now works with more waypoints.

The main outstanding issue is now that different pages get different GME configurations, depending on whether or not they are served over http or https. Unfortunately, I haven't got the time to fix this at the moment (new baby due yesterday!) but there's a chance it may fix itself if Groundspeak change more of the site to https.

You can download the new version at https://openuserjs.o...ap_Enhancements

Documentation is at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

GME is compatible with Chrome as a native extension, but because it isn't in the Chrome store, you may have difficulty installing it due to Google's monopolistic security policy. If you have problems using GME with Chrome, I recommend installing Tampermonkey from the Chrome store, then using that to install GME (instructions). At some point I might try converting GME to work in the store, but it's not high on my priority list at the moment.