Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

I've just updated GME to version 0.6.7.

As normal, you can download it, get instructions, etc. at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

This update should fix the following:

• GME should now work on cache listing pages again without any manual hacking of the code!
  • When exporting a GPX route, it should now be easier to right-click on the link and chose "Save link as..." (workaround for Firefox not opening the link properly).
  • Map source management improved behind the scenes.

Most of the changes to how maps are managed just affect the way GME stores its data. However, they do mean that you can now configure map sources from any page on the website (the Geocaching Map Enhancements config screen is on the bottom of the Profile menu). It also means that the list of maps available on cache pages is now the same as on the full map.

Geocaching maps were showing as normal yesterday but when i looked this morning I got icons on a white background. I tried to install the latest version (I use Chrome and Tampermonkey)but it made no difference. When I click on the layers icon at the top right of the map it says "Undefined". Please help!

I'm on the road at the moment so can't test this out properly myself. However, you can try the following: navigate to the geocaching.com then in the same window, open the Chrome console (Ctrl-Shift-J) and type this in the console pane:

localStorage.GME_parameters_bak = localStorage.GME_parameters
localStorage.GME_custom_bak = localStorage.GME_custom
delete localStorage.GME_parameters
delete localStorage.GME_custom

That should reset your current GME configuration (keeping a backup), after which the new version should work when once you reload the page.

To help me stop this kind of thing again, it would help if you could give me a bit more detail so I can track down why you had a problem. Do you mean you can see GME's icons, or the geocache icons, but no map underneath? Also, how does the "undefined" message appear? Is it an alert message, or does it come up where the list of maps would normally be?

If the fix above works, it would also be helpful if you could go back to the Chrome console and email me the output of the following commands through my profile:

localStorage.GME_parameters_bak
localStorage.GME_custom_bak

That should give me a copy of the dodgy configuration that was causing the problem. If resetting the configuration doesn't help, I'll have to have a play with the script once I get back to a computer with Chrome and Tampermonkey installed...

Thank you!! Yes it did work. i'll email you the output if i can get it.

Geocaching maps were showing as normal yesterday but when i looked this morning I got icons on a white background. I tried to install the latest version (I use Chrome and Tampermonkey)but it made no difference. When I click on the layers icon at the top right of the map it says "Undefined". Please help!

I'm on the road at the moment so can't test this out properly myself. However, you can try the following: navigate to the geocaching.com then in the same window, open the Chrome console (Ctrl-Shift-J) and type this in the console pane:

That should reset your current GME configuration (keeping a backup), after which the new version should work when once you reload the page.

To help me stop this kind of thing again, it would help if you could give me a bit more detail so I can track down why you had a problem. Do you mean you can see GME's icons, or the geocache icons, but no map underneath? Also, how does the "undefined" message appear? Is it an alert message, or does it come up where the list of maps would normally be?

If the fix above works, it would also be helpful if you could go back to the Chrome console and email me the output of the following commands through my profile:

That should give me a copy of the dodgy configuration that was causing the problem. If resetting the configuration doesn't help, I'll have to have a play with the script once I get back to a computer with Chrome and Tampermonkey installed...

For caches with additional waypoints, GME will show those waypoints for this listing also on the large gc.com map, if you click the "View larger map" link. This works as expected.

But if you drag-and-drop a listing icon (in the upper left corner) to an already opened large gc.com map (e. g. because you want to show additional waypoints for more than one listing), the waypoints show up fine, but a second header coordinate icon will appear stacked with a slight vertical displacement.

I believe the displacement comes from a difference in the interpretation of the exact icon position. While gc.com seems to interpret the icon's center as its position, GME seems to interpret the icon's bottom middle as its position on the map.

I've uploaded v0.5.1 of my Geocaching Map Enhancements script to Userscripts.org

The aim of this little script is to add a little enjoyment to your Geocaching website experience B)

• Adds lots of map types (Google, Bing, Ordnance Survey, Amapy, even street maps of London)
  • Adds a home button to get back to your own coordinates
  • Lets you refresh your browser session when all your finds stop showing up
  • Lets you see an old-fashioned list of caches around the area in the map
  • Adds a scale indicator that shows the width displayed on the map

The main advantage of this version over last week's is that it's now user-configurable (look for the cog icon). You can select which of the maps you want to show up in the pick-list, and change a few other settings. The script also integrates a lot better into the website's user interface.

This script should work with both Firefox and Chrome - probably Opera too although I've not tested it. There are installation instructions at the link above.

Any suggestions for more map types or other improvements welcome!

Brilliant! dose this show archived caches then?

Doesn't work for me. Uninstalled and installed GME several times but still "undefined" on all GC maps in Chrome. :-(

Doesn't work for me. Uninstalled and installed GME several times but still "undefined" on all GC maps in Chrome. :-(

Now suddenly it's working!? :-)

The fix worked well but it's all gone again, back to undefined again. HAs it changed or is there a proper permanent fix? Got to redo my overlays and map choices again.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to replicate this problem, and so far, no-one has given me enough detail to be able to figure out what is going on. I'm not sure what might be causing people to see the problem magically get fixed and then broken again. Also, I haven't got a good idea of how the "undefined" problem presents itself. Does it appear in place of the map tiles, or as a pop-up error message, or in place of the map selector widget? What version(s) of GME and your web browser are you using? Was the problem preceeded by getting a message telling you the script was updated? If you're still having problems, let me know - the more detail the better (email via my profile if you don't want to spam this thread).

I have put an updated version of the script (v0.6.7.1) up on userscripts.org that has slightly better handling for configuration errors. That might improve things a bit, but I'm really just guessing at the moment.

For caches with additional waypoints, GME will show those waypoints for this listing also on the large gc.com map, if you click the "View larger map" link. This works as expected.

But if you drag-and-drop a listing icon (in the upper left corner) to an already opened large gc.com map (e. g. because you want to show additional waypoints for more than one listing), the waypoints show up fine, but a second header coordinate icon will appear stacked with a slight vertical displacement.

I believe the displacement comes from a difference in the interpretation of the exact icon position. While gc.com seems to interpret the icon's center as its position, GME seems to interpret the icon's bottom middle as its position on the map.

This is intended behaviour. Unfortunately, Geocaching.com is inconsistent in how it draws geocache icons. On the big map, they are centred on their coordinates. On the small map, they are shown as markers, with a small 'V' at the bottom of the icon pointing to their precise position. I've written GME to be consistent with how the website normally displays points on the small maps. This saves me having to code separate behaviour depending on which type of map you drop the point onto. I also find that having visual difference is helpful on the big map, so that if you drop points in a crowded area of the map, you can distinguish the new points from the ones that were already there. It is also handy when you drop the coordinates for a previously found cache, as it helps you spot the smiley face on the map, which would otherwise get covered by the cache icon.

The fix worked well but it's all gone again, back to undefined again. HAs it changed or is there a proper permanent fix? Got to redo my overlays and map choices again.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to replicate this problem, and so far, no-one has given me enough detail to be able to figure out what is going on. I'm not sure what might be causing people to see the problem magically get fixed and then broken again. Also, I haven't got a good idea of how the "undefined" problem presents itself. Does it appear in place of the map tiles, or as a pop-up error message, or in place of the map selector widget? What version(s) of GME and your web browser are you using? Was the problem preceeded by getting a message telling you the script was updated? If you're still having problems, let me know - the more detail the better (email via my profile if you don't want to spam this thread).

I have put an updated version of the script (v0.6.7.1) up on userscripts.org that has slightly better handling for configuration errors. That might improve things a bit, but I'm really just guessing at the moment.

Ok, best I can say is that I opened a cache page and the "view larger map" area was plain grey with a couple of cache icons on it. Opening the "larger map" gave a plain grey map with a few cache icons. The top right button to select maps said "undefined".

I applied the fix you suggested, adding 4 lines of text into the Chrome console pane and the maps came back. I just had to add the extra overlays and mapsources I use and change the settings (imperial/metric etc). A couple of days later it was back to the plain grey map, undefined map selecter & no roads just cache icons. Applied the fix and again got the maps back. Had to change settings and add in the extra maps and overlays again. Currently working as it should.

No pop-ups, no message about updated scripts. I'm using Chrome & GME version 6.7

Sorry to keep clogging up the forums with updates, but there's another new version of the GME script.

Thanks to popular demand, in v0.5.2 I've added in a ruler-style scale, and figured out how to make it configurable to work in imperial measures (isn't that actually a downgrade? ;) ) The default map is also now configurable.

I did throw in terrain maps, but there's no option for hybrid maps - these are actually an overlay, rather than a map type in themselves, so would take rather more thought to implement. That said, if I figure out how to do it, it would bring the possibility of being able to display other overlay information, like traffic or weather data.

I've also updated the Firefox Mobile version to work with the beta release for Firefox mobile 11. The Firefox add-on seems to run fine both on my Asus Eee Transformer (Android 3.2, see screenshot below), and my HTC Desire (Android 2.2). That said, using it on the phone involves a lot of scrolling and rotating the screen to get the Geocaching Maps website to fit - bigger screens are definitely recommended! Unfortunately, last night's Groundspeak update didn't bring the promised fix to the bug that stops cache details popping up on mobile platforms. When that gets sorted, the mobile add-on will be even more useful, but for now it gives you the workaround of being able to pop up the text-based listing of caches for the area you are looking at on the map.

large.png?1330515610

Next on my to-do list is to see if I can make the script work on Opera. That won't happen for a few weeks yet, as I'm off on holiday. That and my wife says I should spend less time in front of the computer...

Thanks Very f***ing Useful :)

Edited by aluaserus

Spoke too soon, it's all back to undefined and a grey page again. See screen shot:

undefined_error.jpg

Mine has just done this, all was working fine this afternoon but as I was using it just now the maps went blank as per your screen shot? Also noticed a problem with the Garmin Communicator which has stopped working? Tried updating it but no luck - could it be linked?

Using Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 m

From my experience, these grey map screens seem to be the result of a failure of the browser to obtain information from the web servers providing the map data. It's always been a transient issue for me; either refreshing the pages concerned, or shutting down the browser for a while and starting again, seems to work OK. I don't think there's any connection to the GME extension.

I still have the Grey Map?

The image below shows the console during the problem with GME script turned on. With the mouse over the Maps tool at the top right we get the 'Undefined' pop out as you can see.

Hope it helps to explain what might be going on.

GMEIssue.jpg

Happy New Year!

I posted an update to Geocaching Map Enhancements last night, which is hopefully a step closer to fixing the "undefined" maps bug. Thanks to everyone who has posted screenshots or emailed me other clues. I've not figured out why the problem is happening, but at least I've worked out what is going wrong, and updated the script to work around the problem.

It seems that for some people, GME's preference settings (including the list of maps to show) had got corrupted in some way, causing the "Undefined" map in the selector widget and the blank grey canvas. Unfortunately, Leaflet Maps doesn't seem to be especially robust in its error handling, and trying to display the Undefined map threw an error that stopped the rest of the GME script loading.

GME v0.6.7.2 now does better checking for invalid map sources, and if it can't find any, falls back to using the selection provided by Geocaching.com, as per GAZ's screenshot. From this point, you ought to be able to use GME's configuration screen (click cog icon at the bottom-left of the map) to reset to Default settings, which should restore the normal selection of maps.

You can get the new version of GME from http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm#install or http://userscripts.o...pts/show/109145

Unfortunately I've not had this problem for real myself, and I've only been able to try recreate it with some fairly complicated fiddling around. Hopefully the current fix should solve the problem, but without knowing what caused the corruption, I don't know if it will recur. Some people have said that the problem has come and gone without any obvious prompt, and one person reported that removing some malware from their machine cured similar symptoms. If the new version of the script doesn't fix it for you, or only works temporarily, please send me an email through my profile, and let me me know what's happening. Things that could be relevant are the type of web browser you use (AFAIK everyone who has had problems was using Chrome + Tampermonkey), what other extensions you use, whether you've deleted your cookies recently (GME uses browser storage ("localStorage"), not cookies, but it's data might get wiped too when you clear cookies), and if you have a cookie-blocker or any other privacy/security software that might try to stop websites storing preferences in your browser.

Edited by jri

I started using your great tool to plan my (usually small) tours.

It works great, but it removes the filter-button of the CGVote-script (http://gcvote.com/index_en.php) from the map and I usually use this very much to get a first overview of the really good caches in an area.

I've included some tweaks in GME v0.6.7.2 to help my script play nicely with GCVote. It looks OK, but I haven't tested all GCVote's features, so let me know if there's still a problem.

Well, now I've got a different set of maps to the normal ones (Thunderforest, Esri & Stamen), no OS, satellite, google maps etc. Seems a bit like when GClh used to over the maps. On the settings there are hundreds of map boxes, all ticked, the map default box is about 3 pixels wide and shows no info.

GME1.jpg

GME2.jpg

GME3.jpg

Well, now I've got a different set of maps to the normal ones (Thunderforest, Esri & Stamen), no OS, satellite, google maps etc. Seems a bit like when GClh used to over the maps. On the settings there are hundreds of map boxes, all ticked, the map default box is about 3 pixels wide and shows no info.

GME1.jpg

GME2.jpg

GME3.jpg

This Is the same problem I'm getting looks the same on the map boxs to but its all the time so I have had to turn Tampermonkey off for now is there a Fix yet???

Well, now I've got a different set of maps to the normal ones (Thunderforest, Esri & Stamen), no OS, satellite, google maps etc. Seems a bit like when GClh used to over the maps.

Something like this is "normal". It's not what we want from GME, but it's what you would get if you didn't have any scripts installed:

Capture94.JPG

GME1.jpgGME2.jpg

OK, those ones aren't normal! And I haven't been able to make the script do that yet either.

To help me out fixing this properly, please could anyone who sees screens like these do the following, and send me the results (do this before trying to fix the problem, or you'll destroy the evidence!):

1. Check you are using GME v0.6.7.2 (the version number is in the title of the configuration screen).
  2. Open the Chrome console (Ctrl-Shift-J).
  3. Check you are on the Console tab of the pop-up panel.
  4. Type "localStorage.GME_parameters" (without the quotes) and press enter. This should return a long string of code representing GME's stored settings. Please copy'n'paste that into an email to me.
  5. Type "localStorage.GME_custom" (without the quotes) and press enter. This should return "undefined". If it doesn't, please copy and paste the output into the email to.
  6. If you happen to see any suspicious looking error messages or GME debug messages (lines starting "GME: ") in the console window, please let me know.
  7. If you are running any other extensions or userscripts for Geocaching.com, please let me know what they are. These might either be installed as native Chrome extensions (listed at chrome://extensions or under Tools/Extensions on the Chrome menu), or installed via Tampermonkey (click the Tampermonkey icon and tell me the names with numbers against them).

If you're seeing these odd screens and you're not using Chrome + Tampermonkey, please let me know too!

That done, once you can see the GME configuration window, you should be able to get back to normal by using the "Defaults" button (the one between "Cancel" and "Save" - not the default map selector). If it doesn't, then please repeat steps 4 & 6 above so I can try to figure out what happened.

NB other than the one about hitting the Defaults button, none of the instructions above are intended to fix the problem - just to give me debugging information so I can try to stop it happening again!

I did what asked but still having the same problem these are the things you asked for..Sorry for putting it here could not find your email address. Also put the start of the tab as there was some text before i put the question first don't know if this helps to.

Tampermonkey started VM4251:106

GME: Found stored params

GME: Inserting script: Generic config

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

localStorage.GME_parameters

"{"version":"0.6.7.2","brightness":1,"filterFinds":false,"follow":false,"labels":"codes","measure":"metric","osgbSearch":true,"useNewTab":true,"defaultMap":"","maps":"[{\"alt\": \"MapQuest\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://otile{s}.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/osm/{z}/{x}/{y}.jpg\", \"name\": \"mpqosm\", \"subdomains\": \"1234\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"CloudMade\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://{s}.tile.cloudmade.com/31913eba82dc43a998d52a5804668c11/997/256/{z}/{x}/{y}.png\", \"name\": \"cloudmade\", \"subdomains\": \"ab\", \"ignore\": true}, {\"tileUrl\": \"http://otile{s}.mqcdn.com/tiles/1.0.0/sat/{z}/{x}/{y}.jpg\", \"name\": \"mpqa\", \"alt\": \"MapQuest Aerial\", \"subdomains\": \"1234\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"OpenStreetMap\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://{s}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png\", \"name\": \"osm\", \"subdomains\": \"abc\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"OpenCycleMap\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://tile.opencyclemap.org/cycle/{z}/{x}/{y}.png\", \"name\": \"ocm\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Bing Maps\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://ecn.t{s}.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}?g=864&mkt=en-gb&lbl=l1&stl=h&shading=hill&n=z\", \"subdomains\": \"0123\", \"minZoom\": 1, \"maxZoom\": 20, \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a>'>http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a> map data copyright Microsoft and its suppliers\", \"name\": \"bingmap\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Bing Aerial View\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://ecn.t{s}.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/a{q}?g=737&n=z\", \"subdomains\": \"0123\", \"minZoom\": 1, \"maxZoom\": 20, \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a>'>http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a> map data copyright Microsoft and its suppliers\", \"name\": \"bingaerial\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Google Maps\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://mt.google.com/vt?&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}\", \"name\": \"googlemaps\", \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://maps.google.com/'>Google</a> Maps\", \"subdomains\": \"1234\", \"tileSize\": 256, \"maxZoom\": 22, \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Google Satellite\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://mt.google.com/vt?lyrs=s&x={x}&y={y}&z={z}\", \"name\": \"googlemapssat\", \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://maps.google.com/'>Google</a> Maps Satellite\", \"subdomains\": \"1234\", \"tileSize\": 256, \"maxZoom\": 22, \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Ordnance Survey\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://ecn.t{s}.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}?g=737&productSet=mmOS\", \"subdomains\": \"0123\", \"minZoom\": 10, \"maxZoom\": 17, \"attribution\": \"Ordnance Survey imagery from <a href='http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing Maps</a>\", \"name\": \"bingos\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"London Street Maps\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://ecn.t{s}.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}?g=864&productSet=mmCB\", \"subdomains\": \"0123\", \"minZoom\": 14, \"maxZoom\": 17, \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a>'>http://maps.bing.com/'>Bing</a> map data copyright Microsoft and its suppliers\", \"name\": \"binglondon\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Amapy turistická\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://maps11.i0.cz/mps/ch_turis/{z}/{x}/{x}_{y}.gif\", \"name\": \"amapy\", \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://amapy.centrum.cz/'>Amapy</a> turistická\", \"tileSize\": 256, \"minZoom\": 13, \"maxZoom\": 16, \"ignore\": true}, {\"alt\": \"Hillshading\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://toolserver.org/~cmarqu/hill/{z}/{x}/{y}.png\", \"attribution\": \"Hillshading by <a\\thref='http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Colin_Marquardt/Hike_%26_Bike_Map'>Colin Marquardt</a> from NASA SRTM data\", \"overlay\": true, \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"OS 1st Edition\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://{s}.ooc.openstreetmap.org/os1/{z}/{x}/{y}.jpg\", \"minZoom\": 6, \"maxZoom\": 17, \"attribution\": \"Ordnance Survey maps from <a href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a>, <a href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/'>CC-BY-NC</a>\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"OS 7th Series\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://{s}.ooc.openstreetmap.org/os7/{z}/{x}/{y}.jpg\", \"minZoom\": 3, \"maxZoom\": 14, \"attribution\": \"Ordnance Survey maps from <a href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a>, <a href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/'>CC-BY-NC</a>\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"SSSIs\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://gis.nbn.org.uk/arcgis/rest/services/siteBoundary/siteBoundaries/MapServer/export\", \"transparent\": true, \"layers\": \"show:6,33,34,35\", \"imageSR\": 3857, \"bboxSR\": 3857, \"f\": \"image\", \"size\": \"256,256\", \"overlay\": true, \"maxZoom\": 25, \"attribution\": \"SSSI boundaries from the <a href='http://data.nbn.org.uk/imt/'>NBN</a>\", \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"Woodland Trust\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/_layouts/MapTilesHandler.ashx?tile=r{q}.png\", \"overlay\": true, \"attribution\": \"<a href='http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/our-woods/map/'>Woodland Trust</a>\", \"maxZoom\": 23, \"ignore\": false}, {\"alt\": \"OS NPE\", \"tileUrl\": \"http://{s}.ooc.openstreetmap.org/npe/{z}/{x}/{y}.png\", \"minZoom\": 6, \"maxZoom\": 15, \"attribution\": \"Ordnance Survey maps from <a href='http://www.openstreetmap.org/'>OpenStreetMap</a>, <a href='http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/'>CC-BY-NC</a>\", \"ignore\": false}]"}"

localStorage.GME_custom

undefined

This is the only script I'm using and no other error messages have come up. the GME is v0.6.7.2

Good news. Thanks to the info in CavebadgerMan's post, I've uploaded another bugfix update to GME, which should automatically detect and fix the problems shown in Muddy_Puddles' screenshots. If you're not getting automatic updates from Tampermonkey, you can download the new version from http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/109145

For the morbidly curious techies, GME stores it's parameters as a JSON-formatted string that represents a Javascript object. Within the object there's supposed to be an array of map information. This array had somehow got converted into a string, and GME was trying to interpret each character as a separate map... Still not sure how the corruption comes about though.

For the non-techies, if this type of corruption comes back, the script should just put it right without you having to do anything. Fingers crossed!

GME stopped working for me a while back, but has started working again in the last few days. I'm on Windows XP, Chrome browser and running GME v0.6.7.1 with OS maps tweak. It's not working for me on my work PC. I'll check the version number when I'm back in the office from next Monday and post again.

OS maps now working on my work PC thanks to the latest update.

When opening a cache page with the GME script enabled the page opens then instantly scrolls down to about half way down the cache page. I've tested this on Windows with Firefox & Chrome, and Linux with Firefox & Chrome. I'm definitely using GME 0.6.7.3 on the Linux box where this happens, but not sure about the Windows box (at work). Disabling the GME script definitely stops this happening in every case.

There is a discussion of a similar problem on the main forums which I suspect is the same, though it hasn't been confirmed yet, see here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=318911

When opening a cache page with the GME script enabled the page opens then instantly scrolls down to about half way down the cache page. I've tested this on Windows with Firefox & Chrome, and Linux with Firefox & Chrome. I'm definitely using GME 0.6.7.3 on the Linux box where this happens, but not sure about the Windows box (at work). Disabling the GME script definitely stops this happening in every case.

There is a discussion of a similar problem on the main forums which I suspect is the same, though it hasn't been confirmed yet, see here

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=318911

This has been happening to me all day too (Windows Chrome user) and sometimes the OS map doesn't display, or zooms in to unfeasibly close up. The 'View larger map' option doesn't seem to be affected.

The same is happening to me, with grease monkey enabled the cache page jumps to the bottom, with it disabled it opens normally.

I am using Firefox

View large map image on the cache page, doesn't seem to be affected on the cache page. and is working fine in the larger view

This bug will most likely affect everyone, regardless of which web browser they use. It is caused by Groundspeak upgrading the version of the Leaflet Maps API that they use from v0.5.1 to v0.7.1. I do have a fix for it, but I am working on a worse bug caused by the same change, which affects the maps on cache listings that have waypoints or corrected coordinates.

Geocaching.com is now using at least three different versions of Leaflet on different parts of the site, so there may well be more bugs to follow with future updates...

This bug will most likely affect everyone, regardless of which web browser they use. It is caused by Groundspeak upgrading the version of the Leaflet Maps API that they use from v0.5.1 to v0.7.1. I do have a fix for it, but I am working on a worse bug caused by the same change, which affects the maps on cache listings that have waypoints or corrected coordinates.

Fwiw it doesn't seem to have had any impact on Opera 12.(whatever the last deceit version of Opera was).

But that's going to be a niche product anyway I guess :-)

... I am working on a worse bug caused by the same change, which affects the maps on cache listings that have waypoints or corrected coordinates.

Geocaching.com is now using at least three different versions of Leaflet on different parts of the site, so there may well be more bugs to follow with future updates...

I really appreciate you working to fix this. It's such a brilliant extension.

:lol: GME v0.6.8 is online :lol:

Hopefully this will work around the new bugs caused by the recent website update. It also adds in a few features requested by users. When you use the map information tool (the 'i' icon), the mouse should change to a crosshair so you can aim it better. When you use the 'i' tool to measure out a route, you can now click on the route markers to show their coordinates, or to delete the marker. That should mean you can edit a route rather than having to redraw it from scratch.

I've tested this on Win 8.1 on the current versions of Firefox and Chrome. And yes Blue Square Thing, it should work on Opera Classic (v12) as well! (I use GME with Opera on my Android tablet...)

As ever, docs and installation instructions at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

And yes Blue Square Thing, it should work on Opera Classic (v12) as well! (I use GME with Opera on my Android tablet...)

As ever, docs and installation instructions at http://geo.inge.org.uk/gme.htm

Yep (on Mavericks anyway) - after a bit of hassle getting it to recognise where it should be looking (thinking the c&p didn't quite behave itself).

Looks good - cross hairs are a nice touch. Are the London street maps new as well or did I just have them disabled before?