2012 Breast Cancer Awareness Coin

Spinneyman

Since 2008, I have been walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-day for the Cure events to honor my mother who died from this disease in 2004. Last year, as many in this forum know, I took on the challenge to walk in all fourteen (14) national 3-day events. I am thrilled to say that I was successful endeavor, which required the raising of $32,200 or $2300/walk. Over $3000 of that amount was raised through fundraisers from a Breast Cancer Awareness coin that my daughter designed. Due to that success, she has designed a similar coin for 2012 and this year's fundraising. Although not as ambitious a year for me, I still plan to walk in 2-3 events, requiring $6900 for three walks.

Our plans are to have a new coin and pin each year, with the front being similar from year to year and the reverse side representing one of the fourteen 3-day event cities. This year would be the first "city" year with the city being Boston, the first city we walk in each year. Why Boston? The reason is because of a very precious nine year old who touched my heart to the core when I saw her on the top of "Belmont Hill" on the second day of the walk. She held a sign that simply stated, "My Mom Died from Breast Cancer - Keeping Walking for a Cure." If one doesn't know why we become so passionate with our fundraising and our walks, one only had to meet this little girl and know that we must find the cure, so other little girls will not have to do what she did. My meeting her was only the beginning of the story. For the full story on this special girl, please select the link at the end of this message to list to my San Diego 3-day speech.

What I am looking for from people is a pre-production, pre-sale "interest" from people who would like to order the coin, so I can have an estimate on how many to order. The coin will be a 1.75" coin, both in a silver or gold finished, with a tracking number on the edge of the coin to preserve the design of the coin. The donation for the coin is $25 and for the pin, $10 or for a set of both, $30. Although this sounds expensive, $20 from each coin goes directly to my SGK account for grants for research, education and support for those affected by breast cancer. The $5 I keep almost covers the production, shipping and postage, with the remainder of the cost being covered by myself as I really want the majority of the money generated going to the SGK organization.

Please give consideration in taking part in the effort to end breast cancer through your donation for a coin, pin or set. My thanks extend beyond myself, as it includes those for whom your donation will help.

To see the artist's rendering for the coin

Just curious: The Susan G. Komen Foundation aggressively defends any "run/walk for a cure" phrasing. I know this because some Alfred University students were organizing a fundraiser for breast cancer research and used a variation of the phrase. They were contacte by the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the interaction was neither pleasant nor supportive.

This brings me to my question, Have you cleared this with the Susan G. Komen Foundation?

Just curious: The Susan G. Komen Foundation aggressively defends any "run/walk for a cure" phrasing. I know this because some Alfred University students were organizing a fundraiser for breast cancer research and used a variation of the phrase. They were contacte by the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the interaction was neither pleasant nor supportive.

This brings me to my question, Have you cleared this with the Susan G. Komen Foundation?

Great question. Yes, I did clear it with SGK. I have had no problems with phrases such as "We walk because we must...we walk for the cure...we walk because we walk away" or any like phrases. In fact, the one thing I did change was the looped ribbon on the back side that is like someone walking up the "Belmont Hill" had to lose the "dot" above the ribbon as that was considered too much like their icon. So I'm confident that I'm good to go. Besides, the wording that I have on the backside of the coin is exactly what was on the little girl's sign on Belmont Hill, not something I took from SGK and they are well aware of that also. Thank you for asking as it was a good thing to question.