Becareful where you place a cache

jellis

Recently we have some cachers (nice people)putting out a mini power trail. They are so excited about putting them out they are not paying attention to where they are putting them. Two of them got archived today due to the landowners not wanting them near their property. They may or may not have been on their property but because of the amount of cachers going to them aroused the landowners attention and they were not happy having cars going up and down their quiet country roads, pulling over (possible on their property) and finding caches in plain site of the landowners homes. I too get very uncomfortable about finding caches in front of residential homes or in the country in front of rancher homes. Especially if causes dogs to excessively bark and disturbs the rest of the neighborhood.

We also have a cache placed in our area that only one person has found it (since 8/11) because though it is on a public country road, it is private property on either side of the road. So where are you going to park? It has been mentioned the cache is in a cattle grate in the middle of the road. That means standing in the middle of the road to look for it while ranchers are trying to drive down the road. One cacher said he was told by the ranchers that they do not want the caches on this road. No one has reported this to the reviewers.

Recently we have some cachers (nice people)putting out a mini power trail. They are so excited about putting them out they are not paying attention to where they are putting them. Two of them got archived today due to the landowners not wanting them near their property. They may or may not have been on their property but because of the amount of cachers going to them aroused the landowners attention and they were not happy having cars going up and down their quiet country roads, pulling over (possible on their property) and finding caches in plain site of the landowners homes.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, even when 100% of the power trail caches are on the public right of way. Just imagine you're living on your rural road for 30 years, then all of a sudden, one day, dozens of people per weekend converge on your road, and do what power trail cachers do (stop every 528 feet and find caches). The homeowners certainly must find this strange.

This was, in my opinion, the right thing to do. As opposed to getting all militant with a "too bad, it's on the public right of way" attitude. Then again, we could send Hukialulu over there to stand in the road and take pictures of their house. :ph34r:

while i understand the concern of a sudden exodus of people on an otherwise quiet country road i have recently come across someone taking it upon themselves to restrict access to a trail which has one single cache there since 2005

it is a public trail yet they put up dollar store "no parking" signs

tail entrance is a good distance past their home and with lots of space for a couple of cars to park plus their home is way back away from the road

further more the conservation authority owns the trails and the city owns the road, nowhere does it say it is a private road

Recently we have some cachers (nice people)putting out a mini power trail. They are so excited about putting them out they are not paying attention to where they are putting them. Two of them got archived today due to the landowners not wanting them near their property. They may or may not have been on their property but because of the amount of cachers going to them aroused the landowners attention and they were not happy having cars going up and down their quiet country roads, pulling over (possible on their property) and finding caches in plain site of the landowners homes.

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, even when 100% of the power trail caches are on the public right of way. Just imagine you're living on your rural road for 30 years, then all of a sudden, one day, dozens of people per weekend converge on your road, and do what power trail cachers do (stop every 528 feet and find caches). The homeowners certainly must find this strange.

This was, in my opinion, the right thing to do. As opposed to getting all militant with a "too bad, it's on the public right of way" attitude. Then again, we could send Hukialulu over there to stand in the road and take pictures of their house. :ph34r:

Here's an example of a power trail cache that upset a homeowner.

icon_smile.gif Found it 2011 ........ I also ran into the unhappy landowner (when I tried to replace the cache), and I told him that I would pass along his wishes (that the cache be removed) to the CO and geocaching.com. He was happy that this would be done. [The CO] had obtained his permission, but he did not expect so many geocachers coming by (and at such odd hours), so now he wants the cache gone. I am afraid that this one needs to be archived. I hope that it resurfaces in another location since it is such a nice cache.

icon_sad.gif Didn't find it 2011 Made an attempt at this one today, was told by a not so friendly resident to get away from his property, and thus ended my caching for today.

Recently we have some cachers (nice people)putting out a mini power trail. They are so excited about putting them out they are not paying attention to where they are putting them. Two of them got archived today due to the landowners not wanting them near their property. They may or may not have been on their property but because of the amount of cachers going to them aroused the landowners attention and they were not happy having cars going up and down their quiet country roads, pulling over (possible on their property) and finding caches in plain site of the landowners homes. I too get very uncomfortable about finding caches in front of residential homes or in the country in front of rancher homes. Especially if causes dogs to excessively bark and disturbs the rest of the neighborhood.

We also have a cache placed in our area that only one person has found it (since 8/11) because though it is on a public country road, it is private property on either side of the road. So where are you going to park? It has been mentioned the cache is in a cattle grate in the middle of the road. That means standing in the middle of the road to look for it while ranchers are trying to drive down the road. One cacher said he was told by the ranchers that they do not want the caches on this road. No one has reported this to the reviewers.

What about the CO? Has anyone tried to contact them? If so, this seems like a great use of the NA log. I know, I know, public property and all, but why piss off the locals? There are some pretty backwoods rancers up in this area, and if the ones down there are anything like these country boys, it's only a matter of time until somebody is being shown the business end of a rifle for messing around the livestock. Throw the flag.

I hate caches hidden in residential neighborhoods or in view of people's homes. We've got a cacher here with just a few finds, but a dozen hides. They are all micros on street signs in residential neighborhoods.

I'm with you. We just had a cache placed by a guy with under 5 finds that is right smack dab in the middle of a condo complex. Not so bad if it's in the middle of a nice, clear field or something, but we're talking in the middle of a courtyard that is what six different front doors open up to. Anyone of them decides to leave their house, and boom. Compromised geocacher. No bueno.

I hate caches hidden in residential neighborhoods or in view of people's homes. We've got a cacher here with just a few finds, but a dozen hides. They are all micros on street signs in residential neighborhoods.

I'm with you. We just had a cache placed by a guy with under 5 finds that is right smack dab in the middle of a condo complex. Not so bad if it's in the middle of a nice, clear field or something, but we're talking in the middle of a courtyard that is what six different front doors open up to. Anyone of them decides to leave their house, and boom. Compromised geocacher. No bueno.

That would be one I would drive up to and keep going. Add to ignore list

I dislike the caches in the area that say 'watch out for muggles' and you've got a micro hidden at a stop sign right in the middle of a residential area with houses all around. I guess you have to put caches somewhere but I don't plan to use residential areas.

those i would just ignore the muggles and get it. being stealthy in a rez area attracts more attention than if you just find it ignoring muggles.

I found a cache this week in a grocery store parking lot, that was really creepy!!!

The problem is that there is a bar in the strip mall there that seems to be attracting all sorts of unsavory sorts.

A friend of mine warned me not to search for this cache at night, that it would be really dangerous. I didn't realize it would be so bad in the day even!!!

I'm not even talking about all the trash that I had to differentiate from the cache!

And there were two cop cars at the far side of the parking lot when I got there.

Still, what creepos!!!!! Wow. Scary place midday even.

I felt much safer when I found those caches on the side of that cliff!!

What about the CO? Has anyone tried to contact them? If so, this seems like a great use of the NA log. I know, I know, public property and all, but why piss off the locals? There are some pretty backwoods rancers up in this area, and if the ones down there are anything like these country boys, it's only a matter of time until somebody is being shown the business end of a rifle for messing around the livestock. Throw the flag.

From what is being said on the other thread. This one is not about the same caches as that one. But hers is on the same type of placement.

Yes the COs have been notified and they have been archived. This thread had nothing to do with that, what I am trying to do with this thread is hopefully prevent future run ins, with cachers thinking twice about placing caches in front of landowners homes. These 2 mentioned were placed right in front of the owners gates. Even after being archived one of the landowners has parked himself in front of his property during the day to see if anyone comes back.

Edited by jellis

The problem with all residential hides is that there's so many assumptions. What if a cacher enters in a coord a digit off? What if your coords are just a little off, or, the GPS accuracy is just having a bad day the day that I am out looking? In many residential areas, the difference between me being within the permission area and me being out of it is often a difference of only a few feet, a difference smaller than the accuracy of my GPSr. There is one I went to look for that is placed in someone's yard on their fence. Meaning that once I arrive, I have absolutely no idea which yard I can, and can't be searching from. And it begs the question, have you discussed the cache with every single neighbor within eyeshot of your home? If someone drove up to my neighbor's house and started rooting around their bushes, I'd probably go check on things

It's funny, geocaching was around for years before I heard of it... Which makes me often think, "I wonder what other games other people are playing that I don't know anything about yet?" Watch, it turns out there is some global scavenger hunt game that involves my neighbor's arbor vitaes that I have never heard of.

Edited by Sky King 36

There is one I went to look for that is placed in someone's yard on their fence. Meaning that once I arrive, I have absolutely no idea which yard I can, and can't be searching from. And it begs the question, have you discussed the cache with every single neighbor within eyeshot of your home? If someone drove up to my neighbor's house and started rooting around their bushes, I'd probably go check on things

I agree, CO should let everyone know they have permission even if it's their own property and to give a good clue as to point to which property is the right one like a GEO clue at the property or description of the property.

It's funny, geocaching was around for years before I heard of it... Which makes me often think, "I wonder what other games other people are playing that I don't know anything about yet?" Watch, it turns out there is some global scavenger hunt game that involves my neighbor's arbor vitaes that I have never heard of.

I was playing 3 different other Geo games. One I archived my caches, another one I have done that much on. And one should not be to confused with Geocaching.

Edited by jellis

I don't think we should blindly archive caches just because someone complains. Each situation needs to be evaluated. I support logging NA if you encounter an angry, unreasonable "neighbor". I support removing the cache if said "neighbor" insists upon it. But I don't support the notion that the cache should be automatically archived. There are plenty of scenarios that would not warrant archival.

I believe that power trails have exacerbated the issue we're discussing. They cause a lot of traffic and a whole lot of that traffic has no concept how to retrieve a cache without attracting undue attention. There is probably a contingent that doesn't even care. But realistically, it's hard to be stealthy if you are the 28th person to visit a lamp post in the last 8 hours.

I actually found a cache once that was hidden on a "Neighborhood Watch" sign.

So did we....but we were on public property, and that CO's tax dollars paid for the sign, in his "hood", so what the heck. We've also found a bunch of nanos at bus stops, rural, semi-rural, urban and suburban.

I'm in the "if you aren't comfortable searching for this one, move on to the next" camp.

It is a lot to do with the numbers of cachers which will be greater in the beginning and lessen as the cache "ages" IMO.

There is one I went to look for that is placed in someone's yard on their fence. Meaning that once I arrive, I have absolutely no idea which yard I can, and can't be searching from. And it begs the question, have you discussed the cache with every single neighbor within eyeshot of your home? If someone drove up to my neighbor's house and started rooting around their bushes, I'd probably go check on things

I agree, CO should let everyone know they have permission even if it's their own property and to give a good clue as to point to which property is the right one like a GEO clue at the property or description of the property.

I was playing 3 different other Geo games. One I archived my caches, another one I have done that much on. And one should not be to confused with Geocaching.

HOUSE NUMBER PLEASE! if its at a house without explicit instructions off to ignore it goes.

I don't think we should blindly archive caches just because someone complains. Each situation needs to be evaluated. I support logging NA if you encounter an angry, unreasonable "neighbor". I support removing the cache if said "neighbor" insists upon it. But I don't support the notion that the cache should be automatically archived. There are plenty of scenarios that would not warrant archival.

I believe that power trails have exacerbated the issue we're discussing. They cause a lot of traffic and a whole lot of that traffic has no concept how to retrieve a cache without attracting undue attention. There is probably a contingent that doesn't even care. But realistically, it's hard to be stealthy if you are the 28th person to visit a lamp post in the last 8 hours.

So which is better?

Remove the cache by landowners request and put NA with also explaining the cache has been removed so the cachers who read the NA know not to bother with it. And let the reviewer straighten it out with the cache owner.

Or leave the cache there and have the landowner remove it (because you didn't) and have cachers still go to the site thinking it is still there and upset the landowner more. And you send a message to the cache owner who maybe too busy or doesn't care because they think you are just complaining.

So which is better?

Remove the cache by landowners request and put NA with also explaining the cache has been removed so the cachers who read the NA know not to bother with it. And let the reviewer straighten it out with the cache owner.

Or leave the cache there and have the landowner remove it (because you didn't) and have cachers still go to the site thinking it is still there and upset the landowner more. And you send a message to the cache owner who maybe too busy or doesn't care because they think you are just complaining.

Did you read what I wrote?? I will try to be more clear...

Log your experience online for others to see.

Post NA or at least email the owner and the reviewer to let them know there is a problem.

Remove the cache if requested to do so. Post NA if you were required to remove the cache.

Let the CO, the neighbor, and the reviewer work out the details to determine whether the cache should be archived.

I don't think an irate muggle is grounds for immediate, uncontestable archival.

Is there anything here you disagree with?

What I find hard to believe is that ANYBODY thinks that archiving a geocache is that important. Aren't there enough caches out there? If there's a problem with a cache just outside the neighbors gate and it's causing trouble, archive the dadgum thing. It's really not that important folks! Some people seem to be so reluctant to archive a cache, or feel it needs to be "adopted" by somebody else, but why? If it's such a great spot, another cacher can plant one there after the fact and take over. Let's get serious people.

Yes this part. but you made a mistake not a muggle it should read "landowner"

Muggle could be anyone. This is someone who has to see cachers come up to his/her property who may not want them there. And I didn't say uncontestable. See my previous post. Why put cachers in that uncomfortable position to deal with it?

Edited by jellis

It's just a bit off topic here but a point that needs to be remembered is that archiving a cache is just a form of cache maintainence. It is the final fix for any cache problem. It does not destroy the cache or change the stats or records on that cache. It just takes the cache out of play. And as noted, it doesn't have to be final. It can be unarchived.

Yes this part. but you made a mistake not a muggle it should read "landowner"

Muggle could be anyone. This is someone who has to see cachers come up to his/her property who may not want them there. And I didn't say uncontestable. See my previous post. Why put cachers in that uncomfortable position to deal with it?

A lot of muggles are landowners. A lot of the landowners currently being discussed don't own the land the cache is placed on. That's why I didn't say landowner.

If you are only talking about archiving caches that are illegally placed on the "landowner's" property then we are in complete agreement. I don't think that's what you're talking about at all.

Thankfully the NA is only a tool to make the reviewer and CO aware of a problem. Those that don't need to be archived won't be.

Edited by Trinity's Crew