Hello I am new. I have a question

hellomikie92

Hello I am new to this game, and I just realized that a good number of people that is into this hobby gets stopped by the police, and by curious people I am wondering what do I need to tell them, if I do get stopped? I mean I also metal detect, but this hobby seems to get more attention to the police, and people, which is kinda weird. I mean I thought metal detectorists, had problems, but people geo caching seems to get it worse. Thank you!

Do what I do...carry a couple geocaching brochures with you. They're available from the Geocaching Website at this link: Geocaching Brochure. Might also let them know that law enforcement members are eligible for free memberships so they can check out what's around their neighborhoods.

Typically, the police are just curious...unless they're there because someone called. The last time that happened I was told that it would be best to probably leave at that point and come back later. Which I did.

Good luck!!

Hello I am new to this game, and I just realized that a good number of people that is into this hobby gets stopped by the police, and by curious people I am wondering what do I need to tell them, if I do get stopped? I mean I also metal detect, but this hobby seems to get more attention to the police, and people, which is kinda weird. I mean I thought metal detectorists, had problems, but people geo caching seems to get it worse. Thank you!

So a few of these brochures, will reduce my risk of getting hauled off in shiny bracelets?

I have been stopped by the police once. I told them truth about what I was doing. I won't lie to the cops.

If it is just a curious/nosey citizen I'll try to judge their motivation. If they appear to be curious I'll let them in on it, if they are angry or hostile I'll keep Geocaching out of the conversation completely.

We got stopped this week. Was in a valley and they rode up on their bikes and yelled "Gwinnett Police, can you meet me at the top of the hill?" I went up, ID in hand, and just explained that we were geocaching. They both knew what it was and just asked to see the GPS/Phone/Printout that had the cache description. He looked at it and then just said they were checking to make sure everything was OK. They rode off and said "be careful out there" and that was it.

Edited by Clayshooter

Hi, I also metal detect - and you're right, I get questioned more often whilst caching than when detecting. I think its because when I'm swinging a detector my intent is obvious, but when caching there is no obvious intent. In fact we can look very suspicious checking this and that out. If I'm ever asked what I'm doing I just come clean and tell 'em. Show them the GPS screen and most people are happy enough to let me carry on.

You've gotten some good advise so far. Just remember you are doing nothing wrong so be open and honest and cooperative and you're golden.

Also I've only been approached by the police once while caching, and he just wanted to know if I had found it because when looked for he logged a DNF. He even got in the bushes and helped me look for a few minutes. :laughing:

Or you could just take your metal detector with you while looking for a geocache. if it happens to be in a metal container, you might find it faster. when someone asks you what you are doing, you just given them a blank stare and look back and fourth between them and your metal detector, given an awkward silence and tell them you are metal detecting, you just thought it was pretty obvious what you were doing. the metal detector should give you a great excuse to be where you are.