What would you like to see in a geocache?

bobafett160

What would you like to find in a cache? What would be your perfect caching experience? Give us your ideas!

I haven't done a lot of geocaching as of yet, but the caches I look forward to the most are the ones that take me somewhere that is interesting. Interesting = places with a view, and/or a place that is old and abandoned, and/or a place with a unique feature, etc.

I like a variety of caches but one of the most important things to me is knowing I have authorization to be there and I don't have to risk doing damage to find the cache. If I start wondering if the CO really got permission for the cache to be there ( ie somewhere i would never want someone rumaging around) or I have to guess which of the 5 identical sprinkler heads is the cache, I'll move on. There's nothing like looking over your shoulder to take the fun out of the hunt.

I'd like a puzzle with a great "Aha!" moment, perhaps with an in-theme location...

Or perhaps a long hike through the woods...

Or perhaps a cache that draws attention to public art...

Or perhaps an on-site puzzle...

Or a container with 4-star camouflage...

Or perhaps a hike along the baylands...

Or perhaps a chance to try something new, like kayaking...

I'd like a puzzle with a great "Aha!" moment, perhaps with an in-theme location...

Kayaking?! Your crazy!!!.......

And genius!!! Muahahaha! Good thing I have many years ahead of me to think about sometn like that. If i come up with something i will be sure to notify you!

And genius!!! Muahahaha! Good thing I have many years ahead of me to think about sometn like that. If i come up with something i will be sure to notify you!

Of course, now that I've been on a couple of geo-kayaking trips, it's no longer really "something new" for me. Although it's still a lot of fun!

But I'm not really a kayaker. I was accompanied/supervised by kayakers on both trips though.

Although there are some pretty crazy things one can do in a kayak such as going over high waterfalls there are many different ways to kayak and pretty much anyone can learn how. Some might think of whitewater kayaking as crazy but that's just one kind of kayaking. I've seen 6 year olds do it and met a woman in her 80's that has gone on several multi-hundred mile trip along the coast of Alaska by herself. I've got a photo of another woman that's over 100 years old paddling a kayak. I would guess that probably 80% of the caches intended to be done in a kayak could probably be done in a $15 inflatable rubber raft or even a pool float. I don't think I've seen any "kayak" caches that would require significant kayaking skills and I've taught dozens of people that had never been a kayak before how to do it so I have a pretty good idea what level of skill would be necessary to go after most kayak caches.

Regarding kayaks, my first kayaking trip was with REI's Geo-Kayak Tour, which is basically a version of their intro kayaking class where the route is chosen to pass several 5-star terrain caches that require a boat. I'd done a fair bit of canoeing before, so it was easy.

My second kayaking trip, I borrowed a kayak from a very experienced kayaker who has several, and who loaned kayaks to me and to another geocacher for a GBA bring-your-own-kayak group trip. Let's just say that what he called "responsive" I called "twitchy". It was still a lot of fun, but it wasn't as easy, and I didn't stay dry.

A gold bar or two.
Don't forget: trade up, trade even, or don't trade! :P

As far as other things I'd like to see in a geocache: I too am a fan of dry logs (i.e., waterproof containers). I also like to trade for personal signature items left by other geocachers. But containers don't need to be very big for most sig items. And the interesting sig items tend to get lost among the junk other trade items when the container is larger than a small shoebox.

I haven't done a lot of geocaching as of yet, but the caches I look forward to the most are the ones that take me somewhere that is interesting. Interesting = places with a view, and/or a place that is old and abandoned, and/or a place with a unique feature, etc.

Yes, I have lived in this area for the majority of 22+ yrs & absolutely love some of the caches taking us to places we would normally just drive past. Like when we learn something, too

I'm easy, just hide me a DRY log to sign once in a while!

Yes! We have gotten tired of the 'bag taped to back of magnet which is thrown anywhere it'll stick'. Most of them have been wet lately

A gold bar or two.
Don't forget: trade up, trade even, or don't trade! :P

:laughing::laughing:

Although there are some pretty crazy things one can do in a kayak such as going over high waterfalls there are many different ways to kayak and pretty much anyone can learn how. Some might think of whitewater kayaking as crazy but that's just one kind of kayaking. I've seen 6 year olds do it and met a woman in her 80's that has gone on several multi-hundred mile trip along the coast of Alaska by herself. I've got a photo of another woman that's over 100 years old paddling a kayak. I would guess that probably 80% of the caches intended to be done in a kayak could probably be done in a $15 inflatable rubber raft or even a pool float. I don't think I've seen any "kayak" caches that would require significant kayaking skills and I've taught dozens of people that had never been a kayak before how to do it so I have a pretty good idea what level of skill would be necessary to go after most kayak caches.

I dont think kayaking itself is crazy. Ive done it before and love it. Just akayaking cache. Crazy but genius!

What would be your perfect caching experience?

A quality container, such as an ammo can, big enough for swag, so those like myself who enjoy pawing through trinkets can get their fix, (whilst those who don't won't care either way), at an inspired location, requiring a good deal of effort to get to, tied into one of my other hobbies such as kayaking or mountain biking, with an interesting write up. B)

I'd like to see some more caches in trees. Maybe if there are a bunch of tree caches that require technical climbing equipment, I would learn about a new activity so I can find those ones. But even just smaller trees that can be climbed with no special equipment are a lot of fun. Some of my favorite finds have been up trees, but it would be nice if the caches in tree ratio was greater than my cache in tree find ratio of 1/70. If every tenth or twentieth cache were in a tree, I think that would be pretty splendid. Many tree caches should be 15-20 feet up and accessible by normal, non-superhuman folk without equipment. My hides will be in trees when I start hiding after I settle down and stop having widespread adventures and pandemonium.