explorist gc

hotfudge31

Do you happen to know what version of the firmware you are currently using? That bit of information would be very useful. Versions 1.4 and earlier have had some reported power on/off issues.

You can try doing this:

Go to the Magellan website and download the newest version of the firmware (ver 1.7 as of this post).

1. Plug the GPS into PC with USB cable. Do this with the GPS turned off (it shouldn't be an issue in your case).

2. Hold the menu and the joystick in the "up" position and power buttons. Make sure you HOLD all three buttons until unit is fully powered on. This should allow the unit to go into maintenance/disk access mode and make a USB connection to your PC.

3. Follow the normal firmware install directions to install the latest version of the firmware.

Edited by Glenn

Do you happen to know what version of the firmware you are currently using? That bit of information would be very useful. Versions 1.4 and earlier have had some reported power on/off issues.

You can try doing this:

Go to the Magellan website and download the newest version of the firmware (ver 1.7 as of this post).

1. Plug the GPS into PC with USB cable. Do this with the GPS turned off (it shouldn't be an issue in your case).

2. Hold the menu and the joystick in the "up" position and power buttons. Make sure you HOLD all three buttons until unit is fully powered on. This should allow the unit to go into maintenance/disk access mode and make a USB connection to your PC.

3. Follow the normal firmware install directions to install the latest version of the firmware.

Thanks, but I resolved the problem by using a hard eraser and scrubbing the positive terminals..Will now keep one in my geopack.

Mine is having the same problem. Although the software in mine is corrupt and will not allow the firmware to download. Magellan will not service the unit and offered me a replacement for $119.00.

I paid $200 for it in July of 2010 and it "broke" in February of 2012. It was running version 1.7. I don't want to spend an additional $119 every year and a half just to go geocaching.

Does anyone know a crack in the software that can help me out? I tried all of the above steps and was on the phone with customer service twice.

Mine is having the same problem. Although the software in mine is corrupt and will not allow the firmware to download. Magellan will not service the unit and offered me a replacement for $119.00.

I paid $200 for it in July of 2010 and it "broke" in February of 2012. It was running version 1.7. I don't want to spend an additional $119 every year and a half just to go geocaching.

Does anyone know a crack in the software that can help me out? I tried all of the above steps and was on the phone with customer service twice.

If you go to this website, explorist GC reinstall,you will be able to re-install the software that is on the unit. When you click on the link, click on the explorist GC image (that is the unit you have correct?) then click on the downloads tab on the top. Towards the bottom of the page is a link to "eXplorist GC software reinstallation". Click on that and a window will appear, download the software and follow the directions. This is from Magellan website itself. I know that this is from the Europe version of the Magellan's website but I was told by other users that this software will also work for the N. American's explorist GC unit.