Map View

RockArtNick

What happened to being able to see the caches on Google Satellite maps? Are we stuck with MapQuest Aerial?

I know and it is slow as molasses to redraw. I don't understand why they changed it. I am using 2 different browsers and the satilite tiles do not appear when I zoom all the way to the closest level, which is what you need to locate urban caches. Please change it back!!!

Please do not discuss geocaching maps in this thread it has nothing to do with geocaching maps. There are plenty of threads about the changes to geocaching maps in other sections of the forums... this is not the correct section to discuss them.

In response to the OP's question, the best is the GoogleEarth links.

this is a great little map however when entering new waymarks I change the N to S and The W to E on the coordinates (as I am in Australia) and then proceed to enter the information next when I begin to add photo's the coordinates reflect N and W which is real annoying can this be fixed.

Edited by a1elec

Please do not discuss geocaching maps in this thread it has nothing to do with geocaching maps. There are plenty of threads about the changes to geocaching maps in other sections of the forums... this is not the correct section to discuss them.

In response to the OP's question, the best is the GoogleEarth links.

Agreeing with BruceS that the GoogleEarth KML plug is the best option. It's free, interactive and works fantastic. Get it on the Waymarking.com home page under 'other services'.

Every circle with an icon is a waymark or stack of them. Clicking on one expands it. Wicked isn't it?

a1dd7413-0acc-4e06-9c61-258765dc08bb.jpg

Waymark maps and geocaching maps are a little bit different.

Yes, they are, and even more different now.

Waymarking.com still seems to go to Google maps.

The most annoying part of that is that the satellite views that come up are very, very old. The building where I have lived for the past three years, is not even shown in the satellite view! Not having more recent views makes it difficult to check the accuracy of waymark coodinates. I don't do that for every waymark that I review, but sometimes I need to. If it is a new building or feature, it won't even be there to check.

At least we don't have Map Quest or Open Street maps. Neither of them have anywhere enough street detail, compared to Google, to be useful for locating waymarks - at least where I live.