eTrex 20/30 2.70 update

Newsdude

The question is what on earth Garmin are up to?

In the 48 hours I have owned this thing (an etrex 30), I have discovered and confirmed at least five irritating bugs.

One complete system crash as well (screen blanking and subsequent color garble). Good thing I wasn't in a hailstorm on a mountain and needed to find my tent.

Do tech companies not generally send their developments in hardware and software through quality control/field testing anymore?

Is that too expensive?

While I do accept some bugs, it makes one wonder when you discover several serious such -as a single person, not even making any systematic attempt to discover bugs- in a time frame of a few hours.

I would happily shed twice or thrice the money for things that reliably work out of the box.

Edited by tr_s

Thank you sir!!!! Let the testing begin!!!!

Day 1 test results: UGH!!!!!!!

Really ? How bad is bad ? Details.

The firmware version number changed... That's it! I'm really bummed .

How about supplying some useful details. A post that is "ugh" in its entirety is not helpful, nor is this one. The firmware number change from 61 beta to 70 was expected. Exactly what problems are you still having with the 2.70 release? Thank you.

I installed 2.70 on an eTrex 20 and tried it out yesterday afternoon. We hit about eight caches in varying terrain and cover, and eTrex worked fine. No "sticky" behavior was observed, and accuracy to the caches seemed fine. Even seemed better under trees. So far, so good.

This is what I want to read.

How about supplying some useful details. A post that is "ugh" in its entirety is not helpful, nor is this one. The firmware number change from 61 beta to 70 was expected. Exactly what problems are you still having with the 2.70 release? Thank you.

Sorry bout that.... I was really tired after a long day hike in the woods. (and really let down) I plan to do several days of testing to be sure before shooting a video of its horrible geocaching performance with 2.70 . If you watch the last video I shot.... Well, it's the same. The sticky issue shown is my only issue with the device... And I'm very happy with all other aspects of it.

Sorry bout that.... I was really tired after a long day hike in the woods. (and really let down) I plan to do several days of testing to be sure before shooting a video of its horrible geocaching performance with 2.70 . If you watch the last video I shot.... Well, it's the same. The sticky issue shown is my only issue with the device... And I'm very happy with all other aspects of it.

It's nice to see someone take their time for the benefit of others. Nicely done.

I've owned my Etrex 20 since early January, and to be honest its always worked perfectly - and no sticking issues! I updated to 2.70 firmware yesterday evening just because 'it was available'. The results... I've just returned from an uneventful mornings caching, the Etrex performed without any problem (just as always!). Another ten caches in the bag.

I'm not saying the sticking issue has been sorted, I'm just saying "I still haven't experienced it".

Excellent video!

I hope that you can show this to Garmin.

I haven't noticed the "sticky" issue but it's very possible that I simply walk faster to the cache than you do.

I think I'll go outside and set up a test just like you did and compare my eTrex 20 to my 60Cx.

Okay, I just went outside and did EXACTLY what you did in your video above with my eTrex 20 and my 60Cx.

I experienced absolutely ZERO "sticky" issues whatsoever. I did the test twice.

I have Glonass turned off and I'm still using SW version 2.6

I'm glad not everybody is having issues. In the hills , 2.70 was a mess on mine. Going out today for some flatland caches... Will see how it does out of the trees and hills.

I hope most are fixed with the latest update... If so, I will return my unit for a new one. I'm so happy with the 20 ( other than the sticky thing ) !

Keep the feedback coming!

ChefRD2000's side by side test had to be side by side in order to fit on screen, but that means there could have been some sort of proximity RF interference between them.

Anybody with expertise to say whether that's possible or not?

Also, if test was done with an Etrex 30 and a 62s, would proximity of compasses affect each other?

ChefRD2000's side by side test had to be side by side in order to fit on screen, but that means there could have been some sort of proximity RF interference between them.

Anybody with expertise to say whether that's possible or not?

Also, if test was done with an Etrex 30 and a 62s, would proximity of compasses affect each other?

Wish it was that simple. :-)

Okay, I just went outside and did EXACTLY what you did in your video above with my eTrex 20 and my 60Cx.

I experienced absolutely ZERO "sticky" issues whatsoever. I did the test twice.

I have Glonass turned off and I'm still using SW version 2.6

I'm glad not everybody is having issues. In the hills , 2.70 was a mess on mine. Going out today for some flatland caches... Will see how it does out of the trees and hills.

I hope most are fixed with the latest update... If so, I will return my unit for a new one. I'm so happy with the 20 ( other than the sticky thing ) !

Keep the feedback coming!

To be fair, there were few trees for my test, BUT looking at your video you were on a road, so there were few trees directly overhead for you as well.

The fact that this is happening to some and not others makes me think it's not necessarily the eTrex unit but instead a setting on the unit that is causing this? Maybe half of us have something set on and the other half have it set off and this is causing the sticky issue?

Edited by GrnXnham

The fact that this is happening to some and not others makes me think it's not necessarily the eTrex unit but instead a setting on the unit that is causing this? Maybe half of us have something set on and the other half have it set off and this is causing the sticky issue?

That's what I was thinking. If I understand it correctly, the speed of the reading of the satellites and updating of the maps, is dependent on the profile. So assuming one is on the geocache profile, this should give the most accurate reading. This might still also depend on the setting of the routing. Enough stuff to experiment :) Oh yeah, and hope and pray they will come with a similar fix for the Montana!

Just for info, mine is set GPS & GLONAS=ON, WAAS/EGNOSS=OFF.

These are the conditions I set my Etrex 20 to when I first recieved it, so far I've not had an issue with it sticking. I've regularly updated the firmware and currently its on 2.70...

I just hope I stay lucky.

Edited by Croesgadwr

So, I'm doing the update and the GPS has now been sat there showing 'Loader Loading' for a good 20 minutes. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure that it hasn't taken that long in the past. It got through the checking update screen pretty quickly.

Fingers crossed that I don't need to get another unit replaced...

Me thinks it bricked.

Just for info, mine is set GPS & GLONAS=ON, WAAS/EGNOSS=OFF.

These are the conditions I set my Etrex 20 to when I first recieved it, so far I've not had an issue with it sticking. I've regularly updated the firmware and currently its on 2.70...

I also updated Garmins WebUpdater before proceeding with 2.70

Edited by Croesgadwr

So, I'm doing the update and the GPS has now been sat there showing 'Loader Loading' for a good 20 minutes. Is this normal? I'm pretty sure that it hasn't taken that long in the past. It got through the checking update screen pretty quickly.

My eTrex 20 did that when I tried to update with the 2.61-beta firmware. Luckily, I loaded it to a microSD card, and was able to pull the batteries and delete the update from the card in a card-reader. If yours loaded to the device itself, as I suspect the WebUpdater does, you may have to send the unit in to get its mind erased. :blink:

After waiting a couple of hours there had been no change to the screen and all I could do was remove a battery and reboot. On doing so the unit again validated the update, loaded the loader and this time proceeded to apply the update. It's now working as expected ready for testing tomorrow. I have a vague recollection that this happened on a previous update

WAAS/EGNOSS=OFF.

Don't you want WAAS enabled for greater accuracy?? :unsure:

Of course I want my GPS to give as acurate a reading as it possibly can. Its my understanding that WAAS & EGNOSS were developed by the FAA & European Space Agency to assist in airbourne navigation. They both rely on satelite and ground based stations, and increase the acuracy of aircraft GPS navigation systems. Thats about all I know of the subject. My theory is that how often am I likely to be travelling at 30,000ft, whilst moving at several hundred miles per hour, with my Etrex 20 in my hand - looking for geo-caches... Not often, right?

Seriously, the initial settings on my Etrex were done when I was 'playing' with the unit when I first recieved it. I set it to both GPS & Glonass 'ON', thinking that "two sets of Sat's have got to give greater acuracy than one", AND - if WAAS/EGNOSS is also 'ON' that it could (just maybe???) cause a conflict within the GPS unit (Reason - three sets of data, each vying to dominate the info displayed on the screen).

And thats it!! Its where I left it in early January of this year... GPS & Glonass 'ON', WAAS/EGNOSS 'OFF'. I make no claims as to whether I'm right or wrong, but so far I've not had a sticking problem. My cache find rate is probably the same as it was with my previous GPS (Legend HCx). I've updated the firmware each time that Garmin have made it available. I enjoy using the '20, and have absolute confidence in it.

WAAS accuracy really doesn't have anything to do with how high you are (unless you're north of Alaska, perhaps), or high fast you're moving. If you are using WAAS, your maximum civilian lateral accuracy is 0.9 meters. Everything else being the same, maximum civilian lateral accuracy without WAAS is 2.5 meters. Either one is easily good enough for geocaching. I leave WAAS on. As John "Bluto" Blutarsky said, "It don't cost nuthin'."

WAAS accuracy really doesn't have anything to do with how high you are (unless you're north of Alaska, perhaps), or high fast you're moving. If you are using WAAS, your maximum civilian lateral accuracy is 0.9 meters. Everything else being the same, maximum civilian lateral accuracy without WAAS is 2.5 meters. Either one is easily good enough for geocaching. I leave WAAS on. As John "Bluto" Blutarsky said, "It don't cost nuthin'."

I didn't actually mean that I thought "altitude / speed" might have anything to do with WAAS/EGNOS being of any consequence as regards Etrex 20/30 sticking issues, it was meant as a light hearted comment... nothing more!!

Like "Lock on Roads"? I'm not sure where you get your 1/2 good, 1/2 bad ratio? From what I've been reading it looks like 99% success and 1% still sticky.

Like "Lock on Roads"? I'm not sure where you get your 1/2 good, 1/2 bad ratio? From what I've been reading it looks like 99% success and 1% still sticky.

It is really hard to get a feel for the problem just by looking at the posts here. How many that are having the problem post here? How many having the problem even know about 2.61 beta or 2.70 release? How many that think they don't have have the problem post here?

I'm not sure where you get your 1/2 good, 1/2 bad ratio? From what I've been reading it looks like 99% success and 1% still sticky.

I'm not sure where you get your 99% good, 1% bad ratio. Have you even got 100 data points, 100 individuals who have performed the update and reporting results here (or anywhere)?

98.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot. That number might seem high, but it's really quite normal.

Only an uncalculated observation. Based on this forum alone I see 4 users that are not sticky and 1 sticky. So I guess thats 80% not sticky and 20% sticky. I go to the other Sticky Report post and see 7 reports no sticky and zero reports sticky. Thats 100% not sticky. So somewhere between 80 100%?

I believe (unsupported opinion) generally people are more likely to post negative results in an attempt to vent frustration.

Edited by Cacheoholic

I managed to get out to test my Etrex 30 today and it was mostly ok - managed a 10 mile walk with 7 caches.

However, I did encounter an issue with the compasss that has occurred off and on since I've had the device (since October-ish 2011). I'm not sure if it's the same as the sticky issue that others are reporting and it's difficult to recreate, but this time I filmed it.

The compass appears to get confused and starts to point in the wrong direction when I'm stationary. When I start to walk it corrects itself but when I stop it again points in the wrong direction.

The device has Glonass switched off, WAAS on. I've just wondered about the profile after seeing it mentioned elsewhere and it looks as though it was set to Recreational rather Geocaching (not sure if this is likely to make a difference - I wouldn't expect this behaviour in any profile).

Before the start of my walk I calibrated the compasss.

I did a 10 mile walk navigating to caches using a combination of the map and compass screens, each using the Geocaching dashboard.

Part way through the walk the compass was acting strangely (pointing in the opposite direction than expected whilst stationary and correceting itself when walking) but this only happend for a couple of minutes. At that time I was in a small clearing amongst thin conifer trees.

After the walk I got back to the car and drove 2 miles down the road to a cache. As I approached the cache I noticed unusual compass behaviour again and have attached a short video (apologies for a lack of focus - I just had my phone for filming).

When the film starts the cache is directly in front of me underneath the lowest of the stone steps which I pan up to. North is to the left of the screen.

When I first pan down to the gps you can see the arrow pointing N but as I approach the cache it suddenly flips to point towards the cache. (notice that the dashboard compass maintains the same orientation as it started with).

When I stop the main compass flips again, with the arrow pointing to the S on the dial but actually pointing to North in the real world.

I then turn 180 and walk back towards the start position. During the turn and before I start walking the arrow continues to point to S on the dial.

As I begin to walk the dial rotates approx. 1/8th of a turn CW but as I continue to walk in a straight line at a constant speed the dial turns back.

Again I turn 180 and walk towards the cache. At this point the arrow is pointing behind me, away from the cache.

As I walk the arrow turns to point towards the cache but when I stop it flips to point behing me (approx 180 degrees out).

I repeat this a few times...

At the end I switch to the satellite screen to give an idea of reception (9 shown on screen).

Notice that throughout the video the distance does increase/decrease as expected, so this doesn't appear to be the sticky issue.

Any comments?

I was simply using the "1/2 good, 1/2 bad ratio" to make a point. I don't think anyone knows exactly what the ratio is. What the ratio is exactly was irrelevant to my point.

Did some caching in the "burbs"... Out in the open flat areas, 2.70 was a big improvement on my etrex 20. It did stutter and lag behind 20-30 ft as I walked slowly through a muddy area, but didnt lock up completely like before. ( and appeared to recover much better once I got up some speed )

Not sure why I'm still having bad sticky issues in the hills? Will keep testing!

I forgot to say ...

The issue I had yesterday with the compass was fixed by doing a 'Calibrate Compass'. Should I really need to do this after travelling just 2 miles by car?

In the past I've had to do this several times whilst out walking and the previous time I was in almost white out conditions in the mountains - not somewhere where you'd want the gps to be 180 degrees out!

The problem appears to occur in both compass mode and map mode.

I've wondered if the problem is caused by the way I carry the gps whilst walking - if I'm wearing a rucksack the it's usually clipped horizontally into the shoulder strap at chest height. Sometimes it's just hanging around my neck by the lanyard and swings quite a bit.

I once managed to caused the problem by shaking the device fairly rapidly trying to replicate what might happen if I was running.

I forgot to say ...

The issue I had yesterday with the compass was fixed by doing a 'Calibrate Compass'. Should I really need to do this after travelling just 2 miles by car?

In the past I've had to do this several times whilst out walking and the previous time I was in almost white out conditions in the mountains - not somewhere where you'd want the gps to be 180 degrees out!

Manual said when temp changes, you move a long distance, or change batteries. ( or acts goofy ) ... And needs calibration well away from anything metal or power lines. The first device I owned had a digital compass and was always acting goofy and needed calibration all the time. ( now I avoid them at all cost )

Can you turn off the digital compass in settings? ( I think you can? ). Might be a nice option if it starts to bug you.

I forgot to say ...

Manual said when temp changes, you move a long distance, or change batteries. ( or acts goofy ) ... And needs calibration well away from anything metal or power lines. The first device I owned had a digital compass and was always acting goofy and needed calibration all the time. ( now I avoid them at all cost )

Can you turn off the digital compass in settings? ( I think you can? ). Might be a nice option if it starts to bug you.

Yes, I've just found that you can (on Compass screen select 'Setup heading' and set Compass to Off). This seems unfortunate but I'll just have to cope. I'll contact Garmin and see if they have anything to say about it

In keeping with what most have experienced here as sticky gps, I installed the v2.7 firmware on my Etrex 20. Today as I was caching I was walking at a brisk pace and saw that the gps was counting down as it should have been. I came to a complete stop, sat on a bench for about a minute, and then started out again only this time I was taking small, slow, steps. Way less then a 3 mph pace, probably more on the scale of 1 mph or less. The trusty 20 was counting down just like it should have been.

The next step was to speed up and then slow down, without stopping, and see what happened. Again the 20 operated as it should have.

For me, I'm thinking that v2.7 may have solved some of the sticky problem. Now how it works for anyone else......... :rolleyes:

Notice that throughout the video the distance does increase/decrease as expected, so this doesn't appear to be the sticky issue.

Any comments?

Compass on my new 30 is pretty much cr@p. It seems to become thrown off 180 degrees and require recalibration by just putting it close to other electrical devices briefly, swapping batteries, or being close to a vehicle. It works well just after calibration but you can't have a full time job as an eTrex compass calibrator.

Think I'll just turn it off- the extra $70 was justifiable for me anyway over the 20 because of the ANT+ and barometer capabilities.

In keeping with what most have experienced here as sticky gps, I installed the v2.7 firmware on my Etrex 20. Today as I was caching I was walking at a brisk pace and saw that the gps was counting down as it should have been. I came to a complete stop, sat on a bench for about a minute, and then started out again only this time I was taking small, slow, steps. Way less then a 3 mph pace, probably more on the scale of 1 mph or less. The trusty 20 was counting down just like it should have been.

The next step was to speed up and then slow down, without stopping, and see what happened. Again the 20 operated as it should have.

For me, I'm thinking that v2.7 may have solved some of the sticky problem. Now how it works for anyone else......... :rolleyes:

I can say for sure YET. I will say I went out, for my 2/29/12 cache. Mine "seemed better" than a week ago. BUT I was basically in an open area today. Unlike last week where I was under a canopy ........

Edited by Davequal