eTrex 30 - slow landmark/POI search

tr_s

My new etrex 30, f/w 2.60, is incredibly slow at finding nearby landmarks and POIs.

2 minutes typical if I choose to find all nearest POIs on a terrain map, before a list displays at all (there is a loooong wait at the please wait "rotating circle" screen).

My old blue Legend '2005 does not show this behavior but finds nearby landmarks IMMEDIATELY. Therefore it must be what I'd call a bug?

Do you U.S. topo map users have the same problem?

Edited by tr_s

Mine finds POIs immediately.

Upgrading to 2.70 and doing a hard reset did not solve the problem. It still chugs for over a minute on Worldmap v4.

I suspect in the tech industry compatibility is no longer tested against two year old products. Sigh.

Are your maps new or recently released, Redwoods Mtn Biker?

Confirmed now - tried uploading only a new map product (produced 2012) to the GPS and searches are instant.

So I guess the databases in old products have an indexing which does not play well with the new etrex series.

Buyer beware if you have old products you want to use with your GPS and still want them to be searchable!

My new etrex 30, f/w 2.60, is incredibly slow at finding nearby landmarks and POIs.

2 minutes typical if I choose to find all nearest POIs on a terrain map, before a list displays at all (there is a loooong wait at the please wait "rotating circle" screen).

Do you U.S. topo map users have the same problem?

Try waiting 20 minutes to get a POI pulled up. I am quite unhappy with this new Etrex 30. Everything takes FOREVER to do. I spent a lot of money on maps and I can't even view them on the computer unless the GPS is hooked to it and it takes FOREVER for them to load. All of my maps but one are disabled. Grrr.

It took 10 minutes to do a spell search for a POI and when it finally pulled up the option and I pressed "Done" it took another 10-15 minutes to get to the next screen. I literally arrived at my destination before the GPS pulled up routing info. New GPS, New Maps.