New to this fun

Olric

Well I happened upon this site while searching other stuff and now this site has sparked in interest in me. I am thinking this could be fun for myself my wife and kids and the dog. So here is the info I am looking for. What is a all right GPS to buy just to start out with. Do nmot have a lot of money so the cheaper price wise the better. Also I have coins form all over the world would that be something you would put in as a trade for something you may want to take out. Also when you guys are doing this do you ever come across sites where there are old bottles and glass etc as i love that kinda stuff as well.

Thanks for any info on what i need to get started.

PS thanks again

If you have a smart phone, you can get a geocaching app for it. They are not always as accurate as you expect, but with practice many folks have used them successfully.

As fa as trade items, I am afraid you will be a bit disappointed overall. Most of the better stuff are remnants of a kitchen junk drawer or the bottom of a kids toy chest. But don't let that stop you... there are treasures to be had by the places this games takes you and the new friends you meet.

Regarding the trades/swaps/swag items, yes, your foreign coins would be acceptable for that.

Most swag stuff you'll find (if you find any!) is geared towards children/youngsters: Small plastic games/animals, toy cars, keyrings, badges, glass marbles. Many cachers don't bother with the whole swapping/trading thing but we try and drop something into each cache we find just for fun. Some cachers make their own nice little signature items which they drop off in caches.

MrsB :)

Depends if you want to go paperless or not. I started out with a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx which had nothing more than the cache coordinates. If I wanted the description/hint/recent logs, I had to print out the information before going out. I've since purchased a Garmin Oregon 550t which uploads all that information so I don't have to print anything out ahead of time. I'm only limited to those caches I've loaded. I also use the geocaching app on my phone.

Not that I'm endorsing the Geocaching website in anyway, but with a premium membership, you can do pocket queries which allows you to upload 500 caches at once. Sure beats uploading caches one at a time.

Check out the GPS Garage Sale in forums. Typically have a good buy here and there.