Archived Caches

Hi all,

I've been geocaching for nearly eight months now and both myself and my children are thoroughly enjoying the new hobby. We're averaging about fifty finds a month and I really can't believe how much I've learnt about history, geography, even geology whilst doing it.

Anyway, I digress. A well respected local cacher is moving away soon and he put a note on all of his "owned" cache logs saying he planned to archive them. This interested me because they're all local to me so I took on thirty of them. He's been brilliant in helping me to adopt his caches and very friendly too.

My question. He archived two caches last year that I'd like to reintroduce pretty soon. Both caches were missing and/or broken and I'm happy to re-do them as they are part of a 24-part series and my OCD-like tendencies mean I like a complete series. :laughing:

He has tried to get them "un-archived" but can't seem to do it. I can't see either and as I'm not yet the owne, probably haven't got the permission anyway. Is there a quick way round doing this or am I going to have to start from scratch and just use the exact coordinates as before?

I've asked Groundspeak via email but haven't yet got a reply (only sent yesterday).

Given how long they've been archived, you're almost certainly going to have to relist them as new caches in the same location as the old ones. Just copy the cache info across from the archived pages and submit the caches. So long as it's not become an SSSI or otherwise blocked, you shouldn't have too many problems. Good luck :)

Edited by Simply Paul

Since you know who the owner is you should be able to view his profile.

Search the list of his published caches and select the ones you need.

As long as you know the cache name or cache code or can access as above you should be able to view archived caches.

It gets more difficult if you know any less detail.

Retracted caches cannot be viewed by members. :D

Help Center:

6.13. Permanent Removal: Archiving a Cache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=56

6.14. Unarchiving a Cache:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=70

My understanding is that an archived cache can not be unarchived for the sole purpose of adoption.

If it's archived, then just submit a new cache listing, using the exact coordinates as the archived cache if you want. Immediately upon the archival, that location was open for a new cache placement.

However, be mindful of the fact that the new submission will need to go through the review process.

Which brings us to the Guidelines:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=11

Blimey that was quick, thanks for all the replies chaps.

Malpas - I've followed your suggestion so far and got thirty caches from him but two more have been archived and only appear in his cache logs and not on the maps hence my question.

I'll sit down with a coffee and a digestive biscuit tomorrow and sort it out but in the meantime, many thanks.

Blimey that was quick, thanks for all the replies chaps.

Malpas - I've followed your suggestion so far and got thirty caches from him but two more have been archived and only appear in his cache logs and not on the maps hence my question.

I'll sit down with a coffee and a digestive biscuit tomorrow and sort it out but in the meantime, many thanks.

Archived caches .gpx files can be downloaded from the cache page.

Provided you can find the owner, or a finder, in order to find the cache!

If you have GSAK version 8, the new Groundspeak API allows you to get caches by owner...