No longer possible to input comments in HTML code?

ds8300

At the end of January I prepared a new puzzle cache where the clues were hidden on the cache page in the form of comments with the syntax <!--//-->. The code was accepted and the page rendered correctly. Yesterday, I checked the page in readiness for releasing the cache. All the comments had been stripped from the HTML code and I cannot re-enter them. Why?

This is the code for what it's worth. No big deal or damaging in any way that I can imagine.

This mystery cache will require you to see things from different perspectives. Don't go to the posted coordinates, unless you just feel like going for a nice walk.

<p>Perspective can mean many things. Visual perspective can be thought of as the way things appear based on spatial attributes, dimensions, and their positions relative to the eye of the viewer. Train tracks disappearing towards the horizon are often used as an example of linear perspective.

Aerial perspective is the way an object looks when it is seen through the atmosphere. Books and films tell stories from first-person, third-person, and/or other character perspectives.

People often talk about “having perspective on things” when talking about wisdom that comes with age.

Having perspective means having the ability to see things in different ways, where “see” could be physically seeing something, but might not be, and “things” might be physical things, but might not be.</p>

<p>This cache will test your ability to see things in different ways.</p>

<!--•<br>•<br>•<br>•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4"><p><br></p><hr size="4"><p><br></p>•<br>

<hr size="4"><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4"><hr size="4"><hr size="4">•<br>•<br>•<br><p><br></p>

<hr size="4">•<br>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p>

<hr size="4"><p><br></p>•<br>•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br><hr size="4"><hr size="4">

<p><br></p>•<br>•<br><hr size="4"><p><br></p>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p>•<br><hr size="4">•<br>•<br>

<p><br></p>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><hr size="4">•<br><hr size="4"><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br><hr size="4">•<br>

<p><br></p><hr size="4"><hr size="4"><hr size="4"><p><br></p><hr size="4"><hr size="4"><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br>•<br><hr size="4">•<br>

<p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p><hr size="4">•<br><p><br>

</p><hr size="4"><hr size="4">•<br>•<br><p><br></p>•<br>•<br><hr size="4"><p><br></p>•<br>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br>

</p>•<br><hr size="4">•<br><p><br></p>//-->

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that there is a problem to keep HTML tags in the comments. I have seen other caches that DO have HTML code in comments but they were published before the new version of the site and presumably are not affected. The use of the HTML tags <br> and <p> were an integral part of the clue to the cache so I will have to find an alternative. Any tips will be appreciated. ds8300

Thanks for the feedback. It seems that there is a problem to keep HTML tags in the comments. I have seen other caches that DO have HTML code in comments but they were published before the new version of the site and presumably are not affected. The use of the HTML tags <br> and <p> were an integral part of the clue to the cache so I will have to find an alternative. Any tips will be appreciated. ds8300

Well, it isn't a 'problem' as such that HTML tags don't work in 'comments', it's because the whole idea of comments in any programming code is so that notes can be added which will be entirely ignored by the parsing of the code.