canine cachers

Ant89

this person needs to take up caching full time, his dog enjoys it

I have never understood geocaching myself but Midge (dog) seems to enjoy it.

He has found them occasionally when out walking but they seem to have increased in number especially around home

Recently people have been leaving geocaches in the countryside around us and Midge has become hooked on finding them. He dissapears on the scent of them and has found 4 within a couple of miles of home in the last couple of weeks. On one occasion I have to admit he brought it to me so I do't really know where he got it from (sorry geocachers) :-[. I put it back where I thought it came from.

On Saturday he found a fiendishly difficult one. We walked past a stand of hundreds of newly planted trees and Midge was paying a lot of interest in one plastic tree guard. I called him away cos he looked like he was going to pull it out of the ground. When we returned past it he went straight to the tree guard again asking me to help him. I looked inside and in there was a geocach stuffed into a dog toy, stuffed into the top of the tree guard. So if you find a geocache in the wrong place or if it has collie toothprints in it you know Midge and I were there.

then again maybe they need to take up caching just to be sure of putting them back in the right place!

I had a dog find 2 of my caches, it had been taught to track and found it a wonderful game, luckily the owner who had no idea where to replace them contacted grounspeak and they in turn contacted me, put us in touch with each other and I got the caches back. I'm sure that story is on here somewhere about a year ago.

Our Golden Retriever has been out with us caching on many occasions and despite plenty of encouragement has never assisted in the search in any way. We even tried giving him a good scent of the first cache in a series hoping that he would then sniff the others out. Still no luck.

Then, when we were doing some maintenance on our own series we replaced one of the caches which was now camo'd with a large piece of bark (excuse the pun) attached to it. We started walking along the path only to find him trotting along next to us with the cache in his mouth. We tried again but twice more he kept sprinting back and recovering it from the undergrowth. In the end we had to put him back in the car whilst we hid it and drove to the next cache.

It would appear he will only retrieve caches that already have our scent on them. The irony!!

Oh, I wish my dog was that helpful - we did think about training her to sniff out tupperware, but decided she would spend far too much time in the kitchen, staring at the cupboards :) She makes caching harder, as she doesn't understand the need for stealth and whines really, really loudly when we stop walking and start searching.