Do you carry self protection ?

OZ2CPU

Here in Belgium we aren't even allowed to carry anything! Not even a pepperspray or a pocket knife are allowed here. Nothing.

That won't say that I carry neither of those things, but if they (police) catch me with my pocket knife I can be booked for carrying a concealed weapon.

I do understand it, it's the law around here. But not even a pepperspray???

Edited by RHCV

Here in Belgium we aren't even allowed to carry anything! Not even a pepperspray or a pocket knife are allowed here. Nothing.

That won't say that I carry neither of those things, but if they (police) catch me with my pocket knife I can be booked for carrying a concealed weapon.

I do understand it, it's the law around here. But not even a pepperspray???

When only Police are allowed to have weapons it's called a Police State. There is no valid reason to denigh a Law abiding citizen the right to be armed unless it is to enslave them. :ph34r: God bless Americia. :D

Edit to add: I own a few nice shotguns made in Belgium, and a Browning rifle that was made there but assembled in Portugal. What's up with that? :blink:

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

When only Police are allowed to have weapons it's called a Police State. There is no valid reason to denigh a Law abiding citizen the right to be armed unless it is to enslave them. :ph34r: God bless Americia. :D

Edit to add: I own a few nice shotguns made in Belgium, and a Browning rifle that was made there but assembled in Portugal. What's up with that? :blink:

That's because here in Belgium we have one of the biggest distributers of weaponry: FN Herstal

That's because here in Belgium we have one of the biggest distributers of weaponry: FN Herstal

Yeah, FN Herstal also has a factory here in the States in Coulmbia, South Carolina. They supply our Military with the SAW M249's. :ph34r:

Participants in the discussion are reminded to stay on-topic to "self protection while geocaching." General discussions of weapons belongs in the Off Topic forum or in a Guns forum. Thank you.

Okay ... said what I said before ... now back to topic ...

I could only wish to may have the right to wear one of those fine weaponry pieces. But I also should be glad knowing that we could carry some pepperspray. Just in case.

I already had an encounter with a nasty big vicious dog and shouldn't have know what to do if he really would have attacked me. With a pepperspray it's easy ... pssssssss ... job done. :anitongue:

Participants in the discussion are reminded to stay on-topic to "self protection while geocaching." General discussions of weapons belongs in the Off Topic forum or in a Guns forum. Thank you.

Okay ... said what I said before ... now back to topic ...

I could only wish to may have the right to wear one of those fine weaponry pieces. But I also should be glad knowing that we could carry some pepperspray. Just in case.

I already had an encounter with a nasty big vicious dog and shouldn't have know what to do if he really would have attacked me. With a pepperspray it's easy ... pssssssss ... job done. :anitongue:

Or ....quite likely.... a "nasty big vicious dog" that is really, really psssssssssssssss'ed off.

did anyone actually repport ANY real life incident

where a weapon of any sort was used to protect them self, a friend or a family member,

while on a geocaching trip ?

Nope, other than scare 'em off shots regarding animals.

But then too, remember that any who may have used a weapon as such probably would be wise to not post same on a public forum.

That kind of info letting never dies.

YaknowwhatImean?

where a weapon of any sort was used to protect them self, a friend or a family member,

A close friend was caching alone in our area early on a Saturday morning. Exited the interstate on the way to a cache. Near the bottom of the ramp, encountered a scraggly dude holding a "Work for food" sign...payed him no mind and rolled to a stop at the bottom of the ramp. While friend was waiting on a series of oncoming cars in order to turn left, 'sign dude' walks backin front of the car, wigglin and wavin the sign as if to garner attention. Ignoring him still, friend looks back at upstream traffic. A movement catches my friends eye, and he turns and looks back further over his R shoulder to see another previously unseen scraggly fellar only a few feet from his car, walking toward it with his hand extended reaching for the door handle to the passenger side rear door. Friend instinctively reaches for his .45 Springer and lets scraggly fellar stare down the business end, at which point scraggly fellar hastily beats a path back into the bushes from whence he came. Friend glanced back to the front where sign dude had been: he too had mysteriously disappeared, perhaps to meet up with scraggly fellar at the nearest dry cleaners.

OZ2CPU - find the whole topic very interesting,as long as it is keept at a decent level. I dont think it is cool to carry and let it show, even if it is legal or not, I dont understand the concealed idea or special law about a hidden gun ? the whole idea is to have it with you always, stored in a safe way, out of the way, locked in a way so you or your kids dont pull the trigger by accident, and it must not be lost or dropped. The more guns you carry, the higher risk one is dumb or unlucky,

but compared to all the others who actually feel more safe, I think it is worth it.

Out of curiousity, what country do you live in?

I open/conceal carry, except where it's restricted by law, because I can. I prefer conceal carry but in the summer you'd look awfully funny wearing a jacket unless it's cold and rainy that day. South Dakota requires a concealed weapons license to carry a concealed gun in your vehicle or on your person, but you don't need a license to open carry. If you're out in the middle of the Black Hills or out in the open prairie somewhere, you can't always depend on local law enforcement being able to get to you in time.

My daughter has been told since she was tiny that guns are not toys, must be respected and treated at all times as if they are loaded. Never put your finger on the trigger unless you plan on pulling the trigger. Use common sense when handling guns. I have a trigger lock for my guns that I use when traveling to states that don't accept my SD CCW.

To get back on topic: I also carry two pocket knives, one in my pocket and the other is part of a multi-tool that I have in my gun holster.

Edited by Notmykl

Would pistol whipping one of two large unleashed dogs in a public park that was attempting to attack my family and our Dachsund count? We were near a multi cache that I had already logged, but not really geocaching at the time. I saw the same two dogs nipping at another family weeks later. I never got the police involved. My son and I were also confronted by a group of "Hood Rats" on the same bike trail that we have listings on that wanted my bike. I told them they would have to take it and pulled a expandable police baton, they saw I also had a holstered handgun. They were blocking a bridge but quickly retreated back down a trail to their getto. Some people carry pepper spray when they bike, I prefer a can of wasp spray that reaches 20 feet. :laughing:

did anyone actually repport ANY real life incident where a weapon of any sort was used to protect them self, a friend or a family member, while on a geocaching trip ?

Many, many times. Though the "weapon" I used in each of these encounters was my trusty hiking staff. (Yes, a staff is a weapon) I've convinced all manner of critter, to include venomous snakes, alligators, wild hogs, black bears, coyotes and feral cattle that I was Option A and they should pick Option B. In each of these encounters, neither me nor the critter were injured. The most common deployment method has been to plant my staff in a Gandalfish stance, in such a manner that whatever hazardous body parts they have can't reach whatever delicate parts I have. At that point, almost all the critters have walked/slithered/crawled away. A few had to be given a gentle poke, as they decided to continue their advance toward me. And a few had to be physically moved off the trail.