Full cache logs...

GeoCacheKat

This may sound silly, but when I scrawl my signature into a log, it is my way of saying "thank you" to the person/s for creating the Geocache which has given me the opportunity for exploration and discovery; both things that I love! (Ok, I only have two actual finds logged, but hey... I am really loving this!)

As you can tell I am a rather sentimental indiviual, but it's hard for me to imagine that I am the only person that feels this way... even slightly. And being the sentimental type, I can see myself keeping the full cache logs (at least for a little while) because of the signatures contained within and what those signatures could represent.

So.... here is my question... what do you do with the full cache logs from YOUR geocache/s?

Edited by GeoCacheKat

This may sound silly, but when I scrawl my signature into a log, it is my way of saying "thank you" to the person/s for creating the Geocache which has given me the opportunity for exploration and discovery; both things that I love! (Ok, I only have two actual finds logged, but hey... I am really loving this!)

As you can tell I am a rather sentimental indiviual, but it's hard for me to imagine that I am the only person that feels this way... even slightly. And being the sentimental type, I can see myself keeping the full cache logs (at least for a little while) because of the signatures contained within and what those signatures could represent.

So.... here is my question... what do you do with the full cache logs from YOUR geocache/s?

With any luck at all I never see the full logs. Kind, prepared cachers often replace full logs and it is my preference that they toss the trash. That's what I do when I perform maintenance on my own caches.

I can see myself keeping the full cache logs (at least for a little while) because of the signatures contained within and what those signatures could represent.

So.... here is my question... what do you do with the full cache logs from YOUR geocaches?

The logbook is defiantly part of a connection with our community, but honestly unless it gives more than just a signature I don't find it that much of a connection worth keeping.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I always read through mine when I preform maintenance or stop by to check on them. When I first started people were still actually writing things in the log books and it was nice to read about their experiences. Anymore, 95% of what's in the log book is just a signature and date, so of the ones I've actually had to replace, I just toss them.

Some people keep them as a way of proving the legitimacy of the online logs. I personally could care less about that but I do like to count signatures. I've found that my caches all have about 20% more finds according to the log book than actually logged online. Interestingly enough, I stopped by one of my most popular caches yesterday and even though the log book was only half full, it was falling apart from excessive handling so I decided to replace it. The cache has 98 finds logged online but I counted 138 separate finds in the book, a whopping 29% more! I enjoyed reading it but it's sitting in my kitchen trash can as I type. Hanging on to a bunch of loose pages doesn't really add anything to what I have already gotten out cache owner experience, but for others it might.

Edited by Mushroom finder

When I adopted some caches I scanned the pages of the logbook and uploaded them to the cache page. It was my way of keeping the continuity of the cache going.

For my regular caches I usually put a large enough book in that it doesn't need replacing very often -- I can't recall the last logbook I replaced. For my micros I usually just toss 'em in the recycle bin since they are just names and dates.

For me our logbooks are souvenirs. I keep them. I read through them when I collect them from our cache hides. I really appreciate it when folks leave a comment in the logbooks. About 1/4 of the finders leave a comment.

Some of our old logbooks:

5943220560_a6214892a6.jpg

For me our logbooks are souvenirs. I keep them. I read through them when I collect them from our cache hides. I really appreciate it when folks leave a comment in the logbooks. About 1/4 of the finders leave a comment.

Some of our old logbooks:

5943220560_a6214892a6.jpg

Oohhh! Thanks for leaving the picture of past logs. Knowing that cache owners seem to enjoy it when people leave notes, I think I will try to leave a little something more than swag and my name/date.

Thank you all for answering.

If the logbook is a piece of paper full of about 50 or so signatures and no room for comments then Ill read through it then throw it away, however if the logbook is an actual small notebook with room to leave comments then I will probably keep it if there are some nice comments. I have been building my next geocache over the past week or so and bought a 2 dollar small notebook and would like to keep it once it is full seeing as the book is pretty nice! (hardcover) I don't have that many geocaches of my own but I have been planning some good ones for this spring/summer!

-Cheers