Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tommrz

eTrex Legend serial to usb MAC

I have a pretty dated eTrex Legend, the one with the blue case. It came with a serial cable which I have been using to send caches to the device via an old dell laptop. This laptop has finally died. I have a MacBook running OSX 10.6.8. Obviously I have no serial ports on this Mac. I bought a cable on ebay that claimed to be able to bridge the gap. So far, it has not. The Legend is not detected after installing Garmins Communicator plugin V4. Am I out of luck here or has anyone out there pulled this off?

Those cables are a bit picky on pcs and require a specific software driver that will assign a com port to the usb cable crossover - even then - sometimes one pc works and another does not. I do not think you will have much luck on the MAC.

When I was still using my Legend, I had the exact same setup with a USB to serial adaptor. As StarBrand said, you'll need a driver for the adaptor, but then it should work fine. I also used this with VirtualPC so I could sync with GSAK and had no problem.

I think you just need to Google the manufacturer of your adaptor and see what software they have available.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I am out of luck. The cable I bought was from ebay and although it is new it appears to have been manufactured on the cheap. There were no drivers or documentation provided, just a "Made In China" sticker.

I have Parallels running Windows XP Pro on my MacBook and it doesn't recognize the Legend either. Looks like I am going to have to upgrade from my trusty old blue to a new GPSr or use my iPhone.

Looks like a topic for another post!!!