Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak

Crystallographer

I just recently downloaded EasyGPS and then tried to use the "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" to download info from a geocache. When I do I get the message "The file you have selected cannot be opened with EasyGPS. Please visit http://www.topografix.com for information on our other products." I have tried this using computers working under WindowsME, Windows2000, and WindowsXP with the same results. My son, who uses Windows98, says it works fine for him. I have EasyGPS 1.2.2, which I understand is the latest version. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve it? I've E-mailed the EasyGPS folks, but so far, no response. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing that this has something to do with the way you are downloading the file. Have you opened the file with notepad to see if it looks like it is formatted correctly? Is the extension of the file .loc?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I just clicked on "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" near the top of the cache page and then choose EasyGPS.exe to open the file when the dialogue box popped up. When I hit OK on the dialogue box is when I got the message that EasyGPS couldn't open the file. The dialogue box heading is "Downloading geocaching.loc.asp".

quote:
Originally posted by Crystallographer:

I just clicked on "Download to EasyGPS for Groundspeak" near the top of the cache page and then choose EasyGPS.exe to open the file when the dialogue box popped up. When I hit OK on the dialogue box is when I got the message that EasyGPS couldn't open the file. The dialogue box heading is "Downloading geocaching.loc.asp".

You need to remove the ".asp".

3608_1400.gif

Getting rid of the .asp permanently is not too hard. You are probably using Netscape or Mozilla; to get rid of it, when the dialog comes up after clicking on it, select "Advanced" and delete the .asp extension. From then on, it will just come as geocaching.loc, and you can send it directly to EasyGPS.

EasyGPS is not exactly an impressive piece of software. I'd recommend using GPSBabel or something like that to convert the file to something that a more useful program can read. A lot of people like ExpertGPS, but I think it is too expensive by a factor of about 2 for what you get. I use g7towin, which is free and allows quite sophisticated waypoint management, including uploading and downloading from the GPS.

Thank you all for your help, especially fizzymagic who gave me an idea on how to remove the asp extender. Unfortunately clicking Advanced brings up a box that allows me to change the program that opens the file (i.e. EasyGPS), but it doesn't allow me to change the name of the file that is being opened (i.e. the geocaching.loc.asp). So I downloaded the file to my hard drive and then removed the asp extender. Then, as you all have suggested, EasyGPS opens the file OK. This is rather inconvenient, however, to have to do this all the time. Fizzymagic is correct that I am using Netscape. So I tried IE and (after asking me 2 or 3 times whether I wanted to download or open the file) it sent it to EasyGPS with the asp removed. So I could use IE all the time, I guess, but I would sure like to know some way to get a direct opening of the file to EasyGPS through Netscape, if possible. Any more ideas, fizzymagic? Or from anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Orygun-Connie:

Having the same problem all of you are having with the downloading files. Emailed EasyGPS and their reply was: go to geocaching.com andd generate a geocaching.loc. file; and ask on the forum for support. This did not help me at all-I haven't the foggist what they are talking about- help

It's really a browser problem. It's not properly handling the filename parameter of the Content-Disposition header.

Addendum - I did a debug on this, and figured out what was wrong. I use Mozilla, not Netscape, but had the same problem. I figured out how to fix this in Mozilla. I'll download a copy of Netscape, and see what the procedure is there, then post the results.

3608_2800.gif3608_2600.gif3608_2700.gif

[This message was edited by Prime Suspect on January 26, 2003 at 07:51 PM.]

Prime Suspect, you are the man!! Your fix works perfectly, so now I can download waypoints into EasyGPS from Netscape 7.0 (I really don't like to use IE if I can help it) to my hearts content. Thanks very much for your help. The folks at geocaching.com and/or EasyGPS ought to post your fix on their web sites so everyone can benefit from it.