Verify before being able to use site?

kevin917z

i have noticed lately that people have been having entire caches, parts of caches, travel bugs, etc stolen or destroyed, i have also seen people complaing about people breaking rules and not trading fairly also.

What would happen if coordinates of the caches and other features of the site were not able to be viewed without some kind of verification. By this i mean send a letter or postcard(cheaper) with a verification code to the address of the person and then let them verify across the site. Or verify your age with a credit card. this way it would be more difficult for GEOROBBERS to prosper. What would postage be for a non profit group? these cards could be a kind of congratulations you'r an official geocaching member etc. This could possibly stop people from going to the local library and making a throw away hotmail account to use with geocaching.com so that they can steal caches, only to make a new account a few days later.

i know this would probably be difficult to do but it would be worth it to stop cache ROBBERS. What else is there to do to stop them?????? icon_confused.gif

[This message was edited by kevin917z on November 07, 2002 at 08:33 PM.]

You want thousands of people to send in their home addresses, personal info, and credit card numbers so a small number of people might be spared the possible loss of a few bucks' worth of plastic and trinkets?

No, thank you.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

I know people have stated they want access to anyone who may stummble across the site in hopes to get more people into goecaching. My thought is needing to be logged on for the coordinates to show. Then goecaching.com could send an email with a varification code that needs to be entered when logging on for the first time. May other sites do this and a least the person would have to give a valid email address.

I know it won't stop someone really interested in messing with caches, but maybe deter the passing-by surfer.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

Let's see...

Cachew Nut first suggested it in the thread, login to see coordinates, then BrianSnat picked it up first in Looters! and then in Hide Cache Coordinates Option.

I've already stated my opinion before (much to Cachew Nut's chagrin). I seriously doubt that hiding the coordinates from all but registered users will in ANY way affect looters. The benefit vs. the negative impact weighs down far too hard on the negative impact on the site, and is (IMO) too much of a bother to impliment. Cachew Nut disagrees vehemently. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Quite frankly it's far too easy for someone to download all of the caches in a 100 mile radius before his rampage. There would be no way to stop him then. The only caches he wouldn't have access to are the new ones.

True, you can shut his gloating down, but that wouldn't stop the plundering of caches.

Then, what about those other sites that link directly in geocaching.com? ...or possibly sites that mine whole cache pages?

No, this hobby is about putting out personal property where the majority of the time it is at the mercy of whoever comes along.

It's a situation where you just have to put up with the idiots.

...or wait in the bushes for them to come along, and then jump on them and beat them senseless with your "spider stick!" icon_wink.gif

CR

72057_2000.gif

I just dont like people plundering and not trading fairly from my cache, thats why i would like to see a person have to log in to view coordinates at least

i placed many 10 dollar items in my one cache only to have people trade unfairly and not log visits, all future caches of mine will be charter member only caches

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

I've already stated my opinion before (much to Cachew Nut's chagrin). I seriously doubt that hiding the coordinates from all but registered users will in ANY way affect looters. The benefit vs. the negative impact weighs down far too hard on the negative impact on the site, and is (IMO) too much of a bother to impliment. Cachew Nut disagrees vehemently. icon_wink.gif

My disappointment with your opinion had less to do with what you thought the impact would be, as much as your automatic assumption, without ever searching for any of my caches, that they were not hidden well enough. You may be right about the impact, but you may also be wrong. Just because you have doubts about the affect doesn't automatically make you right.

Also, I disagree that it would be too much of a bother to implement. It's probably as easy as setting a few flags in the software, and the code probably exists already, it just needs to be switched on. Probably easier to code than those dadgum carbon copy emails you wanted, that now I have to receive, if you want an example of negative impact! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

... It's probably as easy as setting a few flags in the software, and the code probably exists already, it just needs to be switched on. Probably easier to code than those dadgum carbon copy emails you wanted, that now I have to receive, if you want an example of negative impact! icon_smile.gif

That's interesting. I think the "carbon copy" is probably the most useful feature implemented in quite a while.

I find it much faster and easier deleting unopened any "carbon copies" I don't want than going through the old process of cutting/pasting/naming/saving any e-mails I wanted/needed to keep a record of having sent through the website.

Yep, I think it's a real timesaver with a positive impact.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

I'd have to question the impact also. When I come to geocaching.com, I'm automatically logged in. This could be the same way so that once you do it that's it. It would not change the way you work on the website at all.

That's exactly right, you are logged in as a registered user because at one time you chose to accept the cookie. If you delete your cookies, you will see that the next time you want to do something as a registered user, (view your cache page, etc.) you will need to log in again and by checking the checkboxes you will again be remembered on the site and in the forums. Because of this, you would notice absolutely no difference, and the coordinates would be visible to you.