Anticipating a new PQ

MuskokaGuy

I am doing research for my next PQ which will be down the road in the distant future. I am just ensuring it all goes smoothly and that I am not obtaining information that I've already gotten.

My initial PQ was 500 caches centered around my home location with a radius of 100 miles. I was surprised to see that the last cache in my list was roughly (only) 40 miles away, meaning that there are considerably more to come when I run my next query. I am using GSAK to manage my PQ data. How would I go about querying those caches that are "beyond" that 40 miles (not to exceed the 100 mile radius) without duplicating those caches I have already obtained?

There is a lot to learn, and my interest is piqued. I appreciate any leads or suggestions from the forum.

Thanks.

Avoid duplicating already found caches by checking the box "I haven't found".

Doing that, DO NOT check the box "I have found". Your results would = "0".

EDIT: I mis-read the Q. Sorry.

My response to the actual question, is that you should keep in mind that old or "stale" information is next to useless. If you are repeating in the same or near area, you probably should dump the old Pocket Query and simply run a new one. Many set up auto Queries to run weekly.

New caches are placed, other caches are disabled and archived constantly.

It does one no good to look for a cache that isn't there (old info) and miss the new one that is thereabouts 150 ft. away (new info)!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Thanks Totem Clan & tozainamboku for your very prompt responses.

In trying to keep it "simple" as I am new, I thought would take Totem's advice and just run another query, thought reminding me tozainamboku that filtering is what using GSAK is all about.

Wow, I am amazed at the number of caches in my area. The latest PQ resulted in the furthest cache at now only 54 miles away. Not that I'm complaining mind you with the cost of gas these days! :-)

Appreciate the help!

The ability to edit a post can save our tail at times. :}>

I considered the issue of stale/ archived caches, I thank you for reiterating that possibility on my behalf. That was my first consideration when I initiated my PQ for "only" 500 caches. I felt that to obtain 1000 caches would be more than I could possibly want. With changes to the database inevitably occurring, I ask is there a means to have GSAK run a "diff" process which would only updated changes in the original run of the 1000 I now have? Those caches which have become archived/changed or added will be updated while leaving those which haven't been updated unchanged.

As I type this, I guess it would just be easier to install the most recent PQ with the same parameters prior to hunting, than go through the trouble of trying to reinvent the wheel by modifying an existing PQ, so to speak.

To ensure I understand the process as a whole, GSAK allows me to manage my waypoints, whereas BaseCamp allows me to map caches that I've found with my tracks, correct? Through investigation I have been lead to believe that MapSource is essentially the same software as BaseCamp, with it's primary focus on trip planning. I also read that MapSource is no longer being developed, in lieu of the introduction of BaseCamp? Confusion sets in at this point, because it conflicts with my previous statement that BaseCamp is used for geocaching, and Mapsource for trip planning. Could someone please clear up my misconception on this subject?

Thanks for your support.

My regular PQ is for the nearest 1000 caches that are not mine, that are enabled, that I haven't found, and are not on my ignore list.

That gives me a 60 to 70 mile 'home' range that I can sort with GSAK. I'll get a differnt PQ for another local if I'm going out of that area. It works well for me.

Those are the settings for my basic home PQ, too. It includes caches within 7.9 miles. I have lost count how many times I have gotten to a trailhead for an unscheduled hike and grabbed the Garmin out of the center console, only to realize the uploaded caches stop just short of those trails.

I considered the issue of stale/ archived caches, I thank you for reiterating that possibility on my behalf. That was my first consideration when I initiated my PQ for "only" 500 caches. I felt that to obtain 1000 caches would be more than I could possibly want. With changes to the database inevitably occurring, I ask is there a means to have GSAK run a "diff" process which would only updated changes in the original run of the 1000 I now have? Those caches which have become archived/changed or added will be updated while leaving those which haven't been updated unchanged.

As I type this, I guess it would just be easier to install the most recent PQ with the same parameters prior to hunting, than go through the trouble of trying to reinvent the wheel by modifying an existing PQ, so to speak.

To ensure I understand the process as a whole, GSAK allows me to manage my waypoints, whereas BaseCamp allows me to map caches that I've found with my tracks, correct? Through investigation I have been lead to believe that MapSource is essentially the same software as BaseCamp, with it's primary focus on trip planning. I also read that MapSource is no longer being developed, in lieu of the introduction of BaseCamp? Confusion sets in at this point, because it conflicts with my previous statement that BaseCamp is used for geocaching, and Mapsource for trip planning. Could someone please clear up my misconception on this subject?

Thanks for your support.

BaseCamp is the successor to MapSource. They both allow you to manage waypoints and maps on your Garmin units. Basecamp has some features not available in the older MapSource (including some geocaching support for certain Garmin units) but some people still prefer the MapSource interface.

GSAK is a third party software. It works with several GPS brands, not just Garmin. It is focused on Geocaching so it has as lot of more tools for geocachers than BaseCamp. For example, I use GSAK to modify the cache description for puzzles that I have solved. It does not support Garmin maps like BaseCamp or perform routing on streets. If you need those features you will use BaseCamp or MapSource.

When you import your GPX files into GSAK you have a lot of options. You can have it start with a clean load or your can have it simple update the records you already have. One option has GSAK set the user flag field for records it updates.

Since the Pocket Query does not contain archived caches, this is what I do. I first clear all user flags. Then I tell GSAK to import my GPX files and update the database. I have GSAK set the user flag for each record in the GPX files. Then I filter the cache that don't have the user flag set. These are the caches that were not in my GPX files. These caches have either been archived or were not include because there were over 1000 caches closer to my center point. I can safely delete these caches from GSAK database as I am not going to look for them.

You can get quite sophisticated in GSAK filtering to find caches that are or are not in your GPX files and be really selective in what you delete that way.

Thanks for your support.

BaseCamp is the successor to MapSource. They both allow you to manage waypoints and maps on your Garmin units. Basecamp has some features not available in the older MapSource (including some geocaching support for certain Garmin units) but some people still prefer the MapSource interface.

GSAK is a third party software. It works with several GPS brands, not just Garmin. It is focused on Geocaching so it has as lot of more tools for geocachers than BaseCamp. For example, I use GSAK to modify the cache description for puzzles that I have solved. It does not support Garmin maps like BaseCamp or perform routing on streets. If you need those features you will use BaseCamp or MapSource.

When you import your GPX files into GSAK you have a lot of options. You can have it start with a clean load or your can have it simple update the records you already have. One option has GSAK set the user flag field for records it updates.

Since the Pocket Query does not contain archived caches, this is what I do. I first clear all user flags. Then I tell GSAK to import my GPX files and update the database. I have GSAK set the user flag for each record in the GPX files. Then I filter the cache that don't have the user flag set. These are the caches that were not in my GPX files. These caches have either been archived or were not include because there were over 1000 caches closer to my center point. I can safely delete these caches from GSAK database as I am not going to look for them.

You can get quite sophisticated in GSAK filtering to find caches that are or are not in your GPX files and be really selective in what you delete that way.

Thanks tozainamboku,

I appreciate the information and taking the time to respond. I do have a considerable amount to learn - your reply was very helpful.

Cheers!