What is GS's long term plan for providing mapping to its customers?

SayahFamily

I did some caching yesterday for the first time since the site update, and have to say that trying to deal with the new map options was definitely a step backward. Rather than adding to the griping, though, I would simply like to request that we get some insight into what the long term strategy is for mapping? Is what we see what we get for the forseeable future? Is there any thought on bringing back the google mapping as an extra "pay for it" service in some manner? Is there another option being considered that has not been openly suggested?

I think most folks are pretty understanding of the situation that led to this. But, for some (like me), the lack of communication from the company is what seems to be most disappointing.

Thanks,

Bob

Have you read this Announcement, including the plan to have an in-house tile server for the Open Street Maps?

Groundspeak/geocaching.com/Keystone...

I have read the anouncment. I DO fully understand that the financial cost of keeping google maps has become and would become even a bigger financial burden to Groundspeak. So I do understand WHY for the time being Groundspeak/geocaching.com has dropped the use of google maps.

Yes there HAS been great improvements to the mapping since geocaching.com first got started. However, Groundspeak/geocaching.com CAN NOT take all the credit for those improvements. Especially since Groundspeak/geocaching.com is using mapping data from 3rd party sources.

The problem with the "Announcement" is that it DOES NOT provide us cachers with any information about the "Future", Just like the OP was asking, stating & requesting.

Groundspeak/geocaching.com understand this. Your cachers.... Paid members & basic. DO NOT LIKE THE NEW CURRENT MAPS! Have you got that? Do you understand that? Seriously Do you? The last 3 events that I went to, since the update has included major discussions about how we can't stand the new maps. Even from cachers who don't use the forums. The general consensus here in Texas is.... lets just say... You all have dropped the ball.

One solution that I have seen on multiple replies. Is that MANY of us would be willing to pay MORE money to cover the cost of having Google maps return! Call it a Premium Gold membership, or a Premium Platinum Membership. This level of paid membership would include google maps. Heck I would be willing to pay an EXTRA $50-$75 a year to have that capability!! SERIOUSLY!

So I think what the OP is asking... NOW that you KNOW that the majority of us cachers HATE the new map system. For various reasons.

What is Groundspeak/geocaching.com going to do about it? Nothing? Something? WHAT? That is what we want to know!

Or do you all even care?

TGC

Edited by texasgrillchef

Every time there has been a change in the maps there has been an outcry that Groundspeak has taken away something that geocachers have come to depend on. Every time there has been a change to the maps there have been legitimate issues with the new maps not performing as well as expected. Yet every time there has been a change in the maps, Groundspeak has worked to address issues and in the long run everyone probably agrees that the mapping solution has improved over the years.

I can remember when Geocaching.com firs added Google maps. There was an outcry. Some people who were using older browsers or were on dial up couldn't see the maps at all. Groundspeak quickly remove the Google maps and restored the older but less capable solution. I remember complaining that they took away the great improvement to satisfy a few people who were using outdated browerss and had slow internet connections. Ultimately a combination of people upgrading their equipment and Groundspeak developers working to understand how to more efficiently code the Google maps, they were reintroduced and were much more successful.

I see the same sorts of things happening here. Groundspeak will find ways to improve the current mapping solution (with or without Google maps). There will be some churn as things initially don't work 100% as we would like, but ultimately they will find ways to make things work.

Every time there has been a change in the maps there has been an outcry that Groundspeak has taken away something that geocachers have come to depend on. Every time there has been a change to the maps there have been legitimate issues with the new maps not performing as well as expected. Yet every time there has been a change in the maps, Groundspeak has worked to address issues and in the long run everyone probably agrees that the mapping solution has improved over the years.

I can remember when Geocaching.com firs added Google maps. There was an outcry. Some people who were using older browsers or were on dial up couldn't see the maps at all. Groundspeak quickly remove the Google maps and restored the older but less capable solution. I remember complaining that they took away the great improvement to satisfy a few people who were using outdated browerss and had slow internet connections. Ultimately a combination of people upgrading their equipment and Groundspeak developers working to understand how to more efficiently code the Google maps, they were reintroduced and were much more successful.

I see the same sorts of things happening here. Groundspeak will find ways to improve the current mapping solution (with or without Google maps). There will be some churn as things initially don't work 100% as we would like, but ultimately they will find ways to make things work.

Absolutely... My complaints about the maps though aren't about the speed at which they are loading, or with the "Buggy" parts of not showing the caches, or toggling of viewing cache types on/off. Those are bugs that CAN be worked out, by the IT staff at GS/GC.com so that it becomes more efficient. Do I like the slowness and bugginess of it now? No of course not. But those aren't really where my personal complaints are about as a whole.

My complaint is with the MAPS themselves... Issues that are BEYOND GS/GC.coms control. The data being received by the 3rd party source.

Examples of this include:

1. OpenSourceMaps.... Poor color/contrast choices of the roads to background. Someone with poor eyesight &/or colour blindness it's very hard to impossible to see/read & understand. The color scheme of it is HORRIBLE! Sadly because GS/GC.com use map tiles, instead of the other map type. GS/GC.com CAN'T change the color scheme of OSM.

2. The photo quality of the Areal Maps is not good at all. There is also limited levels of those maps. You can't zoom in as close. As well as the Areal Maps are OLDER and more outdated. The Areal shot of my home is 3 YEARS OLD! The google view of my home is only just over a year old. The Bing Satalite map, is about 8 months old. With google & Bing, I can actually see the house number painted on my Drive Way clearly and read it. With the areal maps being used by GS/GC.com currently I can not.

3. No Hybrid view in the Areal Maps. I will admit that with both Google & Bing's Hybrid maps, they overlay roads as being roads that are really private drives, and in Texas sometimes are just Dry Creek/River beds, as well as not showing dirt/gravel roads that have been their & being used since 1836 as being roads at all! No Hybrid view of the current Areal Map. So you may see your "Dot" of where your at, but have no clue of where you are or how you got there etc... Unless you go back to street view. Not good at all.

So yes the bugs & the speed will be worked out eventually by the IT staff at GS/GC.com. But that ISN'T all that we are complaining about either.

TGC

p.s.

Mapquest is better than OSM, but even mapquest has issues that I don't like. I don't even use Mapquest anywhere, including the free apps they provide for my iOS devices. Why? because their are better ones you can use on your computer &/or iOS device when it comes to needing a map for soemthing other than geocaching.

Edited by texasgrillchef

Have you read this Announcement, including the plan to have an in-house tile server for the Open Street Maps?

Yes, I had read that. I see a lot of info about the present, but not much about the future, other than "We also intend to build out our own tile server in the future which will speed up the loading of map tiles enormously." which definitely sounds like it would be a help, since that seems to be one of the big issues.

I conclude then, that the google maps coming back in any form (even at an additional cost only for those willing to pay for it) is simply not being considered.

Yes, I had read that. I see a lot of info about the present, but not much about the future, other than "We also intend to build out our own tile server in the future which will speed up the loading of map tiles enormously." which definitely sounds like it would be a help, since that seems to be one of the big issues.

I conclude then, that the google maps coming back in any form (even at an additional cost only for those willing to pay for it) is simply not being considered.

My feeling is that not only is it not being considered, but the carcass has been hauled out and buried.

I am not happy with the loss of satellite coverage up here in Canada and that is being covered in another forum thread. What I would like to know is with the ability to view a PQ and other caches at the same time be returned. By removing this ability, the value of the map has gone down for me. This was a great feature for finding adding caches to a bookmark list that were not on the book mark list.

im sure they know that this solution is not the best. im also sure they have seen the 8 million threads about how these maps suck. but having something is better than nothing. so for now im fine with waiting.

my only concern is that they might stop using google maps on the Iphone app. that's what i use for all my caching and if they did change it it would suck, but again anything would be better than nothing.

over one year in BETA state with pretty much no improvements/changes is your idea of "addressing the issue"?

over one year in BETA state with pretty much no improvements/changes is your idea of "addressing the issue"?

Well, they did fix the beta map issue, now didn't they.

Well, they did fix the beta map issue, now didn't they.

no kidding eh? :anibad:

Groundspeak has received a lot of feedback from the geocaching community regarding the recent changes to our maps, including recent improvements to our Pocket Query/Map integration. We understand that the change in maps was not ideal for many customers who were used to seeing Google maps on geocaching.com.

Please understand that we are committed to delivering exceptional functionality, including high quality maps. We are continuing to analyze available options for mapping while also actively working with MapQuest to improve the current functionality and service.

I'm more disappointed with Google than with Groundspeak. Given the situation I'd rather use the best free maps available rather than see a big jump in memberships dues.

And while I can appreciate that some members might happily pay a premium for Google service, I think that Groundspeak's responsibility lies first to their broader membership. Before they invest time in creating a special membership class I'd like to give them some time to work out the kinks in the current system.