same Waymark listed in multiple categories

JL_HSTRE

I really dislike a single object being listed multiple times because it falls into multiple categories.

That said, I understand that because different categories have different requirements and different data fields they need to be separate.

However, perhaps an alternate solution would be to be able to link Waymark records if they are the same? Ideally, only 1 would show up in your search results and going to the Waymark page for one would denote what other categories it has a separate listing in. Users submitting a new Waymark and/or Category Reviewers would presumably need to make some clicks. It could be a question asked on the "Is your Waymark already listed?" screen.

Logging would likely still need to be done separately for each Waymark, but at least it makes it easier to find multiple Waymarks you can log and possibly stop cluttering you search results with duplicates.

Sorry to disagree, but I prefer the current system which seems a bit less complicated than what you describe.

As is, when I create a new waymark I can already click on "nearest waymarks" and see what's listed, for that particular item and others nearby. As a reviewer, I don't need to know what other categories a waymark is listed in since it has no bearing on whether or not that waymark is approved or declined.

I really dislike a single object being listed multiple times because it falls into multiple categories.

That said, I understand that because different categories have different requirements and different data fields they need to be separate.

However, perhaps an alternate solution would be to be able to link Waymark records if they are the same? Ideally, only 1 would show up in your search results and going to the Waymark page for one would denote what other categories it has a separate listing in. Users submitting a new Waymark and/or Category Reviewers would presumably need to make some clicks. It could be a question asked on the "Is your Waymark already listed?" screen.

Logging would likely still need to be done separately for each Waymark, but at least it makes it easier to find multiple Waymarks you can log and possibly stop cluttering you search results with duplicates.

Different categories have different requirements for logging, too. I think we have come to some widely accepted common best practice, but there are still some exceptions.

The other thing is, multiple waymarks at the same location do not necessarily mean it's always the same object. Yes, a church that is in the NRHP, an Official Local Tourist Attraction and There's a Book About it etc. could be combined, but the Cornerstone, the Sundial, the Gargoyle, the Stained Glass Window, and maybe even the Payphone around the corner are different objects. So there is no rule that could automatically combine waymarks for a given coordinate.

You got to get used to it, but I like it the way it is.

Long ago Jeremy had a similar idea that he called Stacking. I think it has merit. I have always been annoyed with a search page that shows the same exact item repeatedly in the different categories.

Of course this idea was way back in 2006 so the idea may have had its Dodo moment.

The idea of stacking does not limit the locations the waymark can be submitted to but identifies that there are x number of waymarks at this precise spot on earth.

Edited by TheBeanTeam

Long ago Jeremy had a similar idea that he called Stacking. I think it has merit. I have always been annoyed with a search page that shows the same exact item repeatedly in the different categories.

Of course this idea was way back in 2006 so the idea may have had its Dodo moment.

The idea of stacking does not limit the locations the waymark can be submitted to but identifies that there are x number of waymarks at this precise spot on earth.

Due to variables and different naming requirements, details and other factors not to mention visit instructions the idea of "stacking" as one listing no longer makes sense. Also some people only have specific interests and filter accordingly. Stacking would remove that option. People often prefer to write unique logs for each unique listing. If I logged a visit on a stained glass window it would be different from my log on a benchmark or a sundial.

That all makes sense but couldn't the items that are listed at the same coordinate show up in a search "stack" that indicated that there were 25 other waymarks at this specific location that are viewable? This would clear up searches and still not affect nearby waymarks. Not an argument but just a thought.

Capture.JPG

(edit to fix image)

Edited by TheBeanTeam

That all makes sense but couldn't the items that are listed at the same coordinate show up in a search "stack" that indicated that there were 25 other waymarks at this specific location that are viewable? This would clear up searches and still not affect nearby waymarks. Not an argument but just a thought.

Capture.JPG

(edit to fix image)

Too funny. I just used that location in another thread. Are you me?