How do I view archived caches?

JustMyName

How do I view archived caches? They don't show up on my map and I don't see a pocket query option for them.

You can't (that's why they are archived).

If they are on a publicly viewable Bookmark you will see them.

If you've found them before you can see them in your history.

If you know the GC code, you can Google it. It won't take you to it directly but if it mentioned in any other web page with a link you should get there eventually.

Edited by Huntleigh

How do I view archived caches? They don't show up on my map and I don't see a pocket query option for them.

You can't (that's why they are archived

Well, yes, you can view archived cache pages.

If they are on a publicly viewable Bookmark you will see them.

If you've found them before you can see them in your history.

If you know the GC code, you can Google it. It won't take you to it directly but if it mentioned in any other web page with a link you should get there eventually.

You don't need Google.

If you know the GC code, just plunk it on the Hide & Seek page.

Here's one to try: GC26X94

Just copy & paste that GC code and plunk it into the appropriate box:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Too bad... it would be interesting (at least for me) to read about local caches that no longer exist.

You can view archived cache pages.

The ways to find them have been posted. (Knowing the GC code, knowing the hider's usernames, knowing the finders' usernames.)

The ones that you have found are in your finds history in your profile.

You can't (that's why they are archived

Well, yes, you can view archived cache pages.

Well, yes ... I know that, which us why I pointed to ways of finding it.

The point I was making was that when a cache is archived it is archived "A place or collection containing records, documents, or other materials of historical interest"

GS has designed the system so that archived caches cannot be found readily.

Edited by Huntleigh

If you're simply looking for local archived caches in general, you can try scanning logs on caches in your area to find local cachers who have been around a while. Check their profile and you'll usually find a good number of archived caches in their hides.

With a little more work, you can identify the prolific hiders, and usually they have a number of archived caches as well.

You can also google for them, using terms like "archived geocaches in CT" to see if any bookmarks pop up.

It gets a little more difficult when you're seeking a specific archived cache, but its usually only a matter of detective work.

Do caches sometimes get completely deleted rather than simply archived? I noticed one that is no longer there that I found a while ago, but when I looked through the history, neither my log or someone else's I know found it show it as being one that's been found.

Only thing I can think of is that it's been deleted rather than archived.

Do caches sometimes get completely deleted rather than simply archived? I noticed one that is no longer there that I found a while ago, but when I looked through the history, neither my log or someone else's I know found it show it as being one that's been found.

Only thing I can think of is that it's been deleted rather than archived.

I have found two caches that were later retracted. You cannot see the cache pages, but I still have credit on my 'Found Caches' list. I'm not sure, but I think I can read my log.

Nothing is ever deleted, just made impossible to see.