Multiple Waymarks in One Location for One Category

WanderingAus

OK, I've finally been able to troll the old forums, which as an Australian I was denied access to, and I haven't found an answer to my question.

There are mixed views on Waymarking the same location in more than one category, and I agree with the view that it's a good thing, but my reason is that some waymarkers may only look up their "Favorite Categories" so could easily miss an item which would be in their "Favorite Categories" but are actually listed in a different category.

My conundrum is what about multiple items which are in one collection, for instance a military or war museum, all of which could be added in one category. Do you add them as one waymark, or each item as a separate waymark.

The military or war museum itself can be waymarked, but Waymarking all the items could result in a hundred or more waymarks all in a couple of hundred yards.

Is it all about the numbers, or is it about the quality?

Personally I would probably Waymark the first item, and include photos of all the other ones within that one, but I'm interested in the view of the more experienced Waymarking community.

:rolleyes: from The Waymarking Desert of Mexico (well, that's where my waymarks end up on any second edits). :blink:

My Waymarking Karma is currently about 14.3% (1 visit on placed waymarks / 7 total visits), which doen't compare very favourably with my Caching Karma of 234.2 % (11,298 finds on owned caches / 4,824 total finds).

When I waymark a museum I typically don't waymark things inside the museum (unless the the item is fairly rare) but I will waymark things on the grounds of a museum. For example for a military museum I would do separate waymarks for tanks and cannons on the grounds of the museum because the waymarks would be about the tanks or cannons and I would waymark the museum also.

When I waymark a museum I typically don't waymark things inside the museum (unless the the item is fairly rare) but I will waymark things on the grounds of a museum. For example for a military museum I would do separate waymarks for tanks and cannons on the grounds of the museum because the waymarks would be about the tanks or cannons and I would waymark the museum also.

I like the idea of Waymarking a lot of stuff in one spot but if I already have something I may just leave it for someone else to do later. The idea of getting a lucky 7 is kind of cool!!

Each unique item can be turned into a unique listing with its own WM CODE.

For example imagine a visit to the British Museum and the 130+ unique listings within. This is a good example of stacking and how some categories can be concentrated at a focal point.

That is an amazing stack of icons, of what amounts to a catalog of the contents of the museum! At least for waymarkable items.

Thanks for pointing out that search.

Each unique item can be turned into a unique listing with its own WM CODE.

For example imagine a visit to the British Museum and the 130+ unique listings within. This is a good example of stacking and how some categories can be concentrated at a focal point.

In general, I disagree with this approach, and many categories do NOT accept waymarks for items contained within a museum. Partly this is because many museums have prohibitions or restrictions on photography. And, photographing museum items is notoriously difficult, esp. if they are behind glass, or where lighting is poor. But, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do this anyway. One could have thousands of waymarks, all with the same coordinates, for one thing. There is a category for nearly every type of museum.

For displays that are outside the building and publicly accessible, well, that's a different matter. Each would have its unique coordinates and could probably be photographed more easily. With good photos and a good description, there could be multiple waymarks in a small area.

There are other examples, however, of clustered waymarks. A sculpture garden, or even a park, that might have dozens of sculptures will yield individual waymarks for each, probably in different categories. Some towns have mural projects with dozens of murals within a small area. Sometimes thing logically belong to a set and need to be waymarked as one group, others separately. Oh, then, for those in the U.S. there is the NRHP Contributing Building category. Some districts have hundreds, even thousands, of qualifying buildings. One can literally waymark every building on a street for blocks. So, it all depends on what the categories are and what makes sense. Cataloging a museum just doesn't make sense to me, but if it does to someone else AND to a category that would accept them, then go for it, I guess.

Alright let's try another example. Seattle's Space Needle has plenty of variety.

It may hold the record!

And, let's not forget that one can log a visit to each of these waymarks!! That can sure rack up numbers if that's what one wants.

I enjoyed seeing the Space Needle last summer after my visit to the Lilypad. Hadn't been down to it since the World Fair - just a little tyke back then.

Multiple Waymarks in same Category at one location shows what can be found there. Getting images is part of the challenge. Multiple Waymarks in different Categories also shows what is there. If original poster Waymarks one item, the other similar items can be logged by subsequent visitors, or posted as new Waymarks if Category managers want them in their collection. Post your Waymark and let managers decide.

Waymarking may not be about the numbers, like Geocaching, instead it is quality posting, where possible. Accurate coordinates with crisp images and informative text. Getting a reaction from your approver is gratifying.